Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #21
BBQ
Platinum Member

This might be what you are looking for:

Doug Chases’s 4×4 Sprinter Conversion – Equipment List

4X4 Conversion: Whitefeather Conversions of Red Bluff, CA, did the Sprinter 4×4 conversion. This includes: 4.5 inch lift, HD-welded steel subframe constructed of box tube and high tensile steel plate to replace OE lighter weight sub frame, attaches to Mercedes-Benz body in stock location with stock bolts, manual hub locks, 6,000-lb. load rated Dana 60 Super mono-beam front axle with rear axle appropriate gear ratio, HD Rancho steering stabilizer, open front differential front disc brakes (approx. 36 % bigger than OE Sprinter), 2 speed manual shift New Venture NV271F transfer case (low gear is a crawling gear with transmission in low), oversized front and rear Roadmaster chrome-moly sway bars with poly bushings, Bilstein gas pressure front shock absorbers, Rancho gas pressure adjustable rear shock absorbers, pair billet aluminum rear wheel adaptors, set of 4 forged polished aluminum 17-inch wheels with center caps (spare tire mounted on steel wheel), BFG Rugged Trail E-rated tires, Dana Spicer front driveshaft, OE rear shaft shortened and rebalanced, steel rear lift blocks, Tri-8 rear U-bolts, Pari multileaf rear springs, Tru Trak Gear Drive front differential.

Rock-Crawling 4×4 Sprinter – Sprinter RV

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #22
Platinum Member

The Whitefeather Sprinter 4x4 conversion does provide a more capable 4x4 system but you are still limited by tire size if you want to go rock crawling and to get more clearance. Bigger tires are easier to do on an Econoline or Chevy van 4x4 conversion. All depends on how you are going to use it.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
As has been mentioned several other times, anything with duallies is never going to be very good off road, as they are just too wide to work right. Plus I don't think they have lockable axles on either end, so you have pretty much a two wheel drive. All the expedition and military vehicles use big single wheels and if they need more capacity they add extra axles in line with the other single wheels axles.
I agree. I have had this conversation so many times with people that I don’t even bother anymore. Duallies are not as good as single wheels when off roading or for traction, period, for a myriad of reasons. Seems people won’t believe it because they own a dually vehicle and aren’t buying into reality.
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Whitefeather

There is a thread titled Whitefeather 4x4 Sprinter vs Mercedes Factory 4x4 on SportsmobileForum with some owner feedback on Whitefeather conversions. Interesting feedback on the improved clearance and locker capabilities but also cautionary about Whitefeather's quality control and customer support issues. Definitely worth a read if you're considering Whitefeather.

BTW, Agile Offroad apparently now has a Sprinter 4x4 suspension upgrade system available for improved articulation and ground clearance. Looks like Agile is steering clear of lockers and messing around with Mercedes differential and stability control systems for now. Perhaps wise restraint given the Whitefeather issues experienced by TNeuer.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Doug Chase certainly has a nice rig, but I'm an older female so he lost me at, "We didn’t feel we needed a bathroom in the van."
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:16 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Default Sprinter Conversion

BBQ - I have talked to Whitefeather and like every up-fitter I have spoken to so far, they were very good about explaining their design and process. It is the most expensive 4 x 4 conversion I have looked into so far, about double what Quiggly and Quadvan charge for their Ford Transit conversions.

There is a thread on the Sportsmobile Forums, "Whitefeather 4x4 Sprinter vs Mercedes Factory 4x4".

Whitefeather 4x4 Sprinter vs Mercedes Factory 4x4? - Page 2 - Sportsmobile Forum
Skutumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #27
jon
Platinum Member

Default 2015 sprinter 4x4 144" low roof owner

Hi Skutumpah,
I haven't tested the 4x4 capabilities but I can tell you that the system is really a push button AWD system with a low range transfer case. It has open differentials and uses antilock brakes to control wheel spin. It's a fantastic system to drive on snow covered roads. Like a big Subaru, but I wouldn't want to take it "off road."
The worst thing about it is it's like a part time AWD system. You have to stop to engage the system. Before I knew it wasn't really a part time 4x4 I tried to stop on the shoulder to engage the AWD system when I hit snow and stop to disengage it when the snow was over. After three mountain passes I left it engaged and it worked perfect! If I knew it was going to be a system like this I wouldn't have ordered the hi/lo range 4x4. I think the hi range is shift on the fly.
I'm thinking to sell the thing because of the diesel engine. I think I would have less problems with the FWD gas Promaster.

Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:45 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Hi Skutumpah,
I haven't tested the 4x4 capabilities but I can tell you that the system is really a push button AWD system with a low range transfer case. It has open differentials and uses antilock brakes to control wheel spin. It's a fantastic system to drive on snow covered roads. Like a big Subaru, but I wouldn't want to take it "off road."
The worst thing about it is it's like a part time AWD system. You have to stop to engage the system. Before I knew it wasn't really a part time 4x4 I tried to stop on the shoulder to engage the AWD system when I hit snow and stop to disengage it when the snow was over. After three mountain passes I left it engaged and it worked perfect! If I knew it was going to be a system like this I wouldn't have ordered the hi/lo range 4x4. I think the hi range is shift on the fly.
I'm thinking to sell the thing because of the diesel engine. I think I would have less problems with the FWD gas Promaster.

Jon
Quigley offers a conventional 4WD conversion for the Ford Transit.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

The 4x4 system is "stupid", odd, strange, unusual, odd, unusual...
Only a German engineer would think it is a perfectly normal operation.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Quigley offers a conventional 4WD conversion for the Ford Transit.
The point is that I never wanted a 4x4 van but the wife/boss wouldn't let me trade in her SUV without getting a 4x4. You know that it snows like once a year here in Seattle and she doesn't want to get stuck.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The 4x4 system is "stupid", odd, strange, unusual, odd, unusual...
Only a German engineer would think it is a perfectly normal operation.

Can you imagine having to teach that to your kids, wife, grandparents, whatever every time they wanted to use the van. Nobody is going to remember it unless they do it all the time.

Complexity for the sake of complexity.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
The point is that I never wanted a 4x4 van but the wife/boss wouldn't let me trade in her SUV without getting a 4x4. You know that it snows like once a year here in Seattle and she doesn't want to get stuck.
Cheaper and easier just to have her stay home that day!
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #33
BBQ
Platinum Member

No wonder the Subaru is so popular at the Northwest.