Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Question Recommendations for a Class B or B+

I would like to purchase a Class B or B+ (preferably used) as I want to travel to/explore, and “stealth camp” in cities and towns, as well as, boondock in the country. Also, I would like the RV to be able to go “off the grid” and be “four seasons” ready as possible. One other additional concern would be that I must run an air conditioner for a few hours daily (minimum) using battery power vs. using a generator as I have three dogs that would stay in the RV while I explored or took care of chores in the city or town I was visiting.

For example, I have looked at the Winnebago Bolt which would fill my requirements, but I cannot afford the suggested retail price of $206,944.00.

I am will add all the suggestions and websites that will be mentioned to my research list. I am deeply grateful for all your time and help.
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketList View Post
I would like to purchase a Class B or B+ (preferably used) as I want to travel to/explore, and “stealth camp” in cities and towns, as well as, boondock in the country. Also, I would like the RV to be able to go “off the grid” and be “four seasons” ready as possible. One other additional concern would be that I must run an air conditioner for a few hours daily (minimum) using battery power vs. using a generator as I have three dogs that would stay in the RV while I explored or took care of chores in the city or town I was visiting.

For example, I have looked at the Winnebago Bolt which would fill my requirements, but I cannot afford the suggested retail price of $206,944.00.

I am will add all the suggestions and websites that will be mentioned to my research list. I am deeply grateful for all your time and help.

Welcome to the forum!

Look at the Winnebago Travato twins if you'd consider the Promaster chassis rather than the Mercedes. They have an "L" version of their 59G and 59K that is 2/3rds' of the Boldt battery pack with a comparable reduction in sticker price.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #3

Question Decades of research so far

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I have researched the Winnebago Travato KL as it has the battery power ability to go off grid for a few hours or more https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/so-...battery-power/. It is on my list. I would prefer that the water storage container and all of the water lines be completely within the coach, as well as, fully insulated so the van is "four season" capable.

I am also looking at Camper Van Conversion companies that would provide exactly what I want. So I am still researching this like crazy.

Another consideration is that I will be traveling with my 20 year old son. So the van must have two beds and a private toilet/shower space.

So much to consider....
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Not to worry. It took us a year and a half to find the "perfect" van for us and our 70lb standard poodle. He is a support dog and goes everywhere with us (or else we don't go). That eliminates the need to cool the van when we are away and not plugged in.

Ps. - We have found several towns to be extremely dog friendly (to all dogs, not just support animals). Santa Fe, NM, Salt Lake City, UT are some. Always ask, you never know. We've found some highway rest areas to be the most restrictive. Crazy, since some reside on several acres and they restrict animals to a small corner, sometimes requiring them to be caged.

I understand most of these restrictions result from irresponsible owners, and we see some, but the neighbors where I live are much worse. Don't know what a poop bag is.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

Talking Dogs are our family

Thank you for the suggestions of pet-friendly places to visit on our trip across the USA.

Our dogs will come with us where ever we go...no exceptions. I am also aware of the HUGE responsibility that that decision entails. Therefore, their comfort and safety are paramount. Fortunately more and more RV builds are increasing their electrical system to provide for our and their needs without needing a generator or shore power as we will park in towns to explore.

I am also researching the differences between the available chassis Sprinter vs. Promaster vs Ford, in terms of reliability, safety and affordable mechanical service. Please write if anyone can direct me to honest evaluations.

Thank you once again!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfichman View Post
Just saw this forum. 2008 Roadtrek RS, bought it new and love it. None of the fancy electronics, but it has been a great rig.
Doing another cross country trip this winter from Las Cruces NM to VA & down to FL and along the gulf back to NM
I look forward to sharing info.

Welcome to the Class B Forum:

Lots of fun and helpful members here on the Class Bs in General.

If you do head down to Florida checkout http://CampFlorida.com As this may be helpful in finding that special RV Park somewhere in the state of Florida.

Also, if you do any Wal-Mart Boondocking Stops this may be a useful link. Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Now as for this Forum you may want to make note of the above two MENUs. The top Menu will open the forums for your reviews and feedbacks. The next MENU below is your MENU for inputting what you want fellow members to know about you. Please Click USER CP on the top left under the main menu and once open start at the top and slowly take them to step by step letting this forum know what you want about yourself, RV, Travels, History Thanks look forward to more POST.

Also, from time to time, you may get a note email from the administrators which you will find under your NAME on the top right.

Thanks for JOINING and Welcome to the Class B Forum. Safe Travels, Happy Trails and enjoy the adventures. Welcome.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

We are currently researching Embassy RV, specifically their Ram ProMaster offerings. We plan to full time with three older, medium to large dogs. We also like the Travato KL. I'll be interested to learn what you ultimately choose and how you like it.

All the best!
carolc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolc64 View Post
We are currently researching Embassy RV, specifically their Ram ProMaster offerings. We plan to full time with three older, medium to large dogs. We also like the Travato KL. I'll be interested to learn what you ultimately choose and how you like it.

All the best!
Welcome to the forum Carol!

We travel with one 70 lb. dog and that makes for some difficult manuvering in the narrow aisle of a class b. Three large to medium dogs. all I can say is good luck.

Let us know what you end up buying.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfichman View Post
Just saw this forum. 2008 Roadtrek RS, bought it new and love it. None of the fancy electronics, but it has been a great rig.
Doing another cross country trip this winter from Las Cruces NM to VA & down to FL and along the gulf back to NM
Look forward to sharing info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Welcome to the Class B Forum:

Lots of fun and helpful members here on the Class Bs in General.

If you do head down to Florida checkout http://CampFlorida.com As this may be helpful in finding that special RV Park somewhere in the state of Florida.

Also, if you do any Wal-Mart Boondocking Stops this may be a useful link. Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Now as for this Forum you may want to make note of the above two MENUs. The top Menu will open the forums for your reviews and feedbacks. The next MENU below is your MENU for inputting what you want fellow members to know about you. Please Click USER CP on the top left under the main menu and once open start at the top and slowly take them to step by step letting this forum know what you want about yourself, RV, Travels, History Thanks look forward to more POST.

Also, from time to time, you may get a note email from the administrators which you will find under your NAME on the top right.

Thanks for JOINING and Welcome to the Class B Forum. Safe Travels, Happy Trails and enjoy the adventures. Welcome.
Hey Dogman. Maybe you need to slow down a bit. I don't know how your welcome got posted to this thread when the OP posted here: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f46/howdy-9864.html where you also posted.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Silver Member

Keep in mind that the MSRP for BOLDT is not likely what you will pay. I have seen some on RV trader for around 150K. The travato national park foundation has the same volta pack as the Boldt and does have enhanced insulation more like a boldt. Still expensive but might save some $$$$
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 AM   #11
Bronze Member

I hope to get a good used Boldt someday soon. They should depreciate rapidly like most RVs.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
I hope to get a good used Boldt someday soon. They should depreciate rapidly like most RVs.
It's all relative. When Chevrolet Corvette's was introduced in the early 50's I thought I would be able to afford one used by the time I got my driver's license. Never happened, and now that I can afford it I already passed my middle age crisis.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Look at Panoramicrv.com very good insulation very well made made in Canada available in the U.S
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote