Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #1

Default Newbie needs help

Hi all. I am so grateful for this list
I have a "new to me" 1999 American Cruiser camper van, with less than 38,000 miles, pristine condition...garaged. It has the nice bathroom and a larger fridge and micro. Will be removing micro for storage. What I don't have is a manual or specs for the camper. I found this forum trying to research my new rig!

There were some similar posts last year from someone else needing the same info. One of your members offered to copy and send the manual pages. I'm hoping that same person, or someone they helped, will contact me.

This is not the first campervan or rv we've had, and could figure things out,but it really helps to have the specs.

Thank you in advance!
Kathie
kathie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hopefully someone will be along soon.

OT: we find our microwave handy once in a while when we are on shore power...it is also the perfect storage space for our plates and bowls- with dish towels between to control rattling.
so for us, handy to leave in place

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Default Newbie needs help..

Thanks, but we don't use/or need a microwave...
Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a 1999 American Cruiser and will pay for you to ship your microwave to me! We use the microwave all of the time and NO ONE makes one that will fit in the cabinet! Ours stopped working on our very first time out and I ended up having to take it to an electronics guru to fix it - the appliance shop I took it to said it couldn't be repaired!

The previous owners of my American Cruiser kept up a thorough notebook, so I have the original manual. However, like most camper owner manuals, it is not very helpful. Are there specific questions you have? Perhaps I can send you pictures of the pages or answer your questions directly.

We love our Cruiser and hopefully you will love yours as well.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
I have a 1999 American Cruiser and will pay for you to ship your microwave to me! We use the microwave all of the time and NO ONE makes one that will fit in the cabinet! Ours stopped working on our very first time out and I ended up having to take it to an electronics guru to fix it - the appliance shop I took it to said it couldn't be repaired!

The previous owners of my American Cruiser kept up a thorough notebook, so I have the original manual. However, like most camper owner manuals, it is not very helpful. Are there specific questions you have? Perhaps I can send you pictures of the pages or answer your questions directly.

We love our Cruiser and hopefully you will love yours as well.

So nice to read a post like this, thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #6

My brother has first dibs if it fits in his trailer, but you will be second. Our highs this week are barely above o, with wind and heavy snow, so I won't yank it out till it's a little warmer.
I guess we're needing basic plumbing,wiring layout of you have it. I have nothing but appliance info.
Would also Love to visit privately about our American Cruisers. I'm a newbie(today)!,so I'm not sure if you are able to get my e-mail through this forum.
Thank you for such a nice offer of help.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie_l View Post
My brother has first dibs if it fits in his trailer, but you will be second. Our highs this week are barely above o, with wind and heavy snow, so I won't yank it out till it's a little warmer.
I guess we're needing basic plumbing,wiring layout of you have it. I have nothing but appliance info.
Would also Love to visit privately about our American Cruisers. I'm a newbie(today)!,so I'm not sure if you are able to get my e-mail through this forum.
Thank you for such a nice offer of help.

Gosh darn kathie_l, I was not interested in the B, just commenting concerning your post - some are like? just the opposite, exaggerating a liittle.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #8

Gosh Darn Bud, don't really understand your last comment. Are you a moderator of the forum? Did I post something wrong?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Kathie-
I do not have any wiring or plumbing diagrams but can tell you what I know.

Fresh water system - your fill port is on the rear of the passenger side, so the tank is inside the carpeted wall of the really shallow cabinet right inside the door. The drain valve is on the floor of that same cabinet and the water pump is under the rear dinette seat (along with the hot water heater). Don't forget to sanitize the tank before you use it. I installed a hot water heater bypass and put a few gallons of RV antifreeze in my fresh water tank for the winter. That way, of I can head out for a weekend of camping, I can winterize really quickly.

City water - the connection is in on the driver's side in the rear.

Electrical - Pretty standard here...make sure your house batteries are good and that they can be charged from the chassis alternator. If you replace the batteries, pay attention to the connections as they should be connected in parallel. The bathroom light switch is on the padded panel on the driver's side, the under awning light is towards the front a little more on the opposite side.

Let me know if you have specific questions!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #10

Thank you again rjf7g.
So, am I right that there is no outside drain valve, so I attach a hose to the one on the floor under the kitchen sink to drain the tank? Have you done any other modifications on your Amer Cruiser? Led lights, solar system?
Our first unit was an older (70s) Dodge campervan. It had a turtle top, so about the same height. It was fully self contained,but little or no insulation.It was great,as most of our time was spent in warmer parts. We did have a solar system,and are still using that panel in another aplication.
We plan to do a lot of boondocking in some sparsely populated areas of the southwest, so will be adding solar and an inverter. We've never had a generator on any of our other rvs...
Did yours come with an actual heater, or the stupid heat pump that blows cold air below 40 degrees?!!! We are pulling that out and putting in a real propane heater.what layout do you have? We have a larger fridge w/micro and a drawer above.
What size holding tanks?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Kathie-
So, am I right that there is no outside drain valve, so I attach a hose to the one on the floor under the kitchen sink to drain the tank? --- You do not have to attach a hose, the water (or antifreeze) just drains out onto the ground under the camper.

Have you done any other modifications on your Amer Cruiser? Led lights, solar system?...a previous owner installed a solar panel. I have not done any mods, just repairs.

Did yours come with an actual heater, or the stupid heat pump that blows cold air below 40 degrees?!!! ... we have a propane furnace in ours and it is referenced in the owner's manual, so I think it is original.

what layout do you have? ... rear entry, I attached a picture of the floor plan that I found on the web and another picture of the interior I got from the web. We do not have the under cabinet coffee pot that is shown.

What size holding tanks?...I believe the fresh water tank and the single holding tank are both 30 gal.

Let me know if you have other questions!
Becky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main_int.jpg (19.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg floorplan.jpg (17.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #12

Default American Cruiser help

OK Becky! That's nice the valve is inside.
Could you send me the name and model of your furnace; also how many btu?Just so I know what they originally installed.
Is your solar panel mounted in a frame? Is it on the front? Two coach batteries? How many amp hours of battery storage?Will it run the furnace all night?
Do you dry camp ?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I will look at the furnace documentation in the next couple of days. The solar panel is on the front and is mounted on a frame. It does have two house batteries - I just bought standard Interstate RV batteries and do not know the amp hours. We have not been boondocking yet but plan to in the spring...I will take my Honda generator with us as the on-board generator in my American Cruiser is shot.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #14

Becky,
Our goal is to just use solar. We've done this before with no problems. Our Generator has very few hours and works. In what part of the country are you located? We hope to take the "Cruiser"on it's first trip South in Feb. -5 below today!!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Kathie-
I am in Virginia - I live less than 10 miles from where the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive meet.
Becky
Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Newbie needs help

I have done one mod - a friend of mine custom-made a front receiver so I can use a hitchhauler on the front and still get in and out of the rear door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front_receiver.jpg (185.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FrontReceiver-Loaded.jpg (506.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #17

Wow, I thought about doing that. Have you had any problems with it being on the front? Now that I think of it, I've seen others put a generator on the front like that. I would have to be really careful where I parked in town, but nice to know it can be done.Would be nice for some extra storage!

We usually travel from Jan. through sometime in April. I still work a seasonal business from May thru Sept., but DH retired years ago.

We are impressed with the road clearance. We do a lot of forest service,blm boondocking. Our old Dodge camper sat up high. People used to think we had 4 wheel drive! Getting in the front doors is still challenging for me as I am barely over 5ft,with short legs!!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Kathie-
I couldn't find a front receiver that was commercially available for the RAM Maxi 3500 chassis, but the custom made one works just fine. There's 6"-8" clearance to the front grill for ventilation and I don't put much weight on it - tubs contain outdoor rug, fresh water hoses, sewer hose, and electrical cords.

I do not use it when I take my golf cart with me as I am able to load up the trailer.

Becky

P.S. I don't normally look at the forum all day long, but I am at home sick and this is a good distraction.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #19

Becky,
So sorry you are sick. I have to run errands for a few hours, but glad to provide some diversion for you while under the weather.
I think you answered my next question of if you had towed anything with your Cruiser? I think you mentioned your golf cart/trailer. Have you towed a small vehicle?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Kathie-
Darned sinus infection...seeing the doctor later today.

I have just towed a 5'x8' utility trailer with a golf cart and all of the goodies shown on my front receiver - probably less than 1,000 pounds total. I do not have a vehicle suitable to tow behind it. We typically take another vehicle with us, but we have only camped within Virginia at this point. We may do a trip this summer where we will move every 2-3 days and I suspect we will just be in the Cruiser.

Becky