Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default PNW Trekker

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Trek 210P the other weekend. We're located in Portland and have wanted an RV for a while....decided to pull the trigger a couple of weekends ago. I don't know what mods have been done to the vehicle and will be exploring the vehicle to learns its ins and outs. Our first official trip may be this weekend for two nights in Seaside, OR.

So, I mentioned our first official trip may be this weekend. Last weekend we stayed the night at the dealership and found a laundry list of things to fix. Most of the issues were superficial, covered under the 60 day or extended...forget which one. The two major ones are smelling exhaust when the generator is running AND a leak in the bathroom sink that apparently was around for a bit given that a bolt in the rear passenger side storage had a little rust on it. The dealership service department appears to want to do the right thing and taking the appropriate steps to do so.

Since this is our first RV, I don't know what to expect. I would assume it is like a used car, buyer beware type of thing. Thoughts?

What would you replace, upgrade, or mod in the 2010 Trek 210P?
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanpierce@gmail.com View Post
My wife and I just bought a 2010 Trek 210P the other weekend. We're located in Portland and have wanted an RV for a while....decided to pull the trigger a couple of weekends ago. I don't know what mods have been done to the vehicle and will be exploring the vehicle to learns its ins and outs. Our first official trip may be this weekend for two nights in Seaside, OR.

So, I mentioned our first official trip may be this weekend. Last weekend we stayed the night at the dealership and found a laundry list of things to fix. Most of the issues were superficial, covered under the 60 day or extended...forget which one. The two major ones are smelling exhaust when the generator is running AND a leak in the bathroom sink that apparently was around for a bit given that a bolt in the rear passenger side storage had a little rust on it. The dealership service department appears to want to do the right thing and taking the appropriate steps to do so.

Since this is our first RV, I don't know what to expect. I would assume it is like a used car, buyer beware type of thing. Thoughts?

What would you replace, upgrade, or mod in the 2010 Trek 210P?
Welcome to the forum Stevan!

From others problems (& my own) when buying a used rv, your issues seem minor at this point. Sounds like you did good, but that doesn't mean there won't be a few frustrations down the road. It just goes with the territory.

As far as the Chevy chassis goes, figure on new shocks unless they've been replaced recently. The ride and handling will benefit greatly if they are worn out. Also make sure the tires are newer (less that 5 yrs. old) and in good condition. Put 80lbs. in the rear and at least 60-65 psi in the front tires (seems to be the Express chassis sweet spot) to make sure they have plenty of load capacity.

On the coach side, just check it out good by testing it on your trip. You'll get to know it and also learn what to pack and what to leave at home. In that regard, the 210P is a bit closer to gross vehicle weight (less cargo capacity) than the 190P and, of course, all class "b's" share that problem to varying degrees. My advice is to load it up for your trip with a full tank of gas and fresh water, then find a CAT scale to get it weighed. That way you'll know where you stand.

Then go have fun and report back!

EDIT: I did not mean to imply by omission that the generator exhaust leak is a minor issue. Just figure it will be an easy fix.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
The two major ones are smelling exhaust when the generator is running...What would you replace, upgrade, or mod in the 2010 Trek 210P?
If original units, replacement CO & propane monitor. IIRC. they hve a three year expiration date.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
If original units, replacement CO & propane monitor. IIRC. they hve a three year expiration date.
I'm hoping that the dealer replaced them since the sales guy said it would be taken care of....however, a few extra $ outta my pocket for either are worth it IMHO.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum Stevan!

From others problems (& my own) when buying a used rv, your issues seem minor at this point. Sounds like you did good, but that doesn't mean there won't be a few frustrations down the road. It just goes with the territory.

As far as the Chevy chassis goes, figure on new shocks unless they've been replaced recently. The ride and handling will benefit greatly if they are worn out. Also make sure the tires are newer (less that 5 yrs. old) and in good condition. Put 80lbs. in the rear and at least 60-65 psi in the front tires (seems to be the Express chassis sweet spot) to make sure they have plenty of load capacity.

On the coach side, just check it out good by testing it on your trip. You'll get to know it and also learn what to pack and what to leave at home. In that regard, the 210P is a bit closer to gross vehicle weight (less cargo capacity) than the 190P and, of course, all class "b's" share that problem to varying degrees. My advice is to load it up for your trip with a full tank of gas and fresh water, then find a CAT scale to get it weighed. That way you'll know where you stand.

Then go have fun and report back!

EDIT: I did not mean to imply by omission that the generator exhaust leak is a minor issue. Just figure it will be an easy fix.
Yeah, I read into what you wrote! I figured that the exhaust leak would be the lowest hanging fruit out of the two. If either of those are the most I have to sorry about then doing well.

Great suggestions btw! Would you have the dealer do it or outside shop? Suggestions on shocks?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I read into what you wrote! I figured that the exhaust leak would be the lowest hanging fruit out of the two. If either of those are the most I have to sorry about then doing well.

Great suggestions btw! Would you have the dealer do it or outside shop? Suggestions on shocks?
I had a shop install my new shocks, after they agreed to install the ones I ordered. Not every shop will install customer's parts, and for good reason. But I have a good relationship with them and they're one of the few local shops that will work on rv's.

As far as suggestions for shocks goes, I went with Koni FSD's. Very pricy. Even more pricey that Bilsteins. But I went full out so that if my van didn't ride well afterwards, at least it wouldn't be because I didn't try the best. Plus, I specifically selected the Koni's because they are not gas-charged. After many years of running gas-charged shocks on various vehicles, I decided to try these with the hope they would be better at absorbing initial road impacts. When they arrived and I unboxed them, I was concerned how easily they could be compressed and wondered how well they could control body motions (the reason I was replacing shocks in the first place). Had I made a huge mistake putting them on a 9000+ lb van?

Turns out the FSD's are fantastic! Smooth riding (if you can use that description on a class b) and I'm very pleased with body control. No repeat bouncing or bobbing over bumps. Of course, any new shock will greatly out perform old worn out shocks, so the only way to know the best ones would be to swap several sets out back-to-back and test drive them. Since nobody does that, you pays your money and takes your chances.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Welcome to the IRV2.com FORUM(S).

When you first enter this group, a new Member may feel a bit overwhelmed by all the forums you can find here. First, you need to set up your USER CP

Once you open and start a menu will open on the left side just take it all in the step-by-step top to bottom.
NEXT, you will find this forum is made up of 14-Forums broken into four-part forums.

First is the HOME, top left above the member's menu. This forum is very helpful to new members to learn and become more familiar with overtime.

NEXT TO HOME is FORUMS on the top left covering Community, RV Lifestyles, Regional and RV Camping. and to the right of this is RV Forums.

RV FORUMS on the top left covers a lot about TRUCKS, Conversations, MVT's, HDT's, Travel Trailers/5th Wheel Chassis & TECH stuff, Chassis CLUB, RV SYSTEMS, Powertrain Garage.

NOW when you Post a new Tread take some time to think in which forum it should read best. Next after completing your TEXT on the bottom are TAGS, so make sure you have a few tag EXAMPLES: dog, RV, rving, campfire So try for about five if you can.

Then you have the OWNERS FORUMS Covering Registry, A-M, and N-Z.

Now if you pan down to the bottom of the page you will find other FORUMS and if you know or have a Class B, you can direct or join the CLASS B FORUMS at Class B Forums And if you get down to Florida this link may be very HELPFUL http://www.CampFlorida.com

So, welcome you again, I hope you join in the fun and share your knowledge by helping new members find their way in this forum as you would in, any RV Park. Again, make sure to set up your USER CP as this is helpful to you and other members. Again if you enjoy or think of starting your own RV Blog you can do that here as well above on menu bar is BLOGS

Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Welcome to our FORUM, may you be blessed with Happy Travels and safe Trails on all your Road Trips.