Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Newbie from the PNW - Winnebago Paseo

My wife and I bought a new 2017 Winnebago Paseo on New Years Eve, and took delivery a week later. So we've had it for about 2.5 months now. It is our first campervan, but not our first camper...

We first had a pop-up, a Coleman Santa Fe while our kids were growing up. Then as empty nesters we got into riding dual sport motorcycles and bought a small toyhauler, a LivinLite 7x20, to haul the bikes to fun places to camp and ride. We really enjoyed that for a few years, but decided we wanted to move to something smaller that would be better for long road trips, and started looking at campervans.

The 4WD Revel really got our attention when it first came out, but when we saw one in person we just weren't that impressed. The build quality felt a bit lacking, and the price seemed really high for what you got. So we looked at Travatos and then the Paseo. The Paseo impressed us the most, especially when I looked at the OCCC sticker and saw that it had almost 2000 lbs capacity. So we drove it and fell in love with it.

In 2.5 months we have spent a total of 11 nights in it, with plans to spend another 7 nights in it next month. And so far it is living up to all of our expectations and more.

We tow a small cargo trailer (5x8 enclosed) with the two motorcycles and all our riding gear in that, total loaded trailer weight is about 2000 lbs, and about 250 lbs tongue weight. We get 13.5 MPG towing, and about 17 when not towing, and the Ford EcoBoost engine is a beast. The van doesn't even notice that it is towing a trailer even on high mountain passes (Conway Summit on 395 in CA at 8,138 ft is the highest we've gone over so far) on the uphills. We do have to use the tow haul mode and gear down on the downhills though.

We've been pretty happy with the build quality of the Paseo. We've had only two very minor issues that were easily fixed at home, so it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything yet. One was a bad caulking job around the toilet that caused water to leak out underneath the rig whenever someone took a shower. 15 minutes and half a tube of white bathroom silicon caulk fixed that issue. And the other was a gap between the side door frame and the kitchen cabinetry where bugs could get in when the door was opened with the screen closed. $2.00 worth of pipe insulation foam stuffed into the gap fixed that problem (and looks like it was supposed to be that way afterwards).

The only complaint we have about the design is the weird pull-out table arrangement behind the passenger seat - it interfered with the reclining of the passenger seat when not swiveled. We fixed that by reworking the cabinetry it was built into and eliminating the table. We decided that for us reclining the seat was more important than having a laptop tray available when swiveled.

Other than that, we've done a few simple mods. Added a shelf under the kitchen sink, added two shelves in the closet (since we tow a trailer, we don't need a closet for hanging clothes in - all of our bulky riding gear goes in the trailer).

We're loving it so far and looking forward to many fun trips in it!
BillsPaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Newbie from the PNW - Winnebago Paseo

Glad it’s working out for you! What made to choose it over the TRAVATO? (Just curious.)

I think the PNWis the perfect place for class b camping. Can’t wait to visit again.
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome, Bill! You will have some great adventures, for sure!

Your writeup on your new Paseo was very good. If you have time, it would be great if you could expand on it a bit and post it in the section called Manufacturers & Models. I don't think the mods would mind if you copy-and-pasted much of it from your into post. It makes things easier for folks who are researching possible rigs if they can go to that section and look at their potential models. Just an idea.

Again, welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of great folks here!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks! The main thing that swayed us to the Paseo was the cargo and towing capacity since we will almost always be towing. Also the Ecoboost engine - the power was really impressive and made the van fun to drive.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks! I'll do that next time I'm at my computer, I'm not good with cut and paste on a smartphone...
Old 03-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Thanks! The main thing that swayed us to the Paseo was the cargo and towing capacity since we will almost always be towing. Also the Ecoboost engine - the power was really impressive and made the van fun to drive.
Do you have the 3.5L ecoboost?

That's a beast.

The torque is out of this world.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Yes it is the 3.5L Ecoboost. And yeah it has pretty impressive torque!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

That 3.5 L Ecoboost Twin-Turbo engine is so popular that Coachmen is now shipping it with their new Crossfits.

Caution is advised, though. In the past six months, we have seen a couple of high-roof Transit vans with side damage that looks like a roll-over...just because it has the power of a sports car, doesn't mean it handles like one.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
That 3.5 L Ecoboost Twin-Turbo engine is so popular that Coachmen is now shipping it with their new Crossfits.

Caution is advised, though. In the past six months, we have seen a couple of high-roof Transit vans with side damage that looks like a roll-over...just because it has the power of a sports car, doesn't mean it handles like one.

That's funny.

Did they forget to order dual wheels?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

That's funny.

Did they forget to order dual wheels?
I think the van just got tired and felt like it needed a bit of a lie-down.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Okay, my review above has been copied to the manufacturers section in a new thread, with a few minor edits and a few additional details.