Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

Default 1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile Steering Issue

I know this was covered and have been reading a lot about it on various forums, but still need some advice.
I just purchased a 1996 190 Versatile on a dodge 3500 chassis. I am experiencing the steering control issue that so many have talked about. It just feels out of control sometimes.
I have had the steering inspected and ball joints replaced as well as the shocks.
I have also read about having the steering gear box replaced or adjusted.
I just spoke with the Roadtrek factory. They told me that the best solution was discovered by Roadtrek owners and that it was to put on Michelin XPS Rib tires, and that it solves or minimizes the problem better than any other solution. Very nice and knowledgeable representative by the way!
So, I am hoping for experienced opinions from other owners.
- I know the rear of the Roadtrek is narrower than the front and that is part or maybe all of the problem.
- Do I need a new steering box? If so, what type? A Borgeson? Redhead? I understand that the factory ones are not any better.
-Will Michelin tires solve the problem?
- Some other types of steering modifications?
I am really hoping to stimulate some discussion on this issue before I spend my life’s savings trying to solve my problem by reinventing the wheel! If it has been solved, please help me get there faster!
Jeff
a1parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile Steering Issue

I understand! You can go to "Tweaks, Mods & Projects" and scroll down to "Dodge chassis upgrades" and see what I have done or didn't do. If you don't find what you need there, come back and ask again, and I will try to help with my limited knowledge.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Gold Member

I know there are mixed views and reviews on this topic, but my vote is still for adding wheel spacers. Cheap (relatively) and simple. Mine have been in place for about 50,000 miles (1995 PWay on Dodge 3500 chassis)
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #4

I have a 1999 Dodge Roadtrek 190. When I bought it I replaced the old tires with a set of Michelin LTX M/S. The installer put 45 psi in the front and 80 psi in the rear. The next day I started a two hour trip to Jacksonville, an hour into the trip I was so frustrated from fighting the wandering issue I had decided to sell the Roadtrek! Thankfully, upon arriving in Jacksonville, I did an Internet search and came across some posts from Red Rover. He recommended putting 65 psi in the front tires. I purchased a quality tire gauge at the first automotive parts store I found, after finding a station that stills pumps air, I put Red Rovers recomended 65 psi in the front. The wandering disappeared!!!
I have put 5000 miles on my much loved Roadtrek since then on every type of road without any wandering issues. In windy conditions it does move around, but I consider it normal for a tall van to do so. You may have other issues with your van, but for me, the combination of tires and air pressure made the difference.
Trailhead is offline   Reply With Quote