Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I am not a lawyer but my whole family seems to be. Technically you are correct but good luck when you go to Onan and claim your generator failed and they learn (they track detailed usage and specs on each unit) a user added extra mufflers and built a sound proof case around the unit - that caused overheating. Onan doesn't even honor many units that just don’t get enough exercise. They’ll say jump in the lake. You can take them to court and argue the warranty is still in effect but at what cost? Even if you were to eventually prevail and get your legal fees back is it worth the massive aggravation and time? And you very well may lose, meaning you are out the substanial legal fees. There is the law and whether technically manufacture’s can void them for aftermarket additions and there is everyday reality. Sadly most of the risk to peruse these cases is on the user - not on the manufacturer.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I am not a lawyer but my whole family seems to be. Technically you are correct but good luck when you go to Onan and claim your generator failed and they learn (they track detailed usage and specs on each unit) a user added extra mufflers and built a sound proof case around the unit - that caused overheating. Onan doesn't even honor many units that just don’t get enough exercise. They’ll say jump in the lake. You can take them to court and argue the warranty is still in effect but at what cost? Even if you were to eventually prevail and get your legal fees back is it worth the massive aggravation and time? And you very well may lose, meaning you are out the substanial legal fees. There is the law and whether technically manufacture’s can void them for aftermarket additions and there is everyday reality. Sadly most of the risk to peruse these cases is on the user - not on the manufacturer.
Do you have the slightest evidence to support any of these claims?

--Can you document even a single case in which "Onan [didn't] even honor many units that just don’t get enough exercise." Have you even read the Onan warranty? Does it say anything about "exercise"? [it does not--Like most warranties, it is carefully written to be in conformance with MM]
--Did you read what I said about spec lawyers? Please Google "Magnuson-Moss". You will discover that almost all of the hits are from spec lawyers. Ask your family what that means. [It means that if you have a decent case, they will take all the risk.] It will cost you nothing in money and very little in time. Your claim that "Sadly most of the risk to peruse these cases is on the user - not on the manufacturer." is simply specious.
--Do you have any personal experience in this area? [I do. The spec-lawyer system works as advertised.] I am not only "technically correct", I am correct in practice.

The simple fact is that MM is one of the best-crafted consumer protection laws on the books, and the supporting regulations are also first-rate. You have rights, and they are not just theoretical. But you use them or they are worthless.

I am not going to keep arguing with you. But, the Web is full of BS claims about this or that "voiding your warranty". It is all nonsense, and it is a real disservice to readers to make claims that you simply make up.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote