Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Talking 1994 Coachman Dodge Van 350 12v cutoff

Just bought this 1994 Coachman Dodge Van 350 - first RV for me - and have basic questions. It's running great but I need to learn a lot about it!
I read there is a 12v cutoff switch that separates the rv battery from all the lights and things it sources.

Is that switch the one that looks like a light switch mounted at the front of the kitchen cabinet? If it is - does it need to be on to charge the RV battery when we are traveling? Does it need to be on when we are plugged in at a campsite to charge?
Thanks - beginner RVer Sue
Sue Hodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

OK now... I think I have exactly what you have. My original Dodge chassie is a 1994 but when it went to Coachman it was sold as a 1995. The switch you are referring to is located above the kitchen sink behind the driver. I did check out for myself exactly what you are asking but the trouble is I don't remember for sure. So I am like 99% sure it can be off when driving and 90% sure when hooked to 120 volts. The way to tell is put a volt meter in the house battery and with the switch off start it up. If the voltage goes up then you do not need to have it on while driving. then do the same thing when you plug it in. If you must turn on the switch on for the voltage to go up then you must have the switch on. I will be pulling mine out of storage within a month and will have to check again for myself to know for sure.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Thanks so much! Will give this a try. Mine is a 1993 chasis sold as a 1994 so maybe that's why my switch is in a slightly different place - lower down on the sink cabinet on the left side as you face it. Revived my dead voltmeter and just waiting to have someone help me so I can watch the meter as the van is started. I assume it's only at the starting you see the volts rise and then it levels out?
Sue Hodes is offline   Reply With Quote