Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Smile Trip of a Lifetime

Greetings fellow travelers, I recently joined to gather as much information for my first class B purchase and to be part of like-minded community of nomads. I'm trying to make my mothers last wish come true but finding the "perfect" RV has been quite the challenge. Gas or Diesel is a constant battle in my mind as so is the daily internet searches that have me glued to my computer. I am honoured to chauffeur my mother on this trip of a lifetime, and so if you all can help me jumpstart the endeavor with the tips and valuable information you all have gathered in your years of RVing I am all ears please share with me. As our journey moves forward I will in return enjoy sharing stories and photos from our adventure. Thank you for accepting my member request, I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Ciao Ciao
Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum, Eglo!

Perhaps if you posted some of your requirements, the members could help you figure out what you need. For example, do you require a shower in the van? Toilet? Are you looking for new or used van? How much do you want to spend? Does your mother need a wheel chair or power chair? Do you need enough battery power to run a CPAP?

How "handy" are you? Can you tolerate an older vehicle that may need repairs?

Do you intend to stay at campgrounds that have shore power and water and restrooms or are you planning on camping without these features? That will affect how much battery and water storage you need.

Good luck in your search - the time you spend with your mother will be something special for the both of you, I'm sure.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome Eglo!

Some good advice in Phoebe3's post. If you have the substantial resources available ($60-$80K) to purchase a newer rv, I'd recommend a 2-4 yr. gasoline old unit with reasonably low mileage. As previously stated, a newer unit should be more reliable and the prior owner should have resolved any initial problems.

Please find a competent mechanic or rv inspector to look it over for you prior to any purchase.

Good luck.
'
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Your biggest risk is buying an RV you can't use. There have been new ones in the shop the first year. The 2-4 year old gasoline unit advice is good and would lower the chance of buying something that needs to be sorted out.

The chance is higher that a diesel unit will have teething problems.

You probably have only one chance to make this trip and you don't want to be part of an RV horror story of which there are many.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Gold Member

Go on some short practice trips before the big one! This gives you a chance to feel things out and realize what you really do and don't need to bring with you and how better to plan your schedule, knowing how far you can drive per day, and how long the ins and outs of the day take to accomplish. RV life is slower than home life. You don't drive as fast and the set up/take down/get ready to go can take a bit longer than expected. It also gives you a chance to find any issues with your rig and how long things like propane and battery power will last.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #6

Hello, Eglo, Welcome aboard. Whereabouts are you in Florida? I ask because I'm in south Florida and wouldn't mind letting you tour our new to us class B (2004 Xplorer)

Also, We have a 1991 Roadtrek 190 popular that we have for sale.( New tires and complete tune up about 1K miles ago.) Only 95K miles. toilet but no shower.
Highway Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Pilot View Post
Hello, Eglo, Welcome aboard. Whereabouts are you in Florida? I ask because I'm in south Florida and wouldn't mind letting you tour our new to us class B (2004 Xplorer)

Also, We have a 1991 Roadtrek 190 popular that we have for sale.( New tires and complete tune up about 1K miles ago.) Only 95K miles. toilet but no shower.
I live in Naples and I don't need a shower a toilet for mother, as I fixing on going to national and private campgrounds where there will be showers also we an on getting gym memberships for on the road freshening up.my email is ESChrome@yahoo.com
Old 02-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
Go on some short practice trips before the big one! This gives you a chance to feel things out and realize what you really do and don't need to bring with you and how better to plan your schedule, knowing how far you can drive per day, and how long the ins and outs of the day take to accomplish. RV life is slower than home life. You don't drive as fast and the set up/take down/get ready to go can take a bit longer than expected. It also gives you a chance to find any issues with your rig and how long things like propane and battery power will last.
I've planned plenty of trips with a varying of 6 to 10 hour drive periods. I no loner want to be inconvenienced by searching for hotel rooms, a Class B will give us "freedom". I take mother on mini-vaca's where we drive to a state and stay in hotels along the way she even went camping with me once in Colorado, but this last trip we want to be more in nature to connect with God; to see all the beauty we have been gifted on this Earth. Hotels get expensive and I was thinking that at least with a RV we can sell and recoup some money or I can keep and when mother passes I can run away from the heartache till I'm exhausted then settle back into the house we shared. Does that make sense?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Your biggest risk is buying an RV you can't use. There have been new ones in the shop the first year. The 2-4 year old gasoline unit advice is good and would lower the chance of buying something that needs to be sorted out.

The chance is higher that a diesel unit will have teething problems.

You probably have only one chance to make this trip and you don't want to be part of an RV horror story of which there are many.
Exactly and so how do I make the best choice with a limited budget. I'm so very frustrated. There are moments I want to give up and spend my life savings or just give up. My only other option to keep cost low is to buy a newer cargo van and build it out myself, but my mother doubts I can do it mainly because I'm a woman, that said I change the oil in my car and do all home repairs, I even filed my air-conditioner once. What should be a pleasure is turning out to be a nightmare.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome Eglo!

Some good advice in Phoebe3's post. If you have the substantial resources available ($60-$80K) to purchase a newer rv, I'd recommend a 2-4 yr. gasoline old unit with reasonably low mileage. As previously stated, a newer unit should be more reliable and the prior owner should have resolved any initial problems.

Please find a competent mechanic or rv inspector to look it over for you prior to any purchase.

Good luck.
'
Yes that is pretty much my cap price. Have you all seen this video, I follow this YouTube he really seems to know his stuff. He is analytical like myself. https://youtu.be/9hzP133RIoE
Old 02-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You could rent a Class B or C for your trip and not spend so much money to buy. Do you plan on keeping the MH for years of use?

