Old 09-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #11

Nothing set in stone yet - just all those options are too new & expensive for our budget.

My leading contenders for a build would be:

- Stepvan. Aluminum body. Cummings/Alison or Chevy 350 based drivetrains. 6.5' of interior height (I'm 6'3"). Different lengths available.

- Box truck. I like the single-rear-wheel smaller versions that U-Haul and Penske currently use. Overall footprint about the same size as a standard van but with flat walls and roof. This build is close to what I envision, we'd just keep it stealthier.

- Ambulance. I also prefer the SRW versions. Roof raise, cabinetry, 4WD versions findable.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyink View Post
Nothing set in stone yet - just all those options are too new & expensive for our budget.

My leading contenders for a build would be:

- Stepvan. Aluminum body. Cummings/Alison or Chevy 350 based drivetrains. 6.5' of interior height (I'm 6'3"). Different lengths available.

- Box truck. I like the single-rear-wheel smaller versions that U-Haul and Penske currently use. Overall footprint about the same size as a standard van but with flat walls and roof. This build is close to what I envision, we'd just keep it stealthier.

- Ambulance. I also prefer the SRW versions. Roof raise, cabinetry, 4WD versions findable.
Very good, I like the box truck build you linked to...

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyink View Post
Except I wouldn't be building on any of those platforms..but thanks..
Do a YouTube search for DIY camper van or adventure van. I was going to do the same thing, but I just scored a pretty sweet PW for $6500. Inside looks/feels new. Very well kept. So instead of building, it was already done.

The biggest thing to consider with your DIY will be shower and toilet IMO.

I was going to have to get creative and this PW already had it done...so easy choice for me.

Best of luck and post pics.

Mark
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
Gold Member

Another suggestion would be to search full time Class B camper on YouTube. Pretty cool seeing other people's experiences.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Except none of those are B-vans. I don't see that these box trucks can get you anyplace you can't get to in a small C-class. It won't have near the flexibility of a B van, but should be more comfortable to live in and probably an easier build with all the straight walls. You should save a ton of time by purchasing items like cabinets at a home center.

If you are seeking off-grid mostly, then I'd make this a platform about a large battery pack and design the RV interior around it.

I've found this idea of stealth to be somewhat of a delusion. Everyone can tell if it's a camper. The only person you are kidding is yourself. My view is if you aren't making a spectacle of yourself, 90% of people could care less what you are doing.

There are youtubers that are urban camping on city streets with full blown RV's without any real issues. They just know the ins and outs of it.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote