Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #1

Default 1985 New World Dodge B RV

I have recently purchased a 1986 New World B RV on a Dodge B3500 chassis, with a 360CI engine (5.9L for you metric folks). As a "vintage" model repairs are to be expected, however; for it's age, it's in very good condition. A google search returned no results for this manufacturer, so I assume they have been out of business for many years. The company was located in Mishawaka, Indiana. Any help in finding a service manual on the camper, or just the 1985 Dodge B3500 van chassis would be appreciated.
PackerRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1985 New World Dodge B RV

You may be asking for the moon. There was no internet in 1986, hence, probably, no electronic version of the manual. I also thought in '86 they were 350, rather than 3500? I wondered, because my '90 is a 250.
Welcome aboard.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Congrats on your buy and entering the great world of having a B. I really don't think you will find a manual, how about if you go area by area, photos if possible, and we will attempt to give you enough info so you can make your own owner's manual. Another suggestion is to check out some of the "old" mechanics who have been in the industry for years, might check the area where it was manufactured. I know this is a wild shot, but a shot none the less. Welcome to the greatest Forum around, and these guys really know how to help everyone. Safe travel. Ron.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Congrats on your purchase! Try Books4cars.com. They cary quite a selection of old manuals, both OEM as well as Chiltons and Haines. You can search by make, year and model. They pobably have something for the 85 Dodge van.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Bronze Member

AmCruiser,

I have a 1985 GMC New World Camper Van. New World was apparently a small manufacturer that was only in business for about 2 years. The good news is that the New World camper is basically an Intervec Corp. and and Fiesta Corp. camper clone/copy.

Intervec was the largest manufacturer of Class B camper vans in the 80's and 90's until they went out of business in 1996. Intervec made the Falcon and Horizon model camper vans from 1980 - 1996. Fiesta was a close second. Intervec, Fiesta, (and apparently New World) purchased the fiberglass hi-top molds from Champion when they went out of business in 1979. All three used the same style hi-top. And all three basically had similar floor plans.

So, if you can find Manuals for INTERVEC or FIESTA, I think they will cover most of what you need. I joined the Intervec-Phoenix Cruiser RV Club and they e-mailed me an old Intervec Manual that was pretty close to my New World camper. Or if you send me your e-mail, I will send you the copy of the Intervec Manual that they sent me. Good luck with you camper van. Mine is in great shape on the inside, but needs to be repainted on the outside. The New World, Intervec and Fiesta camper vans are pretty cool 80's camper vans. No one make the hi-tops with the upper bunks above the cab anymore.

TatraDog

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Bronze Member

PackerRat,

Sorry, the last post was for you, not AmCruiser. Sorry also AmCruiser.

Also, I just realized that the Manual I have is more of a Owners Manual for all of the camper van systems. If you are loooking for a Repair-type Manual, there are several good after-market manuals that address the repair amd maintenance of RV systems (as they are all basically the same). And the Chilton's Repair/Maint Manual that includes the 1986 Dodge Vans should also have some of the RV Chassis info in it. Because the Chilton's Manual that I got for 1967-1986 Chevy/GMC Vans has some RV Chassis info.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
Bronze Member

PackerRat,

Here are 2 good after-market Service Manuals for RV systems: 1) "Woodall's RV Owner's Handbook", and 2) "RV Repair & Maintenance Manual" by Bob Livingston. They have both been around for several years and updated editions come out every few years. Since my camper is a 1985, I bought older editions on eBay and Amazon. They were cheaper and didn't include the newer higher tech stuff that my vintage RV does not have.

Tatra Dog

Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I'd be happy to host the older Intervec Manual here it the Owner manuals section - send it to markopolo at classbforum dot com if that's ok.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #9

Thank You to all who have replied to my inquiry for information on my Dodge chassis New World RV, and especially to TatraDog. I've found used Haynes, and Chilton's repair manuals on Amazon for cheap. I'll likely buy both. I'll also check out the RV repair manuals. I've always found repair manuals to be a good investment. Haven't had much time to work on the van yet. Drove it home, scrubbed off the barnacles (it had been parked under a box elder tree for a couple of years), and replaced the windshield. Mechanically it needs a little TLC, fluids changed, belts, hoses, tune up, the usual maintenance. The worst thing I've found so far is the previous owner installed an electric fuel pump at the tank, and the thing never stops humming (with the key in the RUN position). I plan on converting back to the original mechanical fuel pump. Other than that, mechanically it's pretty sound. Interior wise, it needs a good cleaning, and a gallon of febreze to get rid of the "old camper stink". Come to think of it, I should try that as a body spray. And the original shag carpeting has got to go! Any suggestions on a durable, easy to clean, insulating/sound deadening floor covering? Not likely to tackle those projects until next spring, as things have cooled down quite a bit here in Northern Wisconsin. Time to park it in the brother-in-law's pole shed for the winter!
Until next time, Happy Camp'n!
PackerRat
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #10

TatraDog, Just wanted to send a Thank You for your replies to my posting on my New World RV. I was beginning to think I was the only one who had one. Considering their age, I suspect most have gone to that big scrap yard in... China. Which is kind'a how I acquired mine. The previous owner lost interest, and was having it towed to the salvage yard. I intercepted it along the way, and for scrap price I saved it from the crusher. Now you're probably thinking what kind of piece of crap did I buy (and rightly so). It was a Texas van for most of its life, so aside from a faded ugly 80's paint job, the body's in great shape, with no body, or chassis rust (which is pretty rare in Wisconsin). It came with a new marine starting battery, 4 low mileage tires, a never used spare, a full LP tank, and 3/4 of a tank of old gas. OK, the old gas doesn't increase it's value, but I can at least use it in the lawn mower. With 118K on the odometer, the carbureted 360 engine and 727 transmission both appear to work fine, and are owner serviceable (my labor rate is a lot lower than the local service station, and I have more faith in the mechanic). The interior is...1980's Man! Which puts it in my era. She aint no beauty queen, but for what I paid for it, and the $150 lifetime collector plates, my biggest expenses are gas and insurance. My plan is to use it for weekend camping/fishing outings, and music festivals.
Reply with info on your rig if you wish. I'd like to compare notes.
Happy Camp'n!
PackerRat