Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Default 16' Travato G or safari condo flex?

Greetings all-

I've been in the market for the family's first RV for a few months now, and after much research, lurking, and contemplation, I believe I've narrowed it down to the 2016 travato g, or if extremely patient, the safari promaster flex. We have a six year old son, enjoy the back country, and are interested in boon-docking more than plugging in. We require sleeping for 3 and I am enamored with the two rear queen bed option in the Flex for that purpose, but it seems like an awfully small bathroom in that model. (We'll travel to the frozen north before putting our order in to be sure). I wanted opinions on which model might be best for 3.5 season boon-docking, considering the different systems and capacities of the two models. (Travato- Truma LP, Onan gas gen, 100 w panel from factory, etc)
(Flex- LP heat/water, no generator, optional A/C plug in only, optional 340 w panels from factory)
We are based in humid GA, so A/C is a requirement for summer SE camping comfort...which could be a lot of out travel when we're not out west exploring. Also would like the ability to travel during winter.
I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait around on Hymer's new Grand Canyon to get its kinks worked out, but also interested in it.

Travato | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

Ram - ProMaster FLEX

I've followed Wincrasher and FitRv's breakdowns of the travato, but have less knowledge of the Flex...any wisdom from the community would be appreciated.

-Dg
Grazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Condo has at least one year waiting list. You should keep that in mind in your decision making.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There are some good forum threads regarding both models here. I too am comparing those models and Searching here answered most questions.

Based on what you wrote I think the big question would be how often you might want to use the AC when not plugged in. The Flex would not have a generator. You could add an underwood generator after market (or ask Safari Condo about it). We live in New England not GA so running the AC when not plugged in would be pretty rare and short term (couple hours) so idling the van with the cab AC would be most likely be fine for us.

The 59g has a generator so that might be less of an issue for you, however given how little I would use it I wouldn't want the expense, weight, and maintenance. All depends on how you want to use it of course. The big bummer for me is trying to coordinate the Safari condo lead time... Once my wife is bought in I want to get it rolling asap.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
Bronze Member

I can only comment on the Travato. It's ideal for 2 people, but squeezing in a 6 year old shouldn't be much of a problem. The Travato is easy to handle, and fit's in small areas. I use my generator quite often, but for short periods of time. The bathroom is quite tight, but not bad. Black tank is only 11 gal, so you may be dumping more often. I travel alone for business, and it's perfect for me. I've had the water system freeze up in cold temps. It has a great furnace, and I've run it for over a week with LP left over in the 6 gallon tank. The Generator strains a bit with the main AC. I turn it off when running the microwave. Rather large fridge runs on 12v / 110v / LP. HD TV with an amplified std antenna.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 AM   #5
Platinum Member

What 16' Travato?

The Travato G is nearly 21 feet...

Or do you mean 2016? '16
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I understood it as 2016
Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazier View Post
Greetings all-

I've been in the market for the family's first RV for a few months now, and after much research, lurking, and contemplation, I believe I've narrowed it down to the 2016 travato g, or if extremely patient, the safari promaster flex. We have a six year old son, enjoy the back country, and are interested in boon-docking more than plugging in. We require sleeping for 3 and I am enamored with the two rear queen bed option in the Flex for that purpose, but it seems like an awfully small bathroom in that model. (We'll travel to the frozen north before putting our order in to be sure). I wanted opinions on which model might be best for 3.5 season boon-docking, considering the different systems and capacities of the two models. (Travato- Truma LP, Onan gas gen, 100 w panel from factory, etc)
(Flex- LP heat/water, no generator, optional A/C plug in only, optional 340 w panels from factory)
We are based in humid GA, so A/C is a requirement for summer SE camping comfort...which could be a lot of out travel when we're not out west exploring. Also would like the ability to travel during winter.
I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait around on Hymer's new Grand Canyon to get its kinks worked out, but also interested in it.

Travato | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

Ram - ProMaster FLEX

I've followed Wincrasher and FitRv's breakdowns of the travato, but have less knowledge of the Flex...any wisdom from the community would be appreciated.

-Dg
The Flex has has a very nice cargo space, if you put a second queen beed for your child you reduce this space significally, safari can make you a custom bed over the cab seat and a center table. So the adults can sleep on the motorized bed and the kid in the front. This way you can keep the rear space for bike or other stuff for longer travel.
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #8

Is this the bed over the seats for our son you were talking about?

https://photos.smugmug.com/PERSO-GL/...-Z3rgXdF-D.png

And yes to earlier query, 2016...not 16 footer. The upgrades starting then seem worth the investment.

Does anyone have experience with how flexible safari condo is willing to customize? I realize they aren't trying to compete with Sportsmobile, but have they adjusted build plans outside of the options listed? There are certain aspects of the XL plus model that are appealing, like the open floor plan and lack of dedicated bathroom, but it's seems like if you were playing a board game on the front table, you'd have to deconstruct to use the toilet...

Thanks for the earlier replies...is it feasible to run the Safari condo's A/c off a Honda 2000 generator, or would an under the hood option be more quiet and efficient?
Grazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazier View Post
Is this the bed over the seats for our son you were talking about?

https://photos.smugmug.com/PERSO-GL/...-Z3rgXdF-D.png

And yes to earlier query, 2016...not 16 footer. The upgrades starting then seem worth the investment.

Does anyone have experience with how flexible safari condo is willing to customize? I realize they aren't trying to compete with Sportsmobile, but have they adjusted build plans outside of the options listed? There are certain aspects of the XL plus model that are appealing, like the open floor plan and lack of dedicated bathroom, but it's seems like if you were playing a board game on the front table, you'd have to deconstruct to use the toilet...

Thanks for the earlier replies...is it feasible to run the Safari condo's A/c off a Honda 2000 generator, or would an under the hood option be more quiet and efficient?
Yes exactly, the bed is small but it is ok for kids. For the customization you'll have to ask, they are willing normally to do some minor changes depending on how much time the modification will take. I saw a XL Plus last year the open spcace is great, but your kids will have to sit in the back of the van to get the 3rd seat belt. In the Flex the two 'middle' seat have seat belts so your kid can sit there when you are on the road. The bathroom in the Plus has to be build each time you want use the shower/toilet. Personally I prefer the the Flex, less open space but more convenient.

Finally, to use the ac off grid, you need 30 amps, I do not think you can run 30 amps on an Honda 2000, I saw a coupling gizmo to join two generators, it will probably work that way.... Not sure.
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote