Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 01:20 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default old RV, new member

Hi, folks. I finally got around to joining the forum. I've owned my 1997 Roadtrek for about 15 years. The summer of 2018 we took a trip around the contiguous US states, visiting family and friends and as many national parks as possible. Great trip! I'm hoping to compare notes with other Roadtrek owners about their vehicles and experiences.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Hi, folks. I finally got around to joining the forum. I've owned my 1997 Roadtrek for about 15 years. The summer of 2018 we took a trip around the contiguous US states, visiting family and friends and as many national parks as possible. Great trip! I'm hoping to compare notes with other Roadtrek owners about their vehicles and experiences.
Welcome to the forum Tom!

You have a lot of experience to share. You'll also find a lot of postings on the older Roadtreks on the Dodge chassis if you care to search.

How long was your recent trip and what was your general route? I love to stay in our National Parks (the Senior Pass is a super money saver) and we've been lucky to stay in many even though we don't do reservations. Of course, we travel off-season and try to follow nice weather meaning other peoples kids are in school.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum Tom!

You have a lot of experience to share. You'll also find a lot of postings on the older Roadtreks on the Dodge chassis if you care to search.

How long was your recent trip and what was your general route? I love to stay in our National Parks (the Senior Pass is a super money saver) and we've been lucky to stay in many even though we don't do reservations. Of course, we travel off-season and try to follow nice weather meaning other peoples kids are in school.
Our trip in 2018 took about 2 months. We took a northern route from New England out to Yellowstone National Park, down to Arizona and back along the south to the East Coast. Yes, we made good use of the senior pass and still do. We have made two trips to Haleakala National Park this week alone, and saved $30 dollars each trip.
We love our Roadtrek. We split our time each summer in New England between it and our sailboat. The RV makes it easy to visit my kids and siblings on the mainland. All we have to do is pull into a driveway and plug in.
Thank you for the welcome!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Tom, we bought a 1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular and had it for a long time. Now, we have a 2007 210P.

Some of the greatest memories of our lives were made traveling in that 96 Dodge. Ours was seafoam green trim and matching interior with what we used to call the 318 engine. If ever there was a bullet proof motor, that must have been it.

Everything on that RT I could pretty well take care of myself and it served us very well. Essentially, as I recall, the difference between a 96 and 97 was pretty well just the number. So we can really identify with your devotion to that critter.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have a 2007 RT 210 Versatile and love it..
Having alot of fun with it. Big enough for the wife and I and we can park it in our driveway where we have 30amp service outlet. We try to take it out atleast every 6-8 weeks to just get away.
Will be taking it to Michigan this summer then on to Alaska.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the group! Do you ship your RT over from Hawaii? I've owned 1990's Class B's for around 14 years now (a 1998 Coach House and currently a 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular). I really love traveling in them - easy to drive and easy to park. I'm hoping to travel all around the states more after I retire in 3 years.

Pam
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #7

Hi Tom,
Welcome. You have so much experience. I am a new owner of a 1996 Roadtrek 210 Popular. RV technician working on initial repairs. Unfortunately, the generator is not working-he thinks it may be carburator. I think it must have sat idle for a long time. Furnace had huge wasp nest. Advice given to me regarding generator vs. solar or other systems: determine use of appliances before acting on major change [I'm assuming (risky) generator repairs will be around $1,000. ]
Gritty Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

that's a tough one- am still dragging around a genny and exercise it every few weeks

We have NEVER used in camping!
( which is why many remove them)

we are either in campgrounds with shore power

or in the boonies

we only "need" AC power for the Air Con and microwave

everything else can either run DC or propane

so when boondocking we manage to live with out the microwave..and pick destinations where we don't need Air Con

everything in a van is managing energy use

as for solar, roof mount demands you park in the sun ( hot van- I like shadey trees)

is only at peak angle for generation part of the day

may require holes in the roof

and will reduce MPG

I hope your tech gets everything working for you soon

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 PM   #9
Bronze Member

We have a 93 Versatile and love it. Has the paint flake issue but it still run and drives great. All the camping stuff works great We are the second owner and have had it 8 years. We camp whenever we can. Camped in January this year in southern Illinois. Heading for Yellowstone again this year. That 5.2 Magnum is a great motor.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:51 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Eileen!

It is a problem area for Onan generators that have not been used regularly. I'd get a "second opinion", but they can be expensive to fix. A solar bank to keep batteries topped up may be worth investing the $1000 into instead. But as Mike has pointed out, many of us who travel in mild weather have never used our generators when camping. However, if you need it, there is no lithium battery upgrade that comes close to the power a generator provides, even at 5 to 10 times the price of a generator.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:05 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
However, if you need it, there is no lithium battery upgrade that comes close to the power a generator provides

I guess that's why it's still under there and I keep it ready...a "what if"

( can always use it to power the fridge in the house if we have a power failure)

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:22 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Yeah, a backup if we somehow needed to run our roof a/c a few hours in the evening before bed until outside tempertures cooled. Never needed it as we are retired and travel in mild Spring and Fall weather. But this Covid thing has wrecked our schedule, so you never know when we might get back to traveling. And only recently has my generator begun to run reliably after 2-1/2 years of ownership. They do like to be "exercised".
Old 06-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Welcome to the forum Eileen!

It is a problem area for Onan generators that have not been used regularly. I'd get a "second opinion", but they can be expensive to fix. A solar bank to keep batteries topped up may be worth investing the $1000 into instead. But as Mike has pointed out, many of us who travel in mild weather have never used our generators when camping. However, if you need it, there is no lithium battery upgrade that comes close to the power a generator provides, even at 5 to 10 times the price of a generator.

Good luck.
Thanks for reply. I do not plan on using the generator [fumes, noise] but thought I should have it in case. I'm encouraged by the comments and am looking forward to adventures in state parks and off road. I'm excited to be part of this group.
Gritty Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote