Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Default Newbie...first purchase.....advice help

Hello from Oregon and thank you for letting me join this group. I will be new to RVing and am thinking of purchasing a 2005 Pleasureway Plateau with 85,000 miles. Asking price of $40,000 from private seller. Does anyone have experience/issues with this vehicle? Not sure about buying a diesel or a 22' long vehicle with no experience. Is this a fair price in today's market? Thanks
Sratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default You're decision, it's all based on market supply and demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sratliff View Post
Hello from Oregon and thank you for letting me join this group. I will be new to RVing and am thinking of purchasing a 2005 Pleasureway Plateau with 85,000 miles. Asking price of $40,000 from private seller. Does anyone have experience/issues with this vehicle? Not sure about buying a diesel or a 22' long vehicle with no experience. Is this a fair price in today's market? Thanks
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/...3043258/Values

I would ask some key questions; do you have the service records? VERY important.

Next, are the tires less than 2 or 3 years old? How old are the batteries?
Finally, how many hours on the generator? A normal generator should get 1 or 2 hours per month..... less hours is not a good thing.

Best of luck.

I have a 2012 RS and it has the 3 litre Mercedes Benz diesel.... it has the DEF which is actually a good and bad thing.

DEF allowed Mercedes to give the engine a lot more power and the V6 is very smooth, however, you have to stay on top of the emissions, tricky.

I've heard, only heard, that the older inline 5's like the one you're looking at can have challenges passing smog? Don't know where you live ? But, here in California, passing smog is a really big deal.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

Thank you for your response.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

Hi, I can't answer your price /value question but my husband and I are fairly new to Class B Pleasureway ownership too. What I can say, owning a 2011 PW has been great, cost new at the time, $85,000 we didn't pay that amount, discounts from the show at the fair. We love it, and can go anywhere and with the length, park anyplace!
shelleybeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Sprinter

Hello, we bought a 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous last year with the 5 cyl diesel. At 8800 lbs it was not required to have a smog test in our state. We have been very happy with it. 22 mpg is amazing.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

Default Yes to PW Plateau 2005

I purchased a 2005 Pleasureway Plateau TS 2 years ago this July. I paid $37 500 knowing I had to replace the generator (because of the failure of the original owner to use it regularly). The generator cost $4,000, so you could say I paid $41 500. It had 63,000 miles. I have put 28,800 miles on it and absolutely love it. I replaced the tires and had new brakes at 80 000 miles. The solenoid in the starter stuck at 88 000 and had to be replaced. Even with those wear and tear issues I still think it was a wise investmeny.

As for Diesel..no problems finding it. How expensive it is varies state to state. But I get 24 -26 mpg and can travel 600 on a fillup.

I would do it all over again even knowing of the issues I listed above.

Happy RVing
VTGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately seller decided not to sell. Back to looking..
Old 05-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default PW Plateau TS

We purchased a 07 PW on an 06 Sprinter and have been very happy with it. It had 80,000 miles on it when we purchased.

We replaced the brake pads and tires and it has been trouble free for us. Our generator had 19 hours on it a year ago and runs fine. We also upgraded coach battery to 200 Ah agm and placed new battery on top of old battery box under couch (telecom battery) on its side. Added 200 watts solar power and everything is working as it should. Fuel mileage has been steady 22-23 mpg at all hiway speeds and now done 15,000 miles.

The price you quoted seems reasonable; try to negotiate a little savings off asking and then figure on spending 10% for unknowns and maintenance items and you won’t be disappointed or surprised. Pull the trigger before someone beats you to it! These things don’t sit around at that price point. Happy travels
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Silver Member

While NADA has a lower value, PW's of this age do generally go for at least $40k in this age range. For instance, if you check rvtrader.com today there is a 2006 Plateau with 176k miles for $40k in California and nothing else in that price range for a Plateau. Many dealers will not part with a PW Diesel for a non-premium price. So, if you're comfortable with the future availability of diesel #2/B5 (avoid Minnesota), at least you should be able to avoid the DEF in that age range. I have a 2012 and have been forced to use B20 at times but without any ill effects so far. What I have done buying used, which I think is a very important thing to do, is to have it inspected by a professional. I would contact NRVIA.com and ask for their best inspector in your area. Have the engine fluid analysis done, too. The package ain't cheap, but it is worth it. After all, you're intending to spend many tens of thousands of dollars!
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I have a 2004 PW, paid around 32,000...It had a few more miles, maybe 89,000...but I have LOVED it..did put on new tires, and have redone interior, but all-in-all, GREAT RV!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

What changes have you made/upgraded in the interior?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGAL View Post
What changes have you made/upgraded in the interior?
Took out all carpeting..installed waterproof flooring in back, thick rubber machine-shop grade flooring in front...had all the couch cushions recovered, as well as the two front seats changed to leather from old fabric covering..the thought of keeping that old wall-to-wall carpeting in was horrifying!! .on outside, had bottom half repainted, striping removed..
Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 PM   #13

Thanks for reply. I'm taking out the carpeting, too. Original upholstery still in amazingly good shape and very clean. Did the machine shop grade flooring help to minimize the engine noise?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGAL View Post
Thanks for reply. I'm taking out the carpeting, too. Original upholstery still in amazingly good shape and very clean. Did the machine shop grade flooring help to minimize the engine noise?
Yes, it did, at Home Depot, large sheets I cut to fit after carpeting was removed!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #15

Hi first time on this forum. Looking for information about my class B, 2016 Coachman galleria. Trying to find Information about activating hot water heater and furnace.
Hitting the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitting the road View Post
Hi first time on this forum. Looking for information about my class B, 2016 Coachman galleria. Trying to find Information about activating hot water heater and furnace.
Welcome to the forum!

Someone here may have your exact model, but to increase your chances of a good reply from some of our other members, more information would help.

Is the hot water and furnace Suburban brand or Atwood for example?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
Platinum Member

These are generic basics, assuming these are propane appliances...
1. Ensure propane is on at the tank
2. Ensure coach battery power is on
3. For the water heater, make sure it is in operating mode. There are usually several valves that allow the heater to be by-passed.
4. Make sure the water heater has water in it.
5. Locate and,turn,on the water heater switch.
6. For the furnace, move the thermostat to a setting above the current temperature and it should come on.
7. If either appliance still does not work, Check the coach 12v fuse panel.

Be sure to know and follow rules about traveling with propane system running.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #18

Hello,thanks for advice
Croobum is offline   Reply With Quote