Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

Question showers in Plateau TS

I am new to the RV world (so new that I really don't own one yet) but have been looking over the Road Trek and Plateau TS for about 8 months. WHEW! I was wondering if anyone has a problem with the plateau vanity getting wet when the shower is used. With an endless supply of hot water, I would really like to use the shower but don't want to ruin the wonderful cabinetry. The sales people were not helpful, so I thought I would come to people who really know - the owners. Thank you in advance and have a wonderful and safe holiday!!!!
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

on the TS models I have seen, a curtain is pulled around you to protect the cabinetry---look at pics, you'll see the curtain runner attached to the ceiling.

I am of a minority who do not use the RV shower- so is that a do or die decision for you?
For us, we don;t want to deal with the moisture in the RV- and most everywhere we go there are showers ( and the rv has an outdoor shower wand if we need it)

we based our model decision more on the bed than any other single feature

we have a 2006 PW. Lexor TD, very happy with the build quality

here's the TS, look at the 4th pic:

http://www.pleasureway.com/pleasure-way-plateau-ts/

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the insight, mkguitar. I guess I was only considering the moisture in the bath and not the entire coach. MMMM, something else to consider. I guess the "fantastic fan" does not take care of the moisture? I was hoping it would. But again, thanks for your prompt response, and have a happy New Year.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Then basically you are saying you'll only use your van to go to campgrounds that have showers for you to use.

That's really limiting in my view.

I think your concerns about moisture are over-blown. Most of the shower stalls are on-piece construction and have ventilators in them.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Not at all! I just want to use the shower without trashing the cabinetry, regardless of where we are.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The shower curtain protects the vanity. It did so for five years with us with no sign of damage. There was a ceiling vent (no fan) and the Fantastic fan just outside the door would take care of moisture.

Moisture is a bigger problem in cold temperature conditions when you have your Class B completely sealed up.

Don't assume you'll take a shower like you do in your home due to your grey tank and water tank capacities. You really can't stand under a running shower unless you are in a full service campground with your water hooked up to city water and your waste tank is hooked up to a campground sewer to allow you to run continuously. But then you will run out of hot water in under 6 gallons due to your Suburban 6 gallon water heater.

You can easily shower with less than 2 gallons use if you do the "Navy shower" technique. First wet yourself down as fast as you can. Turn off shower. Soap yourself all over. Then turn shower back on and rinse as fast as possible. It is best to do both shower operations hand held and not by just standing under it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Thank you Davydd for this response. I was looking for Pleasure Way owners who had experience with this and you are IT!!!! Again, thanks for the input. This pushes me more toward the Plateau. Never thought about the weather being the issue but that does make sense. Thanks again and have a very happy new year!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Rok
Platinum Member

When we first got into RVing, one of the things we thought we'd have was our own facilities so we could avoid getting plantar warts, fungus, etc. that one commonly catches in public showers. We had both went through extensive and expensive treatments to get rid of plantar warts at a foot doctor, and we didn't want to repeat the experience. So, we tried to use the rig shower exclusively for quite a while. We found it easier to take "spit baths by filling the bathroom sink and washing ourselves out of it. If we were hooked up to city water we would rinse off with the shower head, but the pressure was so low usually that we had to kind of "throw" the water on ourselves.

Eventually we started using the showers in the parks, but wore our dedicated flip-flops (we called them thongs & not flip-flops where I came from) for showering. The facilities at parks vary from being as nice as a luxury resort to something I wouldn't want to wash a dog in. So, sometimes we still elect to bathe in the rig.

We have a Great West Legend SE (2013) & it has a large bathroom/shower like the Plateau with the additional benefit of the little room you can "build" for drying off by opening the bathroom doors. We also have a diesel hydronics heater unit so we kind of have continuous hot water, so we're not limited to 6 gallons like the propane water heaters.

...Rok
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Team

It amazes me how varied the opinions run about on-board showers (and even toilets). I have taken a shower in our van literally every morning I have ever spent in the van. It is about my favorite feature, second perhaps to having our own bed. But there are clearly many others who sell their vans with totally unused heads. And, of course, you see every opinion in between.

Fascinating.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
It amazes me how varied the opinions run about on-board showers (and even toilets)..
Before we bought our B we rented a unit in Ireland (Awesome!) with a wet bath.
The downsides were fresh water consumption and grey water tank filling up...and the condensation- even with door closed and fan on. and the energy use for the water heater ( gas bottle).

Our own B has aisle shower and outside shower wand- we use the campground shower or if remote, the outdoor shower.

Our RV toilet only sees liquids- even paper goes in a bin.
I tour with rock bands on buses- the #1 rule is no #2.
This way you avoid tough clean outs and chemical experiments under neath. We essentially run chemical free, odor free.
( sickness requires a double bag method for the solids- the "bag of shame")

On the road we use the arena showers- with flip flops I have avoided and foot fungus or warts in over 35 years on the road- no kidding, I have showered more times in hockey arenas than I have in my own home.

a few tour buses have showers in them, we usually use this space to stack cases of beer. to fire up the water heater and the weight of extra water is a pain.

We find this a comfy way to travel.

mike
Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I tour with rock bands on buses- the #1 rule is no #2.
I'm not joining your band.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I'm not joining your band.
You get 10 Dudes on a bus, feet are bad enough...

Mike
Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We tour with a zinc wash tub and take our weekly Saturday night baths.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #14

I have a 2006 Plateau Ts and I shower in it and my cabinet is fine but you have to pay attention to the shower curtain. The curtain has velcro to attach to the wall and you need to sit and not spray towards the cabinet. I always have the vent open and use a small window squeegee to remove excess water from the walls after my shower. My RV isn't damp after showering.
gimpy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #15

I don't understand about no #2 - What do you do when you have to GO?
SunVegan is offline   Reply With Quote