Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #1

Smile Trip of a Lifetime

Greetings fellow travelers, I recently joined to gather as much information for my first class B purchase and to be part of like-minded community of nomads. I'm trying to make my mothers last wish come true but finding the "perfect" RV has been quite the challenge. Gas or Diesel is a constant battle in my mind as so is the daily internet searches that have me glued to my computer. I am honoured to chauffeur my mother on this trip of a lifetime, and so if you all can help me jumpstart the endeavor with the tips and valuable information you all have gathered in your years of RVing I am all ears please share with me. As our journey moves forward I will in return enjoy sharing stories and photos from our adventure. Thank you for accepting my member request, I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Ciao Ciao

Eglo Stelaria Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum, Eglo!

Perhaps if you posted some of your requirements, the members could help you figure out what you need. For example, do you require a shower in the van? Toilet? Are you looking for new or used van? How much do you want to spend? Does your mother need a wheel chair or power chair? Do you need enough battery power to run a CPAP?

How "handy" are you? Can you tolerate an older vehicle that may need repairs?

Do you intend to stay at campgrounds that have shore power and water and restrooms or are you planning on camping without these features? That will affect how much battery and water storage you need.

Good luck in your search - the time you spend with your mother will be something special for the both of you, I'm sure.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome Eglo!

Some good advice in Phoebe3's post. If you have the substantial resources available ($60-$80K) to purchase a newer rv, I'd recommend a 2-4 yr. gasoline old unit with reasonably low mileage. As previously stated, a newer unit should be more reliable and the prior owner should have resolved any initial problems.

Please find a competent mechanic or rv inspector to look it over for you prior to any purchase.

Good luck.
'
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Your biggest risk is buying an RV you can't use. There have been new ones in the shop the first year. The 2-4 year old gasoline unit advice is good and would lower the chance of buying something that needs to be sorted out.

The chance is higher that a diesel unit will have teething problems.

You probably have only one chance to make this trip and you don't want to be part of an RV horror story of which there are many.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
Silver Member

Go on some short practice trips before the big one! This gives you a chance to feel things out and realize what you really do and don't need to bring with you and how better to plan your schedule, knowing how far you can drive per day, and how long the ins and outs of the day take to accomplish. RV life is slower than home life. You don't drive as fast and the set up/take down/get ready to go can take a bit longer than expected. It also gives you a chance to find any issues with your rig and how long things like propane and battery power will last.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #6

Hello, Eglo, Welcome aboard. Whereabouts are you in Florida? I ask because I'm in south Florida and wouldn't mind letting you tour our new to us class B (2004 Xplorer)

Also, We have a 1991 Roadtrek 190 popular that we have for sale.( New tires and complete tune up about 1K miles ago.) Only 95K miles. toilet but no shower.
Highway Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Pilot View Post
Hello, Eglo, Welcome aboard. Whereabouts are you in Florida? I ask because I'm in south Florida and wouldn't mind letting you tour our new to us class B (2004 Xplorer)

Also, We have a 1991 Roadtrek 190 popular that we have for sale.( New tires and complete tune up about 1K miles ago.) Only 95K miles. toilet but no shower.
I live in Naples and I don't need a shower a toilet for mother, as I fixing on going to national and private campgrounds where there will be showers also we an on getting gym memberships for on the road freshening up.my email is ESChrome@yahoo.com
Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
Go on some short practice trips before the big one! This gives you a chance to feel things out and realize what you really do and don't need to bring with you and how better to plan your schedule, knowing how far you can drive per day, and how long the ins and outs of the day take to accomplish. RV life is slower than home life. You don't drive as fast and the set up/take down/get ready to go can take a bit longer than expected. It also gives you a chance to find any issues with your rig and how long things like propane and battery power will last.
I've planned plenty of trips with a varying of 6 to 10 hour drive periods. I no loner want to be inconvenienced by searching for hotel rooms, a Class B will give us "freedom". I take mother on mini-vaca's where we drive to a state and stay in hotels along the way she even went camping with me once in Colorado, but this last trip we want to be more in nature to connect with God; to see all the beauty we have been gifted on this Earth. Hotels get expensive and I was thinking that at least with a RV we can sell and recoup some money or I can keep and when mother passes I can run away from the heartache till I'm exhausted then settle back into the house we shared. Does that make sense?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Your biggest risk is buying an RV you can't use. There have been new ones in the shop the first year. The 2-4 year old gasoline unit advice is good and would lower the chance of buying something that needs to be sorted out.

The chance is higher that a diesel unit will have teething problems.

You probably have only one chance to make this trip and you don't want to be part of an RV horror story of which there are many.
Exactly and so how do I make the best choice with a limited budget. I'm so very frustrated. There are moments I want to give up and spend my life savings or just give up. My only other option to keep cost low is to buy a newer cargo van and build it out myself, but my mother doubts I can do it mainly because I'm a woman, that said I change the oil in my car and do all home repairs, I even filed my air-conditioner once. What should be a pleasure is turning out to be a nightmare.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome Eglo!

Some good advice in Phoebe3's post. If you have the substantial resources available ($60-$80K) to purchase a newer rv, I'd recommend a 2-4 yr. gasoline old unit with reasonably low mileage. As previously stated, a newer unit should be more reliable and the prior owner should have resolved any initial problems.

Please find a competent mechanic or rv inspector to look it over for you prior to any purchase.

Good luck.
'
Yes that is pretty much my cap price. Have you all seen this video, I follow this YouTube he really seems to know his stuff. He is analytical like myself. https://youtu.be/9hzP133RIoE