Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

Question 1992 Dodge Coach House major leak

Looking for advice on how to trace a leak. We've had lots of rain in last few days. Driver side floor and passenger side floor soaked from front to back on both sides. Water went halfway the length of the camper. Carpet was soaked. Previous owner kept it under carport. We just bought it last week.
Thaboopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is it a high top van? Any windows in the roof? Visually inspect the caulking around the van roof. Check around the fan if you have one.

During a really heavy downpour mine had water get in that I think came in around the furnace vent. Instead of re-seating / reinstalling the assembly I took the easy way out and caulked the perimeter with high temperature caulk.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...reen-2267.html

I haven't had any water show up on the floor since.

I think water could get the fridge vents also during a really heavy downpour.

Water leaks can puddle or become visible a long way from the source of the leak.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sit inside the van and have someone spray a garden hose at the windows, vents, doors etc and watch for water entry.

It can be tricky to find, but my advice is to begin with resealing any roof vents. They are usually neglected and even if they weren't the source of the leak, the cost is minimal and will last another 5 to 10 years.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #4

We spent all day caulking everything we thought could be a problem. We did the water hose test. Found one spot. The others we'll find out tomorrow when it rains all day. Thanks for advice
Thaboopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Look at the water rim around the top that runs front to back. Just behind the front doors the is a 11/2 inch joint ,near where the metal door frame stops and fiberglass begins. I saw one that was rusted near thru inside out on both sides. I sealed my joint and drilled a hole or two in the water rim. Water drains down the outside but better that interior leak until it shows up outside. The leak sound like it is inside exactly where the joint would leak.
hope this helps.
Al
ald2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

The water rim is the metal rim ABOVE the door that runs front to back. The joint is right where the cab meets the fiberglass. I saw a dodge that leaked from that joint, inside ,and rusted vertical down to the bottom of the RV. Very bad rust on both ,cab and pass side. You could almost put your hand thru the rust.
ald2120 is offline   Reply With Quote