Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 02 Roadtrek 200P. Replacement cargo latches

Greetings,

My RT 200P has two lock-latches on each cargo hatch. I want to replace one of them on each side with a simple twist (non-keyed) latch.

The hole diameter appears to be standard, and the depth is adjustable vi threads but easy to do. My main issue is the length, angle and hole in the metal tab.

I've included a couple of pics. The length of the metal tab is about 1 7.8" which apparently (from my internet searches) makes it very unique. To complicate things even further, the hole in the metal tab, is not your standard square that would fit on most aftermarket (Camco) latches. It is kind of a star shaped, and is held on with an "E" clip instead of the standard phillips screw.

Any thoughts or ideas as to where to find a couple of twist/non-lock replacement latches?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Latch 2.jpg (46.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lATCH1.jpg (80.9 KB, 3 views)
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm interested in what you find as I plan on adding cylinder locks instead (trip to South America requires additionnal security) like this:

So there's no point having the 2 original locks (especially that one was changed by the previous owner so I already need 2 keys).

My guess is you can take the original metal tab and put it on the new latch but, per your comment, the size of the hole might be the issue.

What if you just have a local welder extend the metal tab of the readily available replacement parts? (Ex: Camping World)

But I'll let you know if I find something!
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

go to hardware store and look at the cabinetry hardware, "mailbox" locks use similar hardware
the latch tonque is held on with a screw and easily swapped to another latch.
or you could have a locksmith remove the pins from one of your locks so it will turn with any key

in terms of "security" if you have awesome huge locks on your hatches, what happens if someone uses a crowbar to bust off the hatch?

I own convertibles- the prime was to not leave anything in the car and leave the doors unlocked...because a cut top will cost $2000 to fix and that is what someone might do.

so this becomes more about where you park and how you deal with the human element.
It may be in some circumstances smarter and cheaper to hand $20 to someone to "watch" your car...it's like paying protection
or mark in a more expensive secure location

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
go to hardware store and look at the cabinetry hardware, "mailbox" locks use similar hardware
the latch tonque is held on with a screw and easily swapped to another latch.
or you could have a locksmith remove the pins from one of your locks so it will turn with any key

in terms of "security" if you have awesome huge locks on your hatches, what happens if someone uses a crowbar to bust off the hatch?

I own convertibles- the prime was to not leave anything in the car and leave the doors unlocked...because a cut top will cost $2000 to fix and that is what someone might do.

so this becomes more about where you park and how you deal with the human element.
It may be in some circumstances smarter and cheaper to hand $20 to someone to "watch" your car...it's like paying protection
or mark in a more expensive secure location

mike
Thanks for the suggestion Mike!

I understand your point and had an internal debate about the lock upgrade dilemma.

For now, I see them more as a theft deterrent. I'm hoping that just seeing the locks would discourage the would be robber. Having him think it's impossible or will take too much time so he won't even try. Kind of like a club on the steering wheel.

But your comment is appreciated! It got me thinking that maybe I need to put them on the inside of the compartment for longer times away from the vehicle...
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default This company is great for all kinds of mechanical stuff.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-latches/=17vo2dz
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, cargo door latches, cargo doors, cargo latch, cargo latches