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #12
Platinum Member

There are several places to look:

Craigslist
Facebook
RVT.com
RVTrader.com

I'm sure you will find something. If you are willing to travel to pick it up, you can increase your options.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Eglo!

Perhaps if you posted some of your requirements, the members could help you figure out what you need. For example, do you require a shower in the van? Toilet? Are you looking for new or used van? How much do you want to spend? Does your mother need a wheel chair or power chair? Do you need enough battery power to run a CPAP?

How "handy" are you? Can you tolerate an older vehicle that may need repairs?

Do you intend to stay at campgrounds that have shore power and water and restrooms or are you planning on camping without these features? That will affect how much battery and water storage you need.

Good luck in your search - the time you spend with your mother will be something special for the both of you, I'm sure.
Yes, what I'm needing and searching for is basics. good insulation,Two twin beds, a toilet, outside shower and bedding for my German Shepherd, air-conditioning and heat, swivel seats, and a sink, I prefer a Dometic/ARB portable type of fridge/freezer over the fixed kind, so I don't even need a built in fridge. 2 burner stove and prepping room that faces out not the set up where my back is to the sliding door. A back door for sure, solar, TV, radio and internet access. In fact we don't even need a kitchen set-up because wherever we decide to camp-out we will stay for a while and I can set up my walk-in tent as an out-door kitchen and even and outdoor bathroom. Our main thing is sleeping and toilet, Sight-seeing is our main objective. I am an avid camper and have every camping gadget one can think of. I''m even considering buy a newer cargo van and building it out myself but as I mentioned before mother doesn't have the confidence I do that I can do this with help from a professional for wiring and solar and air-conditioning.I don't need it to be fancy inside but rather function and form. I've watched thousands of hours of DIY videos in the past two years, I'm a quick study and have beginning building experience. I am a seamstress by trade which means I can follow a pattern and instructions, I have put together most of our furniture and lighting myself, even put up a short wall and patched flooring. If I could find a professional to help me build out this would be the way I would go without even considering buying a Class B. Most Important is reliability if vehicle because this is a sight-seeing tour I need to make sure the vehicle will make it safely across country back and forth at least once! Everything else is comfort and convenience. Let me know what you think, thanx. P.S. mother does not need anything special other than a comfortable bed, step and handle to assist her into the coach and a toilet. She is 88 but still spry although she is just now recovering from a bad fall resulting in broken wrist and broken ankle. Surgery and recovery have been hard but manageable. My health is perfect, and my German Shepherd is 6 yrs. tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
There are several places to look:

Craigslist
Facebook
RVT.com
RVTrader.com

I'm sure you will find something. If you are willing to travel to pick it up, you can increase your options.
Yes, willing to fly out to the location for pick-up, no problem. And yes I've been all over those web-sites many times over...still looking. Either too pricy, high miles, unreliable or not the right lay-out. Some one mentioned that retirement communities are a good resource to findng a Class B, do you know of any that advertise on-line?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
You could rent a Class B or C for your trip and not spend so much money to buy. Do you plan on keeping the MH for years of use?

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
Yes, I would like to hang on to it for awhile because when mother passes I will want to retreat into the mountains and travel around as a healing tool for my grieving process. There is no way I could stay in the house we shared and where I nursed my father too. In fact the traveling will be helpful in finding my next sticksNbricks. I've had 30+ years of tragedies, I'm looking forward of living the nomad life for a few years.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Try this URL for built ProMaster Vans.
https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=54
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Bronze Member

the dealership called and say they have this used RV for 40,000 what do you all think?https://www.gerzenysrvworld.com/inv/...okomis-V0055B/
Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #18
Platinum Member

That is very similar to my Airstream Avenue (& the Roadtrek 190), except the one they are selling has twin rear beds, which is good for your situation. It has an aisle bath (ours is a wet bath). You have to use the open bathroom doors for privacy, but it has a very nice bath sink and cabinet and I believe you shower in the aisle. Actually not a bad idea since our wet bath is very snug and you have to shower seated on the toilet if you're tall.

The Chevrolets' are not as squared off and roomy as some of the newer Sprinter, Promaster, and Transits but my wife and I like it fine. The Chevrolet models have a good mechanical reputation. The price and miles on this Pleasureway seem pretty good too.

So take your Mom to see it. Look at any other "b's" on their lot to get a comparison. Don't act all enthusiastic even if you like it. Offer a few thousand less with the option of having the coach and chassis inspected. Make sure they test everything. It will be a few hundred dollars well spent. If all is in good shape, this could be a very nice van.

Now, expect to spend a few thousand on possibly new tires, batteries, shocks, fluid service, etc. This is pretty common on 10 yr. old vans, but you'll get many miles before it needs these items serviced again. And you want to be a trouble-free as possible so you enjoy your trip.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #19
Bronze Member

I've decided to build out my own. Buying a newer van and doing the insulation walls and flooring myself.Have a professional put in the fantastic fan, and some air conditioning. Then buy the Disk O beds strap that in, a composting toilet...for now. I have all the best camping gear. later install solar and a 2 burner with a sink and an outside shower. This is enough to get us on the road I can add as we go along, most important is reliability and safety therefore I'm now looking for a newer model with lowest miles either gas or diesel I still haven't decided on a preference.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Eglo,

The 2008 Pleasure Way seems to fit your requirements. The Chevy/GM chassis and engine are reliable. I'd offer them $35k. Have a mechanic check it over. If it passes then you are ready to go. If you build out a cargo van it will take months.

If you are set on buying a newer cargo van, are you going to get a Hi-Top (raised roof)? I would definitely get a Hi-Top van to be able to stand up in it and to have storage cabinets. If not, then it will be a major pain having to walk hunched over inside the van.

David

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote