Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Default Rialta curious???

As long time RVers we are now considering a smaller RV that is more economical and would also be useful as a second vehicle. We would like to chat to Rialta owners about their experience with these interesting vehicles in order to determine if this is the next RV that we should buy. We don't see many in this part of Canada (British Columbia) and in fact during a 6,000 mile trip last summer we only saw three !!

We live in a mountainous part of North America and one of our concerns is whether these vehicles have enough power to handle the hills?? We would be looking for a 2002 or newer which we understand has the more powerful engine. Any input from members would really be appreciated.

UkeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello and welcome!

The Rialta is an awesome machine. I have a 1999 HD. This is the smaller engine. Even in my rig, it handles the hills beautifully keeping up decent speeds most of the time. I found that leaving the Cruise Control engaged while climbing hills seems to do the best for efficiency. There are so many things about a Rialta that I now know that I wished I had known before, so it is good of you to ask. I hope others respond soon so you can continue your trek.

There is little difference in the model years other than the bigger engine, different generator as of 2000 (they switched to Onan from Generac). I found the most useful and spacious interior was that of the HD. Others who want to sleep or ride more than two people may find other floorplans more appealing. The HD gives you the closest feel of a regular RV, has the only one with an icebox in the fridge and also the only 3 burner stove. In my rig, I also have the optional regular oven below the cooktop which is great when you want to cook without the generator on. One aspect that I have written about in here is the versatility and ease of the shower. All one has to do is try it; it is great! Something to know for self contained use is that this shower drains into the Black Tank and NOT the grey as most other RV's. The shower drains via a "Power Drain" which feeds it to the Black Tank - hence giving you more room than the 7 gal. grey tank. This explains why the grey tank is so small. I can last 2 to 3 days with careful (quick) showers while self contained.

When all is correct in your Rialta the ride and quiet are unsurpassed. At highway speeds you won't hear the engine unless you are climbing. The Air Bags in the rear make for a fantastic buffered ride (they are manually inflated but easy to deal with - just check them often). If the shocks are good there should be no clunking as you go down the road. I just replaced my shocks, not knowing this. All the while I thought my Rialta was just clunky while driving. Now, with new shocks and new front sway bar bushings, it is like a Cadillac. The door gaskets, window gaskets, etc. are superb. Another plus is the big bed in the back - providing you go with an HD, QD, that have the double bench dinette in the back. So far, it has been the most comfortable AND roomy bed I have ever had in an RV. You can be 6 ft 4in. and still fit with ease.

I could go on for another hour but to shorten this there are a few other fantastic features (including great gas mileage). BTW: Always use the Premium Fuel - you will save money believe it or not. The manual asks for it anyhow. The Motoraid feature is one of my favorite! It heats the faucet water and also the rear automotive engine heater. When you arrive somewhere you have piping hot (190 deg. F) water!!! Once you have that you will never want to be without. The automotive heater gets the unit toasty warm while driving. This saves running the generator because the water heater in Rialtas are Atwood Marine units that are electric and/or motor coolant heated. I liked the Rialta just the way it was but did change two items; the Roof AC and the kitchen faucet. The factory roof AC is too small for hotter climates but if you get a 2002 or newer the kitchen faucet should be fine. In older models they put a tiny lavvy unit that you couldn't even get a pot under to fill or wash. Otherwise, it is one fine machine and can handle high speeds with ease in an emergency which I found out when a crazy motorist tried to chase me and others. After I reached 100mph he couldn't keep up...go Rialta!

Best of luck in your search and I will always be happy to offer any help, tips, info (there is alot), etc.!!!

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For Sell

Posted By:

msnpjane

msnpjane
Send Email

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 pm |

Options