Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 AM   #1

Default Small B for five !

Hello all we are a small (big !) familly of five from Canada (quebec) So our class b mothorhome need to sit/sleep 5 (2 adults, 3 kids).

We really wanted a Promaster or Sprinter frame but we did not find any on the market that can fit 5 (sit/sleep). We found that Safari Condo make a GMC van (lsx) that fit five so we ordered one. We'll get it in september !

We have a lot of question about our future van. Our objective is to be very autonomous, so maybe some of you could help us by sharing ideas with the same type of van !
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the Safari Condo, so I will let others assist you.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Hi,

We are a family of 4 also looking if it's possible to travel with a class B. I've spoke with Safari condo people at the RV show this weekend here in Montreal and they told me it was possible to ad a permanent bed in the lower area of the FLEX models ad add a single matress in the front seats area. I've search to see if anyone already tried that but so far nothing (probably because there isn't a lot of safari condo Flex out there).

I've sent Safari condo emails to get more info and I'll keep you informed if there's new infos.

Regards
lukes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Roadtrek Simplicity with couch in rear. Seats 5 (2 up front, 3 on couch in back with one lap belt.). Sleeps 1 small child on front seats, 2-3 in rear on slide out couch (size of queen), and if you go outside the box a bit, you can build a "bunk" above the couch. It advertises to sleep 3, but the front sleeping over the captains chairs would only be for children. I am in process of building a single bunk over the rear slide out couch to accomodate sleeping for 3 adult size people. My wife and I on the queen and our growing son above sleeping width wise. With the Promaster you can sleep width wise without issue if around 6' in height or less. Also, there is space to sleep on the floor for 1. If I had to stretch it, I could sleep 1 small child up front, 2 adults in the slide out bed and 1 adult on the floor. Add future bunk and that is one ore adult. Other option would be something from Sportmobile with poptop to allow for 2 down 2 up sleeping, just depends on need for seperate sleeping areas or not. If I was building, I would do Promaster with bunks on each side at rear for easy 4 person sleeping and maybe more depending on height of bunks.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Sorry for additional response. Also, with the RT Simplicity, kids can watch TV/play Xbox, etc. at rear couch while adults are up front in cab.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #6

Haven't tought about that beceause you need to DIY. With the Safari condo no modifications needs to be made (Ram - ProMaster FLEX). The bed raises over with an electric motor and you can add another bed under. If you ever do these modifications you're talking about on the Roadtrek I would be curious to see some pictures.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I really cannot imagine that many people (I don't care how small) sleeping comfortably in a class B...I hope it works out well for you!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #8
Site Team

If it were me, I would send the kids out into a tent for routine camping, with an "everyone inside" plan reserved for extreme weather or other unusual conditions.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:50 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
I really cannot imagine that many people (I don't care how small) sleeping comfortably in a class B...I hope it works out well for you!
5 people in a class B? No problem....just be sure to remove all sharp objects from the coach.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Good luck with that idea. We've done that. My wife and I took our son and two grandsons from La Crosse, Wisconsin to Washington, DC and back, over 2,000 miles total. A Class B is not designed to sleep 5 inside the shell and probably 4 at the most. Then you block every door and can't move around easily. You will overwhelm your facilities. You have to carry extra baggage for every passenger that most Bs have no space for. The most practical way is to take a tent along which requires sleeping bags, etc. If you do that you might as well travel in a more versatile minivan with tents. This was a one-time event never to be repeated again. We used a tent.

Riding on a back electric sofa/bed with three seat belts. Lots of electronics to keep kids occupied including the TV with DVDs.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #11

Here's a picture of the 2 beds in the Safari condo (FLEX models):

https://www.discountquebec.com/wp-co...e-photo-10.jpg
Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I should be able to post pictures of my rough prototype in the next day or so. I have built a single bed over the slide out couch. One of our criteria was ability to carry 5, sleep 3. The RT simplicity has the bed over the front seats, but it is for small children/people. I needed a better solution. Right now, our 12 yo son can sleep on the floor, but that is not ideal for any of us. Some obviously depends on size of kids. We did not go Safari/Winnebego as I was concerned with long trips in what appear to be upright seats in front of the bathroom. Our last trip was 50 hours, 2000 miles, over 11 days, so comfort for long periods in vehicle was needed. With 3 of us, it is a bit crowded and movement must be orchestrated, so depends on size of people and overall needs.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Pictures of prototype bunk bed. Many kinks to still work out but concept is there. One picture shows bunk prototype with couch folded out and pad on floor = 4 people. Fifth could be upfront on bed ( I could sleep there in a pinch at 6', but that is less than desirable). My goal was to be able to sleep 3 comfortably and the bunk will get us there so no one has to move or be tripped over. low cost solution that allows couch usage during normal transit and holds 5 with seatbelts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2377.JPG (12.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2378.JPG (28.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2379.JPG (32.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2380.JPG (33.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Very cool!
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #15

Very nice !

We also sleep 5 in a B. A modified Sprinter XL Flex. Everyone has his space.

Day setup
2 adult can seat in the front seat.
2 kids / adults on a small bench just behind to front seat
2 kids / adult on a convertible bench on the back of the van
In the day setup there is a mechanized bed lift just under the cabinet that allow the kids or aldult to have enough head room in the back to be seated.

Night setup
1 kid in the front seat
2 adults on the convertible bench to a queen bed
2 kids on mechanized bed lowered a little bit over the lower queen bench

Perfect setup in a 22' feet Sprinter
Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Do you have any pictures of the rear bed setup?

Thanks
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #17

The bench go down and make queen-ish size bed, I can setup the height of the upper bed with a switch. So 4 people can squeeze in those two beds. The other place to sleep is over the front seat. I put a small table between the two seats and add put two foam cushions with a solid base that go from one window to the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear_bench.jpg (161.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Rear_Bench2.jpg (157.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Brilliant. I like it. Thanks for sending the pictures.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote