Old 02-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Should we buy Aktiv 1.0 w/o Ecotrek 65k OTD

Feb 16 - Looking at deeply discounted new Aktiv 1.0 without Ecotrek/solar. 65K our the door. Clearly no Hymer warranty but are warranties on all the appliances and other parts still honored by those companies? Dodge warranty still honored? Or because EHGNA purchased the Dodge and other parts does that throw monkey wrench into warranty claims, for example on the fridge, heater etc? Could we have solar added later, if yes pricey?

Are we crazy to consider this? Be honest!! we are not hands-on people, have no mechanical or electrical skills - but we do have a checkbook! No financing involved in this deal.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
Feb 16 - Looking at deeply discounted new Aktiv 1.0 without Ecotrek/solar. 65K our the door. Clearly no Hymer warranty but are warranties on all the appliances and other parts still honored by those companies? Dodge warranty still honored? Or because EHGNA purchased the Dodge and other parts does that throw monkey wrench into warranty claims, for example on the fridge, heater etc? Could we have solar added later, if yes pricey?

Are we crazy to consider this? Be honest!! we are not hands-on people, have no mechanical or electrical skills - but we do have a checkbook! No financing involved in this deal.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Vehicle and appliance warranties should be fine. They typically do not go into effect until delivery to the end consumer. The van itself's warranty starts when it is first titled. Hymer almost certainly did not take title to the vehicle. They hold a so-called "certificate of origin", which is not a title.

If I were in the market, I would be all over this situation. There are going to be great bargains to be had. But, I am a DIYer and consider upfitter warranties all but worthless. YMMV.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
jon
Platinum Member

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just spent a LOT more money to have a Transit EB converted to the same floorplan but honestly I would have loved to get a deal like that and have FWD as opposed to RWD.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Gold Member

Also posted the question on FB groups most are saying itís not s great deal? Donít do it? They said too much tweaking needed would cost a fortune. Not sure if we should wait it out. Appreciate your advice. Might make offer. Live dangerously itís only money lol
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

One issue we've heard about is the loss of coolant if the hoses get cut. Another issue mentioned recently was overcharging. There's the risk of damaging the low mounted second alternator. All could likely leave you and the RV stranded somewhere.

Or you might get lucky and get a RV that works great. It's like a roll of the dice.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

LaMesa RV is sitting on over 120 new EHG NA Class B vans in inventory. I would hold out and wait for a much better deal.

EHG NA was such a large player in this segment and their absence will be felt across a broad range of employees industry-wide.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm reading in Facebook groups that RV dealerships are not getting any parts in any way, shape, or form.

On one hand, buying one may be a good deal. On the other hand, RT stuff is extremely proprietary, so you might be majorly hosed when your VoltStart system doesn't work, or there are issues with batteries.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
Gold Member

Totally agree, that's why we were looking at something without all the proprietary stuff. I think it's really risky, husband seems to think it's a deal, Stay tuned.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
One issue we've heard about is the loss of coolant if the hoses get cut. Another issue mentioned recently was overcharging. There's the risk of damaging the low mounted second alternator. All could likely leave you and the RV stranded somewhere.

Or you might get lucky and get a RV that works great. It's like a roll of the dice.
I think this only applies to AKTIVs with Ecotrek and voltstart with the second alternator.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Since it's not an Etrek like the OP stated, I'd suggest making an offer including an aftermarket warranty at least on the RV part if possible, or say, 5yr/100k on the whole unit?
The FCA and appliance warranties will be covered by their respective makers.

Offer $60k, or walk...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aktiv, hymer, purchase, warranty