Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Chuck 711,. Thanks I'll check it out.

joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #32

Hi I have a Nova Kool 12 volt compressor refrigerator ,amazing how fast it cools and you can be on a 30 degree angle and not have a problem. Ice cream stays frozen,

rognadeau@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognadeau@gmail.com View Post
Hi I have a Nova Kool 12 volt compressor refrigerator ,amazing how fast it cools and you can be on a 30 degree angle and not have a problem. Ice cream stays frozen,
I too am satisfied with my Nova Kool. I find some (5-10 degree) fluctuations in temps, however, I attribute that mostly to imprecise thermostat or our use patterns.

I had to add more ventilation through the installation of a fan since the compartment was not adequately ventilated by Airstream. I haven't yet traveled in hot weather, but on my driveway the compartment could reach 120 degrees on hot days or when that side is in the sun. In addition to the fan, I added insulation which cut temperatures by 10 degrees. Now, when the temperature behind the fridge reaches 100 degrees, the fan comes on and stays on until it cools back down to 85. Will still try and avoid hot weather trips, but I'm hoping that what I've done helps.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 AM   #34
Bronze Member

I just ordered an isotherm 3 cubic foot. Will let you know how it functions this summer. thanks for all the help.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:39 AM   #35
Bronze Member

Hi, I had a 12vdc Nova Kool 6800 two door model for a while and as stated above, it cooled fast and was trouble free running on batteries. It did not matter what the cabin level was, it worked.

Just this morning I placed an order for a 12vdc one door 4.2 cf Vitrifrigo refrigerator only, no freezer. Freezer is separate. It's going in our van. Will be happy to report back.

For those looking to replace older non working units, Vitrifrigo has an extensive line with no rear condenser looping coils. A wide variety of sizes to choose from. They use a small heat exchanger with fan blowing past core and compressor. I chose a model with external heat exchanger that will be housed under bed in storage area. This allows me to fully insulate the box without dealing with rear coils or heat exchanger behind box.

Santiago
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #36

Santiago - How is the one door 4.2 cf Vitrifrigo C115IBD4-F working out for you! what the the exact Cut Out Dimensions, i'm thinking of replacing my 3-way Dometic on my Roadtrek.
photochefs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photochefs88 View Post
Santiago - How is the one door 4.2 cf Vitrifrigo C115IBD4-F working out for you! what the the exact Cut Out Dimensions, i'm thinking of replacing my 3-way Dometic on my Roadtrek.
Hi David,

I purchased the Vitrifrigo C130 without the built-in freezer and stainless flush mounted door, both options $. I did not want AC option but it comes that way. Bought from Sure Marine in Seattle for $950 + like $140 shipping to Orange County CA.

Aside from the size, I chose this unit for its use of a separate, remote, compressor/heat exchanger combo attached to fridge with its insulated freon umbilical line. The external compressor/heat exchanger combo can be placed away from fridge but not by much. Normally it's embedded in the rear which eats fridge capacity. With the detached combo the fridges' outer walls are clean and can be stuffed into a cabinet with no need for air gaps and in some cases surrounded by additional external insulation. You can not do this with a rear mounted compressor/heat exchanger as it requires air flow. My compressor/heat exchanger will be accessible and have airflow to and from cabin.

The unit will not be installed for a couple of months as I have many other projects demanding my time. I have run the unit on AC, soon DC when finished building the battery bank on the test bench. The external compressor/heat exchanger combo is very quiet, almost undetectable. To run at 40F internal (as a refrigerator only) I had to set dial to 1, 8 being highest. Unit was empty. Remember no freezer. The door handle is marine latch type and very solid. Without the built in freezer refrigerator capacity is 4.2 cubic feet.

Per Virtrifrigo cutout dimensions is as follow::

560mm, 22.1" Depth
540mm, 21.3" Width
768mm, 30.3" Height

See their link: C130L (external cooling unit) - Camper/Caravan - Vitrifrigo

For some reason my stainless flush door has an indented commercial type latch different from the one shown on link above.

Good luck,

Santiago