Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default Simmering in Texas


Hello from Tyler, Texas....Couple of octogenarians exploring this wonderful nation... just bought a 2008 RoadTrek on a Freightliner chassis with the Mercedes Benz diesel engine...we are newbies, last night was our first time on the road... heading for Washington DC... What a great way to start our national trek...We are doing it while we can...any advice is welcome...Larry and Jeannie
__________________

Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmiler View Post
Hello from Tyler, Texas....Couple of octogenarians exploring this wonderful nation... just bought a 2008 RoadTrek on a Freightliner chassis with the Mercedes Benz diesel engine...we are newbies, last night was our first time on the road... heading for Washington DC... What a great way to start our national trek...We are doing it while we can...any advice is welcome...Larry and Jeannie
Welcome to the forum Catsmiler!

Great decision to do it while you can. If you have any specific questions. let 'er rip. Otherwise, expect a few mechanical problems along the way any some full parks and campgrounds, as new travelers have outpaced new camp sites.

Tighten the turbo hose clamps, keep a close eye on tire condition/air pressures, and drive safe while you explore the big wide world out there.
__________________

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Thanks for the gracious welcome and sound advice... checking those turbo hoses right now... looking forward to participating in the many forums available... Catsmiler
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
New Member
 
twodaisies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
Default

Enjoy your trip, from another Jeannie here in Ohio!

Stay safe and if you haven't already, there's several apps like AllStays that are great for finding camping if you need places to stay along the way.

Best advice; be flexible, and stop for the brown signs along the highway you never know what adventures await!
twodaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 27
Default

Do plan to incorporate The Natchez Trace in your route to Washington. A beautiful drive, only one stop sign, no trucks, beautiful scenery, lots of wildlife lots of history and some nice campgrounds. 55mph limit good road, nice shoulders. Go to I 20 then east to Jackso MS. Get on there. Then on up to Nashville.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 40
Default Simmering

Welcome and enjoy the travels. In addition to turbo resonator and tires, I would suggest you replace serpentine belt if you donít know when it was last changed. Reasonably easy to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined $25 belt or about $150 all in if someone else does it for you. I was thinking about ours and of course it broke right before July 4 and no one would look at since they were in holiday mode. Ended up getting replacement belt and enlisted youtube university and did it myself after only two shops still open said I would have to come back after the holiday. Could not wait as we had places to be.

Also you can buy a National Park pass lifetime for $80 and donít forget to ask for your seniors rate at campgrounds often 50% off and even free in some states. Lots of free camping other than Walmarts if you use several of the apps including Google. Happy travels.
__________________
Ken
_____________________________________________
Now! 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N)
Formerly - 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: co
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmiler View Post
Hello from Tyler, Texas....Couple of octogenarians exploring this wonderful nation... just bought a 2008 RoadTrek on a Freightliner chassis with the Mercedes Benz diesel engine...we are newbies, last night was our first time on the road... heading for Washington DC... What a great way to start our national trek...We are doing it while we can...any advice is welcome...Larry and Jeannie
Yes. If itís a Roadtrek Agile, check carefully around your house batteries. First, check the brake lines that drop down alongside the house batteries for corrosion - most have it. RoadTrek refuses to fix these anymore despite a past recall due to NHTSA reports of at least one full brake failure. Batteries out gas acid, acid corrodes brake lines, brakes fail.

And second, in the same, in their wisdom, Roadtrek also relocated the engine control computer to *beneath*, yes, beneath the 2 house batteries, with no drain other than to drip acid on the connectors and the cable ties - *yes, cable ties* they used to restrain the relocated engine control computer. Fortunately, Mercedes uses very high quality, sealed connectors, but theyíll fail eventually.

Bill
lomcevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Default

Congratulations! Sounds exciting.

One thing to keep in mind: A common sentiment of many people heading into their second year of travel and reflecting on their first, is that they wish they'd logged fewer miles and smelled more roses along the way.
TomTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmiler View Post
Hello from Tyler, Texas....Couple of octogenarians exploring this wonderful nation... just bought a 2008 RoadTrek on a Freightliner chassis with the Mercedes Benz diesel engine...we are newbies, last night was our first time on the road... heading for Washington DC... What a great way to start our national trek...We are doing it while we can...any advice is welcome...Larry and Jeannie
Definitely agree with the comment about Natchez Trace. It starts in Mississippi and ends just south of Nashville. If it's too late to drive it going to DC, maybe you can do it coming back, or another trip.

Caution: Because this coach is a "new to your" vehicle it is very important to either buy a torque wrench and socket and check your lug nut torques or stop at a tire store and ask them to do it. I do my own. I let a Firestone dealer rotate my tires and they over torqued the lug nuts damaging the lug nuts. Damaged lug nuts loosen. We were on the 10th day of a 7000 mile trip when someone we visited commented that we had a wheel with missing lug nuts. I inspected and all four wheels of our 2004 Roadtrek were MISSING lug nuts and some were only finger tight. God blessed us. We had just drove the Pacific Coast Highway looking over bluffs into the Pacific. We replaced all the lug nuts immediately. No issues since then, but I check the torque after every time that someone touches our coach multiple times to make sure they are not loosening.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodaisies View Post
Enjoy your trip, from another Jeannie here in Ohio!

Stay safe and if you haven't already, there's several apps like AllStays that are great for finding camping if you need places to stay along the way.

Best advice; be flexible, and stop for the brown signs along the highway you never know what adventures await!
Jeannie...We are checking out AllStays right now...Thanks for the tip...And we will most definitely be exploring those brown signs...We just saw the Caddo Indian Mounds in Alto, Texas...Nor much to look at but the people we met there were locals that had been born on or near the mounds...They had the most intriguing accents...part Indian and part pure Texan...people are so much more interesting than the historical monuments...they provide a living history and are usually willing to articulate their own slice of life...We are heading for DC and see some of the greatest monuments to our own American history, hoping we meet folks that share our excitement...81 years old and I still get excited when looking at our great national monuments...Larry and Jeannie
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston@charter.net View Post
Do plan to incorporate The Natchez Trace in your route to Washington. A beautiful drive, only one stop sign, no trucks, beautiful scenery, lots of wildlife lots of history and some nice campgrounds. 55mph limit good road, nice shoulders. Go to I 20 then east to Jackso MS. Get on there. Then on up to Nashville.
Looking forward to that route...Thanks for the info...Larry and Jeannie
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomcevok View Post
Yes. If itís a Roadtrek Agile, check carefully around your house batteries. First, check the brake lines that drop down alongside the house batteries for corrosion - most have it. RoadTrek refuses to fix these anymore despite a past recall due to NHTSA reports of at least one full brake failure. Batteries out gas acid, acid corrodes brake lines, brakes fail.

And second, in the same, in their wisdom, Roadtrek also relocated the engine control computer to *beneath*, yes, beneath the 2 house batteries, with no drain other than to drip acid on the connectors and the cable ties - *yes, cable ties* they used to restrain the relocated engine control computer. Fortunately, Mercedes uses very high quality, sealed connectors, but theyíll fail eventually.

Bill
Thanks Bill...You just scared the crap out of me...I'm looking for an RV repair shop here in Tyler...Don't want to hit the road with a potential brake failure...just had the lug nuts torqued, tire pressures checked, and the oil and filters changed...asked him if he knew where the turbo hoses were and could he check to see if they were tightened...he didn't know where the hoses were on the 3 liter diesel...I can see two batteries in the engine compartment, drivers side, nothing under them that I can see...gas engines I know enough to get myself in trouble...diesels I know nothing about, including what the computer looks like and where it is located...looking at the engine specs I find nothing referring to the computer...Thanks for the pre-trip advice...Larry and Jeannie
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTrek View Post
Congratulations! Sounds exciting.

One thing to keep in mind: A common sentiment of many people heading into their second year of travel and reflecting on their first, is that they wish they'd logged fewer miles and smelled more roses along the way.
We will definitely be checking out those brown signs as we make out way around this great nation...Thanks, Larry and Jeannie
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
Definitely agree with the comment about Natchez Trace. It starts in Mississippi and ends just south of Nashville. If it's too late to drive it going to DC, maybe you can do it coming back, or another trip.

Caution: Because this coach is a "new to your" vehicle it is very important to either buy a torque wrench and socket and check your lug nut torques or stop at a tire store and ask them to do it. I do my own. I let a Firestone dealer rotate my tires and they over torqued the lug nuts damaging the lug nuts. Damaged lug nuts loosen. We were on the 10th day of a 7000 mile trip when someone we visited commented that we had a wheel with missing lug nuts. I inspected and all four wheels of our 2004 Roadtrek were MISSING lug nuts and some were only finger tight. God blessed us. We had just drove the Pacific Coast Highway looking over bluffs into the Pacific. We replaced all the lug nuts immediately. No issues since then, but I check the torque after every time that someone touches our coach multiple times to make sure they are not loosening.
Thanks, Grif...Had the tire guy check all the tires for lug nut torque and pressure...Thanks for tip and sharing your near accident...you are blessed, indeed...Larry and Jeannie
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
mloganusda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 328
Default

Also check into Corp of Engineers parks along the way. The senior pass is half cost and most have water & electric for $12-$15 per night. Lots around Nashville, TN

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas and Scotland (via Peru)
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Also check into Corp of Engineers parks along the way. The senior pass is half cost and most have water & electric for $12-$15 per night. Lots around Nashville, TN

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
Thanks...will do as suggested... never considered Corps of engineers...
Catsmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Dogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 101
Default

Welcome to the IRV2.com FORUM(S).

When you first enter this group, a new Member may feel a bit overwhelmed by all the forums you can find here. First, you need to set up your USER CP

Once you open and start a menu will open on the left side just take it all in the step-by-step top to bottom.
NEXT, you will find this forum is made up of 14-Forums broken into four-part forums.

First is the HOME, top left above the member's menu. This forum is very helpful to new members to learn and become more familiar with overtime.

NEXT TO HOME is FORUMS on the top left covering Community, RV Lifestyles, Regional and RV Camping. and to the right of this is RV Forums.

RV FORUMS on the top left covers a lot about TRUCKS, Conversations, MVT's, HDT's, Travel Trailers/5th Wheel Chassis & TECH stuff, Chassis CLUB, RV SYSTEMS, Powertrain Garage.

NOW when you Post a new Tread take some time to think in which forum it should read best. Next after completing your TEXT on the bottom are TAGS, so make sure you have a few tag EXAMPLES: dog, RV, rving, campfire So try for about five if you can.

Then you have the OWNERS FORUMS Covering Registry, A-M, and N-Z.

Now if you pan down to the bottom of the page you will find other FORUMS and if you know or have a Class B, you can direct or join the CLASS B FORUMS at Class B Forums And if you get down to Florida this link may be very HELPFUL http://www.CampFlorida.com


So, welcome you again, I hope you join in the fun and share your knowledge by helping new members find their way in this forum as you would in, any RV Park. Again, make sure to set up your USER CP as this is helpful to you and other members. Again if you enjoy or think of starting your own RV Blog you can do that here as well above on menu bar is BLOGS

Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Welcome to our FORUM, may you be blessed with Happy Travels and safe Trails on all your Road Trips.
__________________

__________________
The outdoors never gets old to me, what an adventure, full of FREEDOM. checkout the "OUTDOORS in an RV" DogMan
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×