Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Smile 1995 PleasureWay SRL campervan (Class B RV) on a Dodge RAM 350 chassis

Looking for assistance, your thoughts and feelings. Newbie trying to figure it out. I am looking to purchase a used van, I will be seeing it on Friday and bringing it to get checked out. Anything that you can tell me to look out for or just tell me would greatly be appreciated. Of course, I would love to purchase a newer model, but I can not afford it.

As I am not a camper or driver, I currently do not have a car. This is a huge life changing situation that I will be going through and I have to make the right decision. Any help you can give would be great. As I am clueless.

Have not seen one of these in person, have gone from thinking about a cargo van, an old toyato and this. Have spoken to others who were honest and said what the problem with their vans have, so I moved on.

Of course, nothing is perfect I expect that, it has 141,000 miles on it now.

Thanking you in advance.
NadineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Nadine, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the mileage..the current owner will most probably have service records. If were me, I'd want to see the idiot lights that tell you about propane, tanks, water..are they lighting up. Does it have a generator? If it does, make sure it doesn't have a extension cord to the PW, have it start it, run it for a few minutes and turn on the a/c, and then activate the heat pump. When you were looking at the idiot gauges it showed propane, have them light the stove and fridge; then check the gas furnace. Go thru the drawers and see if they operate. While the generator is running, your microwave should be active - check it out; turn on the lights. Also operate lights using the battery. Will the windows close good. Check around the interior roof for any possible water damage, you will see water stains if there are or have been. I would also get on a ladder and take a look at the roof for repairs or damage. I am sure these guys can provide you with way things to check than me. Just don't let your heart override your common sense. Most owners have usually taken good care of their rigs. Good lock, Ron
Old 12-28-2016, 03:15 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Expect mechanical repairs and build that into your cost. It's 21 years old so it will have wear.

That mileage is fine and it shows it was driven rather than parked and left to rot.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Gold Member

My '95 PWay on Dodge 350 has 215000KM (147000 miles). I still consider it to be very reliable. All the "RV end" of things (fridge/stove/AC/furnace, etc) have been no trouble. The van end has just needed normal sorts of repair/replacement - most recently, the water pump. As a result, for repairs/ maintenance it goes to my local garage when necessary. Never needed to take it to an RV service centre.
I agree with previous replies. In addition, make sure you drive it on the highway to get a feel for handling. Some units like to wander, either because of tire brand/inflation or because the rear wheel track (distance between rear tires) is 4 inches less than front wheel track. I, like many others, installed wheel spacers to correct this (You can ask, or measure the tracks to see if spacers have been installed. Cost of them is/used to be between about $200 and $300).
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #5

We have a 94 stw with the 318 and 121k.
Van wise has been perfectly reliable since we got it 2-3 years ago. Workmanship inside has held up great over the years, i am adding a third seat so i had to tear out the sink,stove side to remodel and they built it very well...
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes, it is a huge decision, particularly since you profess to not be a camper or driver. Must have another strong motive?
I have a 1990 camper van on a dodge 250 chassis. Low mileage (58,000 miles equivalent). By way of repair, I replaced brakes, camper battery islolator, and put on the very best mud/snow tires. All accessories work, I look after the unit. If the previous owners can demonstrate that they did the same, that would be a big plus for me to purchase.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote