Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Default 1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular hitch/receiver

Numerous hitch shops have said no receiver available for my roadtrek that will fit around spare. Anyone else have this problem.? Nothing for front either. Don't really want to mount spare on rear door. Thanks for any info.
vernonroadtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Silver Member

Default Class 4 Extension

In order to clear the factory mounted spare on our 2007 210V we had to add a 8" extension to the trailer hitch receiver. They are available at any auto parts store or online from trailer suppliers. It works great and no problems with the spare being in the way. They do reduce your towable weight by a bit, but unless you are maxing out your trailer weight then it should not be a problem. I hope this helps.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

I have a 1995 Popular 190 with a continental spare, so I suppose I could have a hitch receiver mounted, but I have assumed that the vehicle has no towing capacity. It could certainly be handy at times, though. How much weight would you feel comfortable towing if you can figure out a way to install a receiver?
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

we have a 97 Roadtrek with the spare mounted under the rear section of the van, and we have a class 3 hitch mounted, it was there when we bought it used,, but I can check for a tag or label and see what brand it is,,,we have had a flat and had no trouble removing the spare from underneath,,,,its a little tight , but it can be done,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonroadtrek View Post
Numerous hitch shops have said no receiver available for my roadtrek that will fit around spare. Anyone else have this problem.? Nothing for front either. Don't really want to mount spare on rear door. Thanks for any info.
I also have a 1997 Roadtrek Popular with a class III hitch mounted over the spare tire. It was on the Roadtrek when I bought it. That is all I can tell you
minis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The towing specs are in the Roadtrek brochures for the year, 1997 here.

https://www.roadtrek.com/wp-content/...odel_years.pdf

That said, they are at best guidelines as they are quite high for the real world.

The important one is the GCWR which is what the trailer and van would weigh together. You would weigh the van with everything in it including passengers and water, supplies, etc. and subtract it from the GCWR to get towing capacity.

The next rating isn't shown but should be on a sticker on the van, and that is the max weight allowed per axle. When you get weighed you will have both the front and rear weights listed, so you need to make sure your tongue weight doesn't push the rear axle over allowable.

Once you know your tongue weight you add it to the weight you got for the van to make sure you are under the GVWR which is the total allowable weight for the van.

Note that the rating on the hitch means very little in all this, as it is only the rating for the hitch and has nothing to do with the van's capacity. It just needs to be big enough to cover the van's capacity. Many times the hitch is rated for much more than the van can handle.

Then you get back to the real world and find out the long overhang of the Dodges makes them squirely with bigger trailers and more prone to going overweight on the rear axle. Heavy trailers need brake controllers in the van, you might need trans and oil coolers, rear airbags, etc. This stuff is all needed to go to max towing in most cases.

Hopefully, someone who has a Dodge and has towed with it will be able to give some real world experience. My guess would be that 2000-2500 would be reasonable for a mostly stock Dodge class b, but might require a few things like airbags in the rear.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
In order to clear the factory mounted spare on our 2007 210V we had to add a 8" extension to the trailer hitch receiver. They are available at any auto parts store or online from trailer suppliers. It works great and no problems with the spare being in the way. They do reduce your towable weight by a bit, but unless you are maxing out your trailer weight then it should not be a problem. I hope this helps.
Thanks for your comment. My spare is underneath, so not sure what an extension would do. The shops are saying there is no receiver that fits around the spare. I'm not interested in towing anything, but to mount a motorcycle/bike carrier. thanks again.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinrt View Post
I have a 1995 Popular 190 with a continental spare, so I suppose I could have a hitch receiver mounted, but I have assumed that the vehicle has no towing capacity. It could certainly be handy at times, though. How much weight would you feel comfortable towing if you can figure out a way to install a receiver?
Hi...thanks for your reply. Not really interested in towing, but to mount a motorcycle/bike carrier, leaving the spare underneath. The three shops I've been to(Kelowna and Vernon BC) say they can't get any receiver that will fit around spare. thanks.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
we have a 97 Roadtrek with the spare mounted under the rear section of the van, and we have a class 3 hitch mounted, it was there when we bought it used,, but I can check for a tag or label and see what brand it is,,,we have had a flat and had no trouble removing the spare from underneath,,,,its a little tight , but it can be done,,,,
Sure, if you don't mind, thanks. Mine is a Dodge Ram