Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 PM   #1

Default 1997 Dodge Great West 318

Today 11:03 AM12gocamping
I hope I am posting this in the right place. Would like some advice. I am considering a 1997 Dodge Great West 318. It has 250,000 km. Asking price is $15,000 Canadian. It does seem like a lot of km but I do like the Drop down bed option. I really don't know much about vehicles, but for what is available in Canada right now, it seems like it is worth considering. My biggest concern is: How many km can one hope to get out of a vehicle like this if it is well maintained? Any other known concerns about this type of van? Would appreciate any advice any body can give me.
12gocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Where in Manitoba are you and where is the vehicle for sale? I'm in Winnipeg and if you'd like I can take a look at it with you. I can also recommend a shop/mechanic with experience on B vans.

How many kilometers for the body, the drivetrain or motorhome parts? That's a loaded question that no one can answer.

I can tell you the old school dodge engines can go a lot more than 250k with regular maintenance. But as with anything mechanical there is wear. At this point in the engines life it should need some maintenance work such as timing chain, most gaskets and some seals. It's not that they're bad, but they're tired. They might be able to go another ten years or they might go in two weeks, there's no way to tell.

Transmissions aren't so happy with a long life with their original components. But if it works fine right now your best bet is to go and get it refreshed. The wearable parts will be removed and replaced. And it will last you another 10-20 years.

The motor home components are totally different and depend on use and wear. The microwave might be dead or it could be perfect. Same with the AC, the fridge, water pump, house battery etc.

The bonus of buying an older unit is the cost savings versus a new unit. But expect to do some work. If you can afford it, budget a few thousand dollars for new tires, brakes, steering components, a transmission refresh, tune up on the engine including timing chain and leaking gaskets and you will end up with a unit that will last you many trouble free years.

My unit is a 92. I've replaced a large number of items out of desire to replace them, and a few out of necessity.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Ask yourself this question:

If you were to go buy an empty cargo van,
how much would you pay for a 250,000 km 1997 Dodge 318?

Deduct that from the $15,000 and you have arrived at the premium you are paying for the 20 yr old stove, furnace, water heater, cabinets and batteries.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #4

Thank you Bruceper. I am in Manitoba but the unit is actually in BC. A family friend looked at it there for me and said that it appears to be well maintained. No rust, tires in very good shape. I would send it to a mechanic to look it over before purchasing it. The information you have given me is helpful. My biggest concern is that I am not at all mechanically inclined. I would hope to use it to drive to BC and back to spend time with family there, but want to make sure it is reliable enough to get me from point A to B and not be left on the roadside, however, as you have pointed out, I could probably have a number of potential issues addressed before taking it on any major trips. Can you tell me what is all involved in a transmission refresh, and what type of price you would pay to have it done by a mechanic? Is this something you would do as a preventative measure?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 AM   #5

Thank you BBQ. Another good way of looking at things. I appreciate your practical response. The only problem is that I want a camper van and they do not seem easy to find in Canada and Canadian regulations make it very difficult for us to cross border shop.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gocamping View Post
Thank you BBQ. Another good way of looking at things. I appreciate your practical response. The only problem is that I want a camper van and they do not seem easy to find in Canada and Canadian regulations make it very difficult for us to cross border shop.

The camper vans are out there. In Canada. In good condition. For good prices.

You just have to have the patience to look, and to wait for the right one to come by.

Don't let your enthusiasm takeover your good senses.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

A transmission refresh means taking out the transmission and replacing all of the bands used to shift gears, seals, clutches, bushings and other wearable parts. You can replace the torque converter as well.

Estimated cost for your unit is around $1500-1700 and I would recommend Mister Transmission on Pembina hwy.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #8

Quote:
I just like to say I bought a 2001 GW 1 year ago and I love it. I had a problem with the refrigerator and it needs brakes but it is on a 1 ton chassis and I love the way it drives . The refrigerator repair was $200 us and I'm getting ready for the brakes another $200 which I can do myself. If the van is in your budget I would definitely buy another one. Since they were constructed in Canada you shouldn't have problems with regulations. I also enjoy the motor heater that came with it and most American models don't have it. If you get it and get it into shape your in for a nice future in the class b world. Parts are a plenty and mechanics are also plentiful for repair of the vehicle. But this is my opinion and based on my experience with the GW.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk
Mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:07 AM   #9

Thank you Mr. Ed. I did purchase a 1998 Classic 2000 GW. I am looking forward to trying it out in the spring as I purchased it in the late fall. It only has about 53,000 miles and appears to be in great shape.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you Mr. Ed. I did purchase a 1998 Classic 2000 GW. I am looking forward to trying it out in the spring as I purchased it in the late fall. It only has about 53,000 miles and appears to be in great shape.

Congratulations !

Have fun !

Tags
advice price 1997