Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Default 1999 Pleasure Way leak in bathroom, top vent?

There have been torrential downpours here in Florida the last several days, and I found water in my shower and around the toilet. I'm guessing it's coming from the vent pipe on top of the van, but I'm not sure. If it is, what would I need to do? There are two pipes on top and both are open.

The pipe in the corner behind the toilet seems to be caulked well, but I can't see directly behind it to be sure, and I can't tell by touch. I just now thought I might be able to try looking behind with a small mirror when it stops raining later today.

I just purchased the RV about a month ago and am still learning about it and discovering problems to fix.

Thanks for any input.
kpdfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

the pipes probably need to be recaulked where they come out of the roof, could also be antenna or vent.

I did mine a couple of years ago and recaulking everything was easy- I first removed the vent, and standing on a stool in the van was able t scrape and clean away all the old stuff on the roof

recaulk and then lastly caulk and reinstall the vent/fan.

this is MUCH easier than leaning off the side of a ladder on the outside of the van

if your vent is just a stub of pipe, a 360º venturi type cover will help control any tank odors esp when driving

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Thank you, I will take a look at the caulk on the top, too. Unfortunately the way the pipe is there wouldn't be an opening inside, so I would have to take care of it on a ladder on the outside.

It is a small pipe that protrudes on the top; I searched and found something called a Cyclone Sewer Vent from Camping World that would be good. Is that what is meant by venturi-type?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I got the Lippert Components 389381 White Roof Vent- it fit the pipe stub on my PW I didn;t have to use all the parts.

I used a little pvc adhesive and also a set screw.

on my van the water ( heavy heavy storm- blowing sideways), was showing up in the cabinet over the bed- I think but am not sure the origin was the vent seal, as above i redid everything.
and it has been dry as a bone the past 2 years

all in all it was a 3 hour job-

knock on wood!

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

Two years with no leaks, good job!!!

I'll be ordering the Lippert vent cap to give it a try.

Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

First, determine the source of the leak. Are you sure that it comes from the vent? Did you check the toilet properly? It might be any leaks occurred from the toilet. I doubt it is a toilet leak. Wipe the bathroom with a sponge and make it dry. Then patiently check the source of the leak. If it from the toilet tank, the check the bolts, valve, and flapper properly. If the water level is above the overflow tube, the problem may be with the inlet valve and ballcock. And the flapper damage results in the water leak into the toilet bowl.
If the leak is from a corner, place butyl tape sealer on the both sides of the corner. The flow seal can be used to prevent the leaks originated from roof vents. I think it is better to hire any professional plumbers to check out the problem and fix. I don't welcome the DIY repair because I'm afraid might it cause any harm.
JenniferBarth is offline   Reply With Quote