Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Default SoCal newbie

At age 43, I decided to quit working for the man, get rid of all my stuff, and move into a 2000 Rialta QD with my girlfriend, a dog, and a cat.

We bought the Rialta back in August from Rialta Heaven since we were having problems locating this particular style. They were extremely patient, helpful, and encouraging with us through the entire purchase process.
We just started our longest adventure yet, heading over to South Dakota to get registered and licensed, and then heading down to Arizona to see about getting some solar installed.

So far, the vehicle has been a champ for us, with only an issue with the fridge which is why we are currently parked outside of Rialta Heaven so that they can get it running again for us. And while we are here they will install the tranny cooler as well as check the engine light that popped on this morning.

Our hopes for this new lifestyle is to seek out and explore trails wherever we can and eventually put a book together about our adventures (gf is a writer).

Looking forward to meeting many fellow nomads along the way.

Shacky

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default SoCal newbie

Welcome Shacky! I wish people wrote more on this site. You wrote in October and here it is December. I hope all went well at Rialta Heaven? I have a 1999 HD and bought an OBD code reader as I had many issues with that Check Engine light coming on. After everything was squared away at the VW dealer it has been fine. Those lights stay on until the problem is corrected or the code is reset; they don't clear themselves. It sounds like you will have a wonderful adventure. I hope you keep this site posted on things as they go. It might be a bit tight for the two pets but you will work that out. The unit is quite the design in versatility. If you really like the Rialta and all it has to offer, you may consider an HD should you ever want to change. This would offer a bit more walking around space, bigger fridge (with freezer), and bigger galley. My HD has the optional lower oven which I like so you don't have to use the generator to cook. VW makes a solar panel that also sits on the dash and plugs into the port under the steering wheel to charge batteries. The panel is the size of a large laptop but works! Not sure if you are planning to be hooked up to campgrounds or just want to go self contained? Keep posted on this site in case you have questions, etc. I live in Arizona and it is great here (other than July-Sept). Too hot for the Rialta, although I put a new 13,500 btu AC unit on the roof that even handles this crazy heat with no prob. AND uses only 8.2 amps at full draw on the generator which is less than the old 7,100 btu unit. Good luck with the journey and writing!!!

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote