Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
did

Default 1998 RT170 storage bin hinge

Hi,
I have a 1998 Roadtrek 170. The hinge on the outside storage bin on the driver's side has given up. It is a rubber hinge that is riveted to the door and to the vehicle. Anyone ever replaced this or have another option ?? The dealer is trying to find something that will work, but have not heard back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180605_191749.jpg (250.6 KB, 17 views)
did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Here is a source for the hinge. Do an internet search because someone wrote up an article on youtube video on how to replace this hinge.

Item # 4561-2231-020, Continuous Hinges, Plastic On Moore Industrial Hardware
Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
did

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Here is a source for the hinge. Do an internet search because someone wrote up an article on youtube video on how to replace this hinge.

Item # 4561-2231-020, Continuous Hinges, Plastic On Moore Industrial Hardware
Thanks Joe.
Need to find a source in Canada. My local dealer just replied their pricing was $270 just for the hinge. Crazy.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by did View Post
Hi,
I have a 1998 Roadtrek 170. The hinge on the outside storage bin on the driver's side has given up. It is a rubber hinge that is riveted to the door and to the vehicle. Anyone ever replaced this or have another option ?? The dealer is trying to find something that will work, but have not heard back.
I have a 2004 Popular 210 RT and had the same problem. I solved this by getting a garage door rubber "seal" that works just fine as a hinge on that storage compartment, replacing the piano hinge. Plus, it's water proof also, as I put sealant around it after using pop-rivets to install it. Hope this helps. Del
txswabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
did

Quote:
Originally Posted by txswabby View Post
I have a 2004 Popular 210 RT and had the same problem. I solved this by getting a garage door rubber "seal" that works just fine as a hinge on that storage compartment, replacing the piano hinge. Plus, it's water proof also, as I put sealant around it after using pop-rivets to install it. Hope this helps. Del
thanks....are you talking about the rubber that would go along the edge of the garage door or the bottom of the door? That would be a whole lot cheaper than the other solutions. do you have a pic.
Thanks again
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #6

I used Flex Tape on my doors and seemed to work very well.
Larry Neathery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks....are you talking about the rubber that would go along the edge of the garage door or the bottom of the door? That would be a whole lot cheaper than the other solutions. do you have a pic.
Thanks again
Yes that rubber "seal" is what goes along the bottom of the garage door. I picked mine up at Home Depot and trimmed it to the proper length. I used a drill and pop-rivets to attach it to that storage compartment using most of the same holes that were used with the piano hinge. I don't have a photo, will get one next time I to go the storage lot where the RT is located. I have had this in place two years now and no problems.
txswabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Silver Member

Default Hinge on RT outside compartment.

This worked for me on my 1998 RT 190. I had the local body shop install. Price for the item was $25.16 a few years ago. Don't recall body shop charge but it was cheap and I couldn't have done it. Came in 6ft length, just cut to size.

Item #: 4561-2231-020 Desc: 24MM X 2 METER BLACK CENTAFLEX

CONTINUOUS HINGE 6'

WEATHER PROOF, CORROSION RESISTANT, FLEXIBLE

Price: 25.16

Moore Industrial Hardware
77 Circle Freeway Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246
Phone 800-543-1677
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi,
Thank you for posting this question and to everyone who responded!! I've had the same problem for the past 2 years. My body shop tried to put screws in the old hinge, and we used Gorilla tape on the outside, but the hinge came apart again while I was out of state. The only things holding it together right now are the tape and the locks at the bottom. Now I'll be able to buy the replacement hinge and have my body shop put that on! Thanks again!
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobow View Post
This worked for me on my 1998 RT 190. I had the local body shop install. Price for the item was $25.16 a few years ago. Don't recall body shop charge but it was cheap and I couldn't have done it. Came in 6ft length, just cut to size.

CONTINUOUS HINGE 6'

WEATHER PROOF, CORROSION RESISTANT, FLEXIBLE

Price: 25.16

77 Circle Freeway Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246
Phone 800-543-1677

After seeing this, I ordered the hinge for my 1999 RT 190 Popular and took it to my body shop. I paid around $30 or $35 for the hinge and $20 for shipping. Unfortunately, my body shop said it wouldn't work because the hinge was too thick and the compartment door wouldn't close. Did they do something wrong or did I make the mistake of assuming it would be the same thickness that worked on yours? This seems strange that it wouldn't work. So they put installed 3 metal hinges over the old hinge instead. You can see them from the outside, and the old hinge doesn't look that great because I had been taping over it, so I put another strip of Gorilla tape over it. I haven't looked in the compartment since I got home Monday evening, but I was driving in rain, so I'm wondering if water will be in there. I wish they had gotten the new hinge on there. Not sure what to do with the new hinge now.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
Silver Member

I would venture to say the body shop did not know what they were doing. The part worked perfectly on my 98' RT 190 and I found a commenter on another site that the same hinge part number had a good fit on a 2003 RT 190. Will followup with a link to the 2003 RT commenter. Bob
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
I would venture to say the body shop did not know what they were doing. The part worked perfectly on my 98' RT 190 and I found a commenter on another site that the same hinge part number had a good fit on a 2003 RT 190. Will followup with a link to the 2003 RT commenter. Bob
Will be back with the 2003 commenter in the meantime here is part 2 of a video of the hinge part # 4561-2231-020 being owner installed on his RT. Good visible in the beginning of the video of what the hinge looks like.

Bob
Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #13
Silver Member

Here is al ink with a reference to the same hinge part # working on a 2003 RT. Scroll down to "Slayers" 2nd comment. https://community.fmca.com/topic/303...acement-hinge/

Your RT is a 170 but still should be the same as my 190 when it comes to the outside compartment hinge. But I could be wrong. Bob
Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is al ink with a reference to the same hinge part # working on a 2003 RT. Scroll down to "Slayers" 2nd comment. https://community.fmca.com/topic/303...acement-hinge/

Your RT is a 170 but still should be the same as my 190 when it comes to the outside compartment hinge. But I could be wrong. Bob
Thanks for the links, Bobow! I had seen the video before and offered to give the link to my body shop. I'll print out the written instructions from Slayers. The body shop to which I go mostly works on cars, not RV's, but they did an excellent job of repairing and replacing parts behind the back tire when a tire blew out and tore up the fiberglass, exhaust pipe, etc. I also had them replace the air conditioner a couple of years ago. There is an RV place that I've gone to before that sells 5th wheelers. I had them do work on my previous Coach House but haven't asked them about replacing the hinge. Do you think an RV place like that would do better at replacing the hinge?
Old 10-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Silver Member

Pam, it would be worth a try to see what they say. I was lucky when I talked to my body shop as they had an RT in for something else and I showed them the hinge. They looked it over with the rivets etc and said they could do it. Bob
Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pam, it would be worth a try to see what they say. I was lucky when I talked to my body shop as they had an RT in for something else and I showed them the hinge. They looked it over with the rivets etc and said they could do it. Bob
Class B's seem pretty rare here in Iowa. I bought all 3 of mine in states east of the Mississippi. The owner of the body shop thought they could do it too, but that would depend on what experience his employees have. I think he is more positive about their ability than they may be. LOL. For now, what they did appears to be working well (I've only opened it once but the hinges felt really solid), so it's really more a matter of appearance. I also need to see if water got into the compartment from all the rain while I was driving. Guess I'll hang onto the new hinge and have it installed when I can find someone else. I did save the written instructions so I'll have those to give to the next repair place. Thanks so much for your help!!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about your repair. Perhaps you can post a picture.

I cannot imagine that the hinge is that complicated to fit. The problem is that you never know who really works on your vehicle and if they have done that job before (probably not in regards to replacing a Roadtrek hinge).

If a mechanic has not done this job before, the first step is to just think and analyze the situation. Too many mechanics get out the tools immediately and then, half-way through the job, they realize they have encountered a problem. Your vehicle then ends up as part of their learning curve and a failed experiment.

Again, I am baffled as to how they could not fit a hinge. It only opens one way and I'm sure just by looking and some basic thinking, one can figure out which half goes on the door and which half goes on the body. Plus, I assume the old hinge was still attached. (Unless the first thing they did was get out their tools and take it off-see paragraph above). This just baffles me!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #18
Silver Member

Pam, you have a '99 RT 190 not a 170. My error. When I was in the body shop and they just happened to have an RT like mine in the bay the owner of the body shop asked one of his employee if he could install the hinge. He looked it over very carefully, noting the rivets etc and said he could do it. He did a great job and it has held up over the years. My point is that who ever is going to do the actual work needs to look the job over and give it some thought.

I would say the person in your body shop that said the hinge you bought was too thick did not fully comprehend how it fits the RT body and the compartment lid. Have them take a closer look and also tell them several RT owners have used the same replacement hinge with no problems. Hope this helps. Bob
Old 10-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pam, you have a '99 RT 190 not a 170. My error.
I would say the person in your body shop that said the hinge you bought was too thick did not fully comprehend how it fits the RT body and the compartment lid. Have them take a closer look and also tell them several RT owners have used the same replacement hinge with no problems. Hope this helps. Bob
The owner of the body shop told me they couldn't close the compartment door with the new hinge, suggesting the hinge was too thick. I didn't ask for details, so I don't know if they tried to put it on over the old hinge or what happened. I haven't taken the hinge out of the box, and I should do that to see if they had cut it. If they didn't cut it, that would indicate they didn't try to put it on since the hinge is longer than the storage compartment. I can say that this body shop is extremely busy. He's had a LOT of vehicles at his shop, and he works on vehicles for some local businesses too. I had to get my RT back from them to leave town for a dog show, so my assumption is that they didn't necessarily spend a lot of time looking at the hinge. Maybe they went with a quicker solution. I'm just guessing. Right now, the main issues for me is whether or not water can get in the compartment and the appearance. A new hinge would obviously look nicer than Gorilla tape over the old hinge, but water in the compartment would obviously be a more important issue.

The body shop also does mechanical repairs, and I'm waiting to see if I can get my RT back today. While I was at the dog show, something happened to the heater core or something - smoke came out of the AC/heater vent when I left the show site, so they're working on fixing that now. I'm heading out of town this weekend for another dog show, so I'm hoping they'll get that fixed today.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I just placed an order for 2 for my 1999 Versatile 200. I'll provide feedback once installation is complete. Pricing updated below.

CONTINUOUS HINGE, 6', WEATHER PROOF, CORROSION RESISTANT, FLEXIBLE

Price: 25.16 --> 32.47

77 Circle Freeway Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246
Phone 800-543-1677