Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 12 volt accessory outlets

Don't know if this is the right place, or if should be in General, but I am sure Marco will know!

This somewhat rant, and mostly question, well maybe a bit more rant.

We have an 07 Chevy that has one "accessory" outlet, and one "lighter" outlet. According to the repair manual, the "lighter" one has more power available. The problem is that very few of our accessories will stay in the "lighter" outlet, they just pop right out, especially on a rough road. The "accessory" plug doesn't have the issue. The two 4 outlet accessory plugs we wired into the van at different spots don't have the problem. Soooooo, I bought a two outlet from one adapter to plug into the "accessory" outlet so we can run the TPMS and the navigating laptop at the same time. Computer stays plugged in fine, TPMS plug pops out after a couple of minutes. Move it to one of the 4 plug wired in units and it is fine.

Can't the folks that make these things get together and make something that is as universal as they claim they are? I am getting pretty sick of cutting and splicing different plugs on things to get them stay plugged in.

Anybody else run into this, or is it just a conspiracy to pi$$ me off?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 12 volt accessory outlets

Moved to General but if someone has fix for this maybe I'll move it back to the Tweaks, Mods & Projects section.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is frustrating. I haven't noticed it in my van but I only plug the GPS and backup camera in.

I have a portable 110v to 12v outlet socket in the house that I just tried 3 different 12v plugs with. 2 are fine but the third would fall out with minimal vibration.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If you don't use the cigarette lighter outlet, why not replace it with an outlet like the accessory one, instead of adding/replacing all of the male plugs you're cutting and splicing on your portable equipment?

I recently added a male plug end to a Yada backup camera to be able to use it in the now obsolete trailer and/or the pickup truck by just plugging into the nearest 12V DC lighter or accessory outlet. Works better than the "hardwired into your backup lights" setup the manufacturer suggests.
I may have to install it in the Roadtrek now, since I don't have any other use for it. How odd to have a backup cam in a 20' vehicle? I may have to add one of those annoying backup warning beepers, too, to complete the set.
If my camera display screen 12V plug keeps falling out of the lighter outlet, I'll let you know. We can both b***h about it, then.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If you don't use the cigarette lighter outlet, why not replace it with an outlet like the accessory one, instead of adding/replacing all of the male plugs you're cutting and splicing on your portable equipment?

I recently added a male plug end to a Yada backup camera to be able to use it in the now obsolete trailer and/or the pickup truck by just plugging into the nearest 12V DC lighter or accessory outlet. Works better than the "hardwired into your backup lights" setup the manufacturer suggests.
I may have to install it in the Roadtrek now, since I don't have any other use for it. How odd to have a backup cam in a 20' vehicle? I may have to add one of those annoying backup warning beepers, too, to complete the set.
If my camera display screen 12V plug keeps falling out of the lighter outlet, I'll let you know. We can both b***h about it, then.
The lighter outlet is on the list of things to do when the dash is apart the next time, if there is room for accessory outlet version. I would also need to put a fuse in to match the amp capacity as the accessory ones are rated lower. Not too worried about resale, but it could confuse a future owner, if they smoked. It isn't real high on the to do list, as a plug in the lighter socket partially blocks the Scangauge display.

I was just out in the shop a little while ago to look again, and the problem with the TPMS appears to be more with the plug on the cord for it, than the double adapter I plug it into. It did stay in the 4 plug unit, but the cord was supported close to it, and I think that is why it stayed in. The TPMS plug is smaller in the area that winds up right at the entry to the socket, so it can be rocked a bunch. When you rock it, it walks itself right out of the socket, probably because of the spring in the end contact pin. The other plugs were very tight to socket in that area and could not be rocked enough to make them walk. Time to put a different plug on it, I guess, and see what happens.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I've used one of these 12V multi plugs for a couple of years without too much difficulty. I also made up a 12V 'extension cord' by chopping off the AC plug and socket and splicing on their 12V equivalents (we had a 12V Koolatron cooler for a while and occasionally need a 12V fan for the dog).

However, now that stick-on LED lights are all the rage, I need a 5 volt wiring system as well.

Dan
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrveedogz

However, now that stick-on LED lights are all the rage, I need a 5 volt wiring system as well.

Dan
I've been thinking the same thing, just for additional USB plugs that can give out more than 2.1 amps so I can charge iPads and other tables. Of course, if I thought 12 volt wires had to be fat, 5 volts is even worse. Maybe a compromise would be small DC-DC converters that are part of the USB port that gets mounted somewhere.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I've given some thought to planting a 7805 voltage regulator in each of my 5V LED stick-up lights. 12V in, 5V out - at 1 amp, that should be plenty for LEDs, perhaps not for chargers though.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote