Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I received and installed these. It's not easy. It takes a good 2-3 hours per compartment (I am meticulous) but once completed they work great!
Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #22

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1841...=group_comment
thepackardinstitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #23

I have replaced the black plastic continuous hinges on my 02 Popular 200, and have couple left that I would sell. Can be found in Juergens Hardware, Huntington, IN. Also have window crank mechanism for same model for the rear tilt windows.
roadytreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobow View Post
Pam, you have a '99 RT 190 not a 170. My error. When I was in the body shop and they just happened to have an RT like mine in the bay the owner of the body shop asked one of his employee if he could install the hinge. He looked it over very carefully, noting the rivets etc and said he could do it. He did a great job and it has held up over the years. My point is that who ever is going to do the actual work needs to look the job over and give it some thought.

I would say the person in your body shop that said the hinge you bought was too thick did not fully comprehend how it fits the RT body and the compartment lid. Have them take a closer look and also tell them several RT owners have used the same replacement hinge with no problems. Hope this helps. Bob
Just thought I'd post what I finally figured out happened with my body shop. I kept thinking about what he said. He actually said the the hinge was "too wide", not too thick. I had interpreted him to mean he thought it was too thick since he had told me they knew how to put one on. Well, it finally dawned on me that they didn't know that they had to cut it to the right length! I had told him about the Youtube video and had said I could send him the link, but he said they didn't need it. What he ended up doing to fix my compartment door was to install new metal hinges while leaving the old hinge in place. Unfortunately, that doesn't work to keep water out of the storage compartment if driving in the rain, so I put another strip of Gorilla tape over the old hinge. That does keep the rain out, but I have to replace the tape periodically.

I still have the replacement hinge and will have it installed whenever I can find someone who knows how to do it.

Pam
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote