Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Simplicity SRT

On my way to pick up the first ever RV... I know what I expect from it and how I would to to use ... but will see how all works out.
Whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congratulations! The Simplicity SRT is a nice, straight forward RV. I just looked at a 2018 on Monday and am awaiting pricing on a 2019. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Well, I drove it home. It handled like any big van would. I shut down all switches and hope to spend some time in it over the weekend. I do not have a way to plug it in so I hope that as I drive the underhood generator will charge the coach battery. First RV of any kind so lots of learning to do.

I got 17.4 mpg (displayed) so far will see when I fill up and calculate it manually. Prbly will need to fill in fresh water, the propane tank and so on.
I am pretty occupied until the end of July but will do extensive overnight testing in August.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Can't you find a way to plug into a 15a standard household outlet? They are required by most building codes to be installed on the outside of single family homes. All you need is a 30a to 15a plug converter and maybe another extension cord.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I have those outlets as I plugged my Leaf in those until I installed a true car charger with a 40A breaker.

The cable I got (with the unit) it has the 240 plug. House was built 2 years ago so it is easy to add another 240 but if I would find a cable to plug into a 120 plug and could plug into the RV on another side I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
I have those outlets as I plugged my Leaf in those until I installed a true car charger with a 40A breaker.

The cable I got (with the unit) it has the 240 plug. House was built 2 years ago so it is easy to add another 240 but if I would find a cable to plug into a 120 plug and could plug into the RV on another side I would do it in a heartbeat.
I thought a Simplicity plugged into a 120V 30A service. All you need is this adapter because charging only needs to take 15A. You might not be able to run your air conditioner is about all.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-15...FVFvAQododsEuA
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Thank you for letting me know. As I stated I am really new to this thing and still learning. I will get the adapter and try out maybe even today...if I can find one
Old 06-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
Bronze Member

New question . I tried the cooktop burners but it did not seem to light up. The tank seems to be full , the water heater comes on so I guess there is propane coming into the system.

The sparks I can see but the burners never ignite . Is there a second valve for the burners besides the main shut-off valve ?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I'm not sure if you are on Facebook, but there is a RT Zion and Simplicity Group. It's a good resource for help and ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735416186750462/
Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Bronze Member

No facebook for me... sorry
Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
No facebook for me... sorry
Whynot

Old 06-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I said the same thing. I created an account with my real first name and made-up last name. I put no other info on my account. I found the Facebook groups invaluable for getting help and information. I maintain my privacy but still participate in the groups.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
On my way to pick up the first ever RV... I know what I expect from it and how I would to to use ... but will see how all works out.
Congratulations! We bought a 2018 Simplicity SRT a month ago and are on our way across the country-! We have had a lot to learn but no issues.
Fico4gapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

We routinely hook up to our 15 amp garage outlet using an adapter from Walmart.
Jonathan Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
New question . I tried the cooktop burners but it did not seem to light up. The tank seems to be full , the water heater comes on so I guess there is propane coming into the system.

The sparks I can see but the burners never ignite . Is there a second valve for the burners besides the main shut-off valve ?
When you turn the knob to start or the lighting position you MUST PUSH the knob in untill the flame burns a few seconds, like a gas fireplace. Pretty sure you didnt push the knob in.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:10 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Im a new-b too but have driven 12K miles the last two months. Your cord may look like a big 220V thing but its really a 30A and the 30 to 15 will be at ant RV store or on line at Amazon
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:53 AM   #17
Bronze Member

Thank you all. I have figured out the gas thing as I have another fireplace which does the same. I got my wife to sign up for the Facebook group as she has an account. I figured and bought both a 39 to 15 and a 50 to 30 amp conversion cord for home and for cam site on case of 50A plugs.

I even did the first dump today. Not too much in the black tank but the grey was 3/4 full so it was an experience ( the first one) . I downloaded the How-to manuals and slowly finding things out one by one.

Again thank you for you our help, hopefully this weekend we can get out for an overnight and see how things work in a real situation .
Old 06-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you all. I have figured out the gas thing . . . I got my wife to sign up for the Facebook group as she has an account . . . . .

OOooh you are going to regret it. LOL

While you are at it, join the other FB groups as well, Travato, Aktiv, PW, Instant Pot... they all use similar appliances and equipment. If one can't help you, the others will.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you all. I have figured out the gas thing as I have another fireplace which does the same. I got my wife to sign up for the Facebook group as she has an account. I figured and bought both a 39 to 15 and a 50 to 30 amp conversion cord for home and for cam site on case of 50A plugs.

I even did the first dump today. Not too much in the black tank but the grey was 3/4 full so it was an experience ( the first one) . I downloaded the How-to manuals and slowly finding things out one by one.

Again thank you for you our help, hopefully this weekend we can get out for an overnight and see how things work in a real situation .
We found other RVers to be very helpful on our first voyage. There's a steep learning curve, but since most systems are similar, regardless of the RV, we had a couple of people offer assistance when they saw us struggling. You'll have it worked out in no time!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
We found other RVers to be very helpful on our first voyage. There's a steep learning curve, but since most systems are similar, regardless of the RV, we had a couple of people offer assistance when they saw us struggling. You'll have it worked out in no time!
I have looked for how to manuals and have been unable to find them. Where did you find them?
Thanks
Fico4gapp is offline   Reply With Quote