Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 1979Dodge Funcraft

Newcomer here. I have owned my 1979 Dodge B200 Funcraft conversion for over 10 yrs now. Time to start renovating the suspension and interior. Still a very srtong rig with just under 200,000 km on the original 360/727 combo. Have added a trans cooler, aluminum rad, KN filter for maintainance items. It is 9' tall and loves to move around in the wind. Perhaps some of the members can offer some suggestions based on their experiences with some of the older B's. Thanks in advance, Tim

Tried to uplaod some pics but they were too high resolution.
olddodgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rbrtwareham
Default Re: 1979Dodge Funcraft

You could try Safety-plus Steering, but it may cost about a grand to install. If you plan on keeping the unit, it might be worth while. Check with your nearest RV dealer.
rbrtwareham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It would be a good idea to go to a weigh scale and get the van weight to see if it's under what it is rated for.
A rear sway-bar should help control the wind moving it around. Your suspension upgrades should help that too. The two combined should make a big difference. Check to see if it has a front sway bar and if so that the bushings are good. My '97 GMC 3500 is handling much better after new shocks, rear sway bar and wheel alignment.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Bronze Member

It has a front sway bar only. I think I will have my trusted mechanic go through the front end and check for bad bushings/etc, then take it in for fr/end alignment.New shocks were installed last year and made a dramatic difference. Thinking about spacers for the rear tires as well. Thanks for the input so far!
Tim
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Looking into a set of 15x8 rims for the old Dodge. A set with a little more offset might get me out far enough without spacers.