Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2.8 onan

Can a muffler be used on the 2.8 Onan or how else would quiet this Generator?
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc1977 View Post
There is a "resonator" that the manufacturer sells. It changes the sound a bit.

As a practical matter, nothing will make it quiet. This is one of the main reasons some people go with large Lithium battery packs.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you do a search, you'll find several previous threads. Most never satisfactorily quieting it in a substantial way.

I had a muffler shop weld a factory cummins/onan resonator on my b rv (first pic). It's your choice where to cut existing tail pipe as others have done it further out (second pic).

Disappointing that onan has failed to quiet their generators, but as Avanti said, the resonator changes the sound. Makes the sound note lower and more pleasing. Worth it, just don't expect too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Onan resonator mine.JPG (519.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Onan resonator other.jpg (418.3 KB, 39 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Here's a youtube sound test. I wouldn't say mine made that much difference, but mine is mounted close to the generator if that affects the sound in any way.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Back pressure on generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc1977 View Post
I have a 2.5 LPG and inquired about this with Cummins Onan.

They told me to skip it so I'm passing this along to you as well.

I imagine that your Pleasure Way cannot accommodate a large lithium battery pack like mine and changing it out is probably cost prohibitive. If you ever decide to go that direction you might as well start with a late model or brand new rig.

From what I've heard about these lithium batteries it's probably better to start new or just skip that as well. The generator is nice to have for air conditioning, backup power for the coach whenever you need it.

In my opinion, the cost to replace those batteries every few years is a huge expense, actually, it's all expensive. Either way, unless you're actually living in your rig, the noise factor is temporary.

I'm sure that there's going to be plenty of people who will disagree with me, but, don't mess with the design setup from the manufacturer ( Cummins Onan) and let the machine run in it's natural state.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Team

As I gather OP has already discovered, sleeping with an RV roof-type A/C unit immediately above you and an Onan genest immediately below you is pretty much a non-starter.

The good news is that much quieter replacement A/Cs have recently become available (several threads on this). The bad news is that the Onan is hopeless. I have added a second-engine alternator and have upgraded my batteries with enough capacity to give us a few hours of A/C running in the evening and try to seek out shore power when that isn't good enough. I still have our genset, but since it is nearly useless I am close to pulling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
In my opinion, the cost to replace those batteries every few years is a huge expense
How does this compare with the cost of replacing your genset every few years?
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Properly maintained genset doesn't need replacement every few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
As I gather OP has already discovered, sleeping with an RV roof-type A/C unit immediately above you and an Onan genest immediately below you is pretty much a non-starter.

The good news is that much quieter replacement A/Cs have recently become available (several threads on this). The bad news is that the Onan is hopeless. I have added a second-engine alternator and have upgraded my batteries with enough capacity to give us a few hours of A/C running in the evening and try to seek out shore power when that isn't good enough. I still have our genset, but since it is nearly useless I am close to pulling it.

How does this compare with the cost of replacing your genset every few years?
Avanti, I'm glad you think this is so hysterically funny...
WOW..... what a world.....so adversarial....how can you call yourself unbiased with remarks like that.... You call that professional?

Of course there is maintenance on anything, I never said anything to the contrary.

Sure, go ahead and fly without a generator..... I really don't care what you think...

As per sleeping with the HVAC going, why not just go somewhere that's not that damn hot at night.

Normally, we open the windows and have the fantastic fan going it's usually a cool breeze.

AC on batteries is a very short term situation and I don't know how you can compare an under hood second alternator to a full sized generator..... maybe you can add batteries easily, not everyone has the space or the luxury of doing this. I don't think you can just add lithium batteries to any system without modifications to the electrical system and wires?
Old 08-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Onan's are built to survive the elements. they are noisy but try dumping a bucket of water on a Honda eu generator
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Hi: I have a 2016 PW lexor. I hate the Onan 2.8 Had two resonators placed by muffler shop. Still loud. I increased the battery capacity to 400Amph lithium. I can run the air conditioner a bit without generator. Installed a micro air easy start that helps reduce the required start up amp on inverter. I actually carry a Westinghouse 2500 inverter generator and run it when I need air conditioner. It is not only the noise but the smell of gas is an issue for me. I converter the generator to burn propane. Just my personal opinion. I wish Honda would develop a quite durable inverter generator for the rv industry. I heard they looked at it many years ago but decided against it because of the limited market and sales. Thanks
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I wish Honda would develop a quite durable inverter generator for the rv industry. I heard they looked at it many years ago but decided against it because of the limited market and sales. Thanks
Yes. For better or worse, ICE power of all kinds are perceived as at end-of-life--they just aren't going to attract the R&D dollars necessary to do what is possible. The future is electric.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:21 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Depends on who's lifetime you're talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes. For better or worse, ICE power of all kinds are perceived as at end-of-life--they just aren't going to attract the R&D dollars necessary to do what is possible. The future is electric.
I don't think I'll see this come to 💯 percent fruition... I think we're about 30 years away from this.

As for research and development, I'm not inclined to agree completely. Gasoline and diesel engines have greatly been enhanced in the last 10 years with higher MPG and more power from smaller displacement.

The real issue, in my opinion, is the infrastructure and the standardization of chargers. There's too many competing platforms, Tesla, Chademo, Charge Point ..see this reference...,.

PlugShare is probably the most popular EV charging site/app to date. It includes all types of charging stations (level 2, CHAdeMO, SAE Combo, Supercharger) and stations from various charging station companies/networks (ChargePoint, Blink, EVgo, GE, SemaCharge).Sep 10, 2015

Until they get serious and settle on a one standard platform and populate charging stations all across the USA it will be a continued slow rollout of electric vehicles. They are still the lowest percentage of the cars on the road today. And, while the range anxiety for small cars are getting better, there is still no good solution for RVs at any price point normal people can afford. Yes, there's a trial run for larger trucks, but, this is for commercial operations with enormous budgets.

I'm all for electric cars, we purchased a 2009 Toyota Prius brand new and it's a fantastic car.

I can better see the rollout of all hybrid vehicles way before all electric vehicles ( 100 percent density).....and, there's always going to be some ICE cars and trucks.... just will be.

Remember that the electric vehicle is by no means new ... It's been around for a 150 years with false starts and spectacular failures.

Infrastructure is the name of the game here. Without it and there won't be a huge impact.

Tesla has the right idea here, except that they won't let non Tesla cars use their charging stations... that's going to be a real problem... that needs to change.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Range extender

A potential spinoff from the potentially growing vehicle range extender market to the RV world is my wishful thinking. Try to do the “coin test” at 2:40 with Onan. Just dreaming. This one is large but imagine an RV Hybrid having a range extender good for recharging vehicle batteries and for RV needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=M98Clpamn_w
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Where do you find this stuff?

Tie that to a generator (which it may already be) and an inverter and the RV generator market is toast. Yep, dreamin'.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
Platinum Member

This V2 engine has 2 alternators powered directly by geared flywheel, valves are driven by pushrods. The engine would require liquid cooling system (quiet) which could be combined with water heating or even space heating. 30kW would be too much for B-class unless someone has large Lithium battery bank which could be charge quickly. Still dreaming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extender.jpg (126.5 KB, 17 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Yes, imagine a 3KW version with fuel injection or propane!
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #16
Platinum Member

The exhaust is not the primary source of noise. The alternator and the engine combine to generate a fair amount of heat that must be dissipated. That makes it difficult to create an enclosure that can contain the mechanical sound while at the same time allowing air flow around this hardware. I imagine it is not impossible to improve but the expense would be great to provide a fire resistant sound deadening package to fit in the same space and still be able to keep the hardware cooled.

Another approach that is simpler than the common generator would be nice. Odd as it may seem, simpler may imply technology that can cost a lot more. To me the Lithium system is a bit complex but whether you agree with that or not, it is expensive, and can be expensive when things go wrong or batteries need replacement. I love the WB implementation but goodness it is a chunk of change to include in a vehicle. I should measure the decibel level of my home air conditioning compressor. I know my CUMMINS home standby 17kw (max kw at sea level) gets the outside db up to about 90 when you are within about 30 feet or so.

A resonator addition does not cost much. It will not help much but because of the low cost to add one, it a reasonable thing to do.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Storysrvwego, great response. It’s not just the exhaust that makes all the racket with the Onan generator. Onan does NOT recommend adding an additional muffler but some have tried that will a bit of success on the exhaust noise - but it will invalidate any Onan warranty. I did add the Onan resonator. It does not reduce the amount of sound but it does noticeable change the tone. It’s a less high pitched and clangy sounding. Less annoying to my ears but others hear little difference.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
Onan does NOT recommend adding an additional muffler but some have tried that will a bit of success on the exhaust noise - but it will invalidate any Onan warranty.
Aftermarket modifications do not invalidate warranties. That would be against the law. Warranties generally do not cover damage due to such modifications, but Onan would have to prove that your muffler mod actually caused the damage in question. The warranty, in any event, remains intact.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

We probably all appreciate that this is a gray area. Using a K&N air filter does not invalidate the warranty on a car engine, even though most manufacturers do not recommend using one (I worked with Chevy and while a K&N can increase horsepower it does not remove the finest dust particles as well as the stock filter - like everything, it is a trade-off). Adding an aftermarket turbo charger or changing the pulley size on a super charged engine does invalidate the warranty. The point is a van customer properly doesn’t have the resources to go fight it in court - Onan has lots of resources. Adding an additional muffler changes the back pressure, which in theory can change the generator’s engine performance, emissions efficiency, and lifespan. IMHO not worth the risk if your generator is still under warranty, if it is not, then maybe it’s worth tinkering around with if you are so inclined. However, per my original post, exhaust noise is only component of the Onan generator’s noise.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
We probably all appreciate that this is a gray area.
There is no "gray area" whatsoever. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act categorically prohibits aftermarket modifications from affecting consumer warranties. Period.
Quote:
Using a K&N air filter does not invalidate the warranty on a car engine, even though most manufacturers do not recommend using one (I worked with Chevy and while a K&N can increase horsepower it does not remove the finest dust particles as well as the stock filter - like everything, it is a trade-off). Adding an aftermarket turbo charger or changing the pulley size on a super charged engine does invalidate the warranty.
No it does not. Your claim is simply incorrect. NO aftermarket modification in and of itself "invalidates" any consumer warranty in the USA. As I explained, if your aftermarket turbo charger ACTUALLY DAMAGES the vehicle and if the OEM can PROVE it, then the warranty excludes such damage. But the warranty is NOT invalidated in any way.

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/images/warranty_ftc.pdf

Will Modifications Void Your New Car Warranty? - Law Office of Steve Lehto

Moreover, the Act places the burden of proof on the Warrantor. You don't have to prove anything.

Please note that I am NOT claiming that damage you do due to such modifications are themselves covered. I am simply (and correctly) saying that they do not "void" your warranty concerning any unrelated damage.

Quote:
The point is a van customer properly doesn’t have the resources to go fight it in court - Onan has lots of resources.
Fortunately, MM anticipates this as well. It provides for the recovery of legal fees by consumers if they win their action. This, in turn, causes there to be a small army of spec lawyers who will gladly represent you for free if you have any kind of case (which they will also assess for free), knowing that they will collect the big bucks from Onan if they win. No cost to you, either way.
Quote:
Adding an additional muffler changes the back pressure, which in theory can change the generator’s engine performance, emissions efficiency, and lifespan. IMHO not worth the risk if your generator is still under warranty, if it is not, then maybe it’s worth tinkering around with if you are so inclined.
Again, it makes no difference whatsoever whether the warranty is in effect or not. Either way, you are responsible for any damage you may do. If the warranty is still in effect, Onan's responsibilities for other damage remains with them. The claim you are making is simply incorrect.