Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Should we buy Aktiv 1.0 w/o Ecotrek 65k OTD

Feb 16 - Looking at deeply discounted new Aktiv 1.0 without Ecotrek/solar. 65K our the door. Clearly no Hymer warranty but are warranties on all the appliances and other parts still honored by those companies? Dodge warranty still honored? Or because EHGNA purchased the Dodge and other parts does that throw monkey wrench into warranty claims, for example on the fridge, heater etc? Could we have solar added later, if yes pricey?

Are we crazy to consider this? Be honest!! we are not hands-on people, have no mechanical or electrical skills - but we do have a checkbook! No financing involved in this deal.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
Feb 16 - Looking at deeply discounted new Aktiv 1.0 without Ecotrek/solar. 65K our the door. Clearly no Hymer warranty but are warranties on all the appliances and other parts still honored by those companies? Dodge warranty still honored? Or because EHGNA purchased the Dodge and other parts does that throw monkey wrench into warranty claims, for example on the fridge, heater etc? Could we have solar added later, if yes pricey?

Are we crazy to consider this? Be honest!! we are not hands-on people, have no mechanical or electrical skills - but we do have a checkbook! No financing involved in this deal.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Vehicle and appliance warranties should be fine. They typically do not go into effect until delivery to the end consumer. The van itself's warranty starts when it is first titled. Hymer almost certainly did not take title to the vehicle. They hold a so-called "certificate of origin", which is not a title.

If I were in the market, I would be all over this situation. There are going to be great bargains to be had. But, I am a DIYer and consider upfitter warranties all but worthless. YMMV.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
jon
Platinum Member

I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just spent a LOT more money to have a Transit EB converted to the same floorplan but honestly I would have loved to get a deal like that and have FWD as opposed to RWD.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Gold Member

Also posted the question on FB groups most are saying it’s not s great deal? Don’t do it? They said too much tweaking needed would cost a fortune. Not sure if we should wait it out. Appreciate your advice. Might make offer. Live dangerously it’s only money lol
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

One issue we've heard about is the loss of coolant if the hoses get cut. Another issue mentioned recently was overcharging. There's the risk of damaging the low mounted second alternator. All could likely leave you and the RV stranded somewhere.

Or you might get lucky and get a RV that works great. It's like a roll of the dice.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

LaMesa RV is sitting on over 120 new EHG NA Class B vans in inventory. I would hold out and wait for a much better deal.

EHG NA was such a large player in this segment and their absence will be felt across a broad range of employees industry-wide.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm reading in Facebook groups that RV dealerships are not getting any parts in any way, shape, or form.

On one hand, buying one may be a good deal. On the other hand, RT stuff is extremely proprietary, so you might be majorly hosed when your VoltStart system doesn't work, or there are issues with batteries.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
Gold Member

Totally agree, that's why we were looking at something without all the proprietary stuff. I think it's really risky, husband seems to think it's a deal, Stay tuned.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
One issue we've heard about is the loss of coolant if the hoses get cut. Another issue mentioned recently was overcharging. There's the risk of damaging the low mounted second alternator. All could likely leave you and the RV stranded somewhere.

Or you might get lucky and get a RV that works great. It's like a roll of the dice.
I think this only applies to AKTIVs with Ecotrek and voltstart with the second alternator.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Since it's not an Etrek like the OP stated, I'd suggest making an offer including an aftermarket warranty at least on the RV part if possible, or say, 5yr/100k on the whole unit?
The FCA and appliance warranties will be covered by their respective makers.

Offer $60k, or walk...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #11
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just spent a LOT more money to have a Transit EB converted to the same floorplan but honestly I would have loved to get a deal like that and have FWD as opposed to RWD.
After reading a little more I want to delete this suggestion but I can't. I think you get what you pay and a good deal from an out of business Co. might not be so good.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:23 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Totally agree, that's why we were looking at something without all the proprietary stuff. I think it's really risky, husband seems to think it's a deal, Stay tuned.
The biggest consideration I see is, since you are locked in to a <20ft. rv, you have few options. Therefore, so long as the Activ does not have the lithium (proprietary Ecotrek) or under hood generator (hence no chance of belt cutting radiator hose) you could do well with the Activ.

All you need to do is get a great price, and I think as the public becomes aware of the Roadtrek situation, prices may come down even more in the coming months. I see it as a new rv at used rv prices and enough discount would make me feel good, even without a warranty.

The one additional caveat is test all systems thoroughly before your purchase just as you would a used vehicle. Once you it drive off the lot, it's yours.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
The biggest consideration I see is, since you are locked in to a <20ft. rv, you have few options. Therefore, so long as the Activ does not have the lithium (proprietary Ecotrek) or under hood generator (hence no chance of belt cutting radiator hose) you could do well with the Activ.

All you need to do is get a great price, and I think as the public becomes aware of the Roadtrek situation, prices may come down even more in the coming months. I see it as a new rv at used rv prices and enough discount would make me feel good, even without a warranty.

The one additional caveat is test all systems thoroughly before your purchase just as you would a used vehicle. Once you it drive off the lot, it's yours.
One advantage for owners in CA are the two independent RT service techs who will be able to continue to provide service no matter what the dealers will do.

Tony Pineda and Dan Nealy are the service techs, Tony posts regularly on the Roadtrek (and has access to parts to service Ecotrek batteries) and Hymer Owners Group on Facebook and Dan is at...

Home
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Maybe Tony and Dan will come up with a relatively affordable conversion to AGM for the lithium systems, as even with parts available, the lithiums are likely going to be very expensive to maintain without warranty. You may be able to convert for the cost of a repair.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
Silver Member

Sounds like a great deal. I'd try and see if they would go to 60k.. What's the harm in wheeling and dealing?

I also believe that upfitter warranties are useless. But that's just based on my30 plus years with several different manufacturers. Look at it like your buying a used RV... That no one else jacked up yet. I'm not a huge fan of Roadtrek and Winnebago based on their fit/finish. But d@mn, 30-40 % off on sticker, and I'd consider picking one up myself. Money left over to mod it the way I always wanted. Good luck!
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Depending on price of course, but you are in the Wild West. The dealer could still offer you a warranty or you could buy a third party one. The systems like heater, refrigerator, pumps, etc are not exclusive to Hymer. You might even be able to source things like custom plastic parts from Hymer in Europe.

As long as you are avoiding the ecotrek stuff, then I think you could manage. I would want a guarantee from the dealer on things like doing fit and finish adjustments, and leaks. If the dealer is saying AS-IS, NO WARRANTY, then you'll need to very thoroughly inspect and get a VERY low price.

Good luck!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
Site Team

My advice is to forget about paying for a third-party warranty. There is no possible universe in which they make economic sense, ever. If the dealer wants to buy you one for free, then ask for the cash instead.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
My advice is to forget about paying for a third-party warranties. There is no possible universe in which they make economic sense, ever. If the dealer wants to buy you one for free, then ask for the cash instead.

That is a good point, especially in this case, as lots of third party warranties have pages of disclaimers and could easily have something about repair part availability. That could shoot the coverages on the lithium stuff if Roadtrek is closed and they say the same vendor parts but not Roadtrek aren't covered.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #19
Gold Member

Default We did it! Purchased an Aktiv 1.0

Made the plunge today Feb 17,

Aktiv 1.0. No Ecotrek, wired for solar may add later, 67K our the door includes CA sales tax/DMV.

Any recommendations on 3rd party warranty? Heard lots of negative comments.
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Made the plunge today Feb 17,

Aktiv 1.0. No Ecotrek, wired for solar may add later, 67K our the door includes CA sales tax/DMV.

Any recommendations on 3rd party warranty? Heard lots of negative comments.
Congratulations!

I know you already know, but curious if the dealer was up front about the lack of factory warranty?

I'd probably save the money for a warranty and put it towards repairs. There is a wealth of information on this forum to help you do-it-yourself when the need arises. Plus, Promaster chassis has it's own warranty and appliances likewise for the first year or so.

And one more thing. Go over the exterior with a fine tooth comb looking for any potential water leaks. If unsure, caulk again. You don't want to wind up like Logan with a long term leak and cabinet damage.

It's a brave new world out there. Dangers, pitfalls, troubles abound. But so do great experiences, fun, and memories.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aktiv, hymer, purchase, warranty