Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Default Wanna Be new to RV'ing with questions

Hello all and soon to be retired and going to Hershey next month to look at Class B RV's. So far I am looking at Hymer and Road Trek because I love the Volt Start (will travel with our dog) and love the under hood generator and getting rid of the propane generator for boondocking.

Questions:

What has been your experiances good or bad with the Promaster Chassis and does one assume that any Dodge dealer can service it. Leary of the MB cost and service cost after the sale. I would have preferred the Transit Van.

Hymer from reading face book post sees to have some QC issues anybody have a Hymer and can speak to this topic and I am interested in the good or bad about the cassette toilet, sailors here so used to porta potties.

when on the highway do truck stops have dump stations and propane fill up as well maybe water? Live outside Washington DC so RV shops and dump sites are not that plentiful or at least I never paid attention to where they are.

Thanks in advance and anything else I should be thinking about as right now I am concerned about Service after the sale of a class B RV and what brand I can trust to be top notch. THANKS
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a Promaster and no issues at all, going out of warrantee this month, servicing is dirt cheap. The cassette toilet is the norm in europe but people here complain about throughly rinsing them out if used for #2. They can be dumped in any toilet so no dump station needed. I have a Dry toilet so I just toss the cartridge in any trash container.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

what RV is on your Promaster and what is your MPG's, how many miles and does a Dodge dealer do the engine chassis service?

Thanks in advance
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Just turned 20K on my Travato (Promaster) and no serious issues on chassis. Be leery of dealers. After service dealer interview immediately after purchase, nearly a year later they dented a lower rocker on passenger side when lifting to rotate tires. Any attempted repair would exacerbate damage.
Brake squeal when nearly stopped and fuel tank replaced due to early kickback when filling only issues, so far.
Very happy with Promaster overall, especially the turning radius!
Gobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
what RV is on your Promaster and what is your MPG's, how many miles and does a Dodge dealer do the engine chassis service?

Thanks in advance
Milage around 20k, Dealer does the service and its so cheap I get it done after a long trip or 3k. MPG 14.5 to 19 depending on how fast you go. At 60mph you should get 18-19mpg easy. 75- 80mph will put you in the 14's. I only use it for trips and Costco runs. I built this one.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote