Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 03:26 AM   #1

Default Newbie from Juneau AK

Hello everyone,

My name is Roger and I recently purchased a 1996 Pleasure Way van with low miles via Craigslist. The van is in WA state and I hope to get down and take possession sometime in the very near future. Fortunately I was able to have my daughter test drive it for me and to check out the basics.
During my fairly extensive research I did check out this forum and am very happy to finally join and I will be checking out the various groups here.

My first step is to find a secure place to house the van until our first planned trip in March. Any suggestions for a west coast city with reasonable rates and with service via Alaska Airlines would be greatly appreciated, maybe something near Portland or Vancouver. My second step is to plan our first trip in March to "someplace warm" but not too hot. However coming from Juneau where it is currently 12 degrees anything above 45 would be about wonderful.

If anyone needs help or suggestions in planning an Alaskan road trip, especially via our Marine Highway (ferry) please let me know.
Thanks for letting me join this group and I look forward to learning and sharing.
Best,
Roger
Attached Files
File Type: doc 1996 Pleasure Way.doc (59.0 KB, 54 views)
akroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats, Roger. I can't offer storage solutions in the NW, but can endorse a spring trip to the Southwest. Central and Southern Arizona are lovely in March.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Good luck on your trip.

Watch out for weather if you are going through the mountains.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

congratulations, it looks to be in great shape, we have a 97 dodge roadtrek, very similar ,and we love it, been very dependable, and has taken us to more places than we ever dreamed of visiting. I hope you have many great trips with it, take care and good luck with it.......P;S, hoping to do the Alaska trip in the next 2 years, may message you in the future for any great ideas for our trip,,, thanks,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Nice looking van!

March - April is a good time for the SouthWestern Deserts. If there's been rain and it's later in the month, you might get wildflowers.

Don't know how long or far you want to travel, but March would still be the "off season" for Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon so it would be beautiful, but not crowded. Might still be raining and/or snowing in CA - the dry time is in the summer and fall.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the good advice from several of you to road trip through the Southwest and I think.that is what we will do. Just have time for a 2 week cruise so probably do Reno to Bryce, Zion and south rim with a few points in between.
Next agenda item is to figure out all the systems and wi.terize if needed.
Thanks again for the great teplies.
Roger
Old 01-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #7

You might want to consider storing it in Bellingham as that is the Southern most terminal in the Alaska Marine Hwy, and we service Alaska Airlines.
Oldbagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #8

At least one other from Juneau has used this place:

Self Storage Bellingham, Covered RV and Boat Storage -Gotcha Covered NW- Bellingham, WA 98225
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Thanks for the reminder and tips on Bellingham and I think that is a great long term location to home-port our van. What better way to start a road trip than a 2-3 day ferry ride to Bellingham!

But until we are both fully retired, it looks like we will have to leave the van wherever our most recent trail ends.
Thanks again for the good ideas!
Roger