Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Default 2 basic tire questions

1995 Pleasureway/Dodge 350 Ram
Can I use the standard tires for the Ram van, or do I need some kind of heavy duty tire?? If so, any specifics?

Is there a reason to get top-of-the line tires, as the camper sits in the driveway 80% of the time?

Thanks
Bob W
banjerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2 basic tire questions

Class Bs run on light truck tires which carries the LT designation. I don't know what you mean by standard but they should at least be LT regardless. The tire dealers like Tires Plus, Sears, Discount Tire, etc. all have search functions for you vehicle to determine the proper tire size. As for the 80% in the driveway, that is not the part that counts. It is the other 20% on the road. Generally, the higher mileage warranty tire is going to cost more and for them to warrant that tire it is most likely a better tire whether the first mile you drive it or the last.

You just have to look at your annual mileage and how long you plan to keep your B to determine how much you will be willing to pay. I put 56,000 miles on my B in 3 years. I already had to buy new tires because the original set lasted just about what they were warranted for at 40,000 miles. I upgraded to a top of the line 70,000 mile warranted tire. I'm getting much better tread wear now and a little more peace of mind out on the road even though I doubt I will drive 70,000 miles on them (but someone will). But, I already know with my driving habits a 40,000 mile tire won't cut it. My tires sit for about 67% of the time.

Another factor is don't buy a warranted tire with more mileage than you might put on them in 8 years or conservatively 6 years. Even if they still have decent tread they will be approaching their useful life and be subject to blowouts.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Gold Member

Adding to Davydd's comments, they should also have an "E" load rating.Last thing you want is a blow out on an underrated tire. I drive a 1995 PW Dodge 350 as well. Put Michelin LTX M&S LT225 75R16E on it 3 years ago. They've been great tires in terms of low noise and handling. They're being replaced today (in kind) because of a Michelin recall, but that's a separate issue. Similar tire by Michelin but M/S 2 are on a lot of similar vans now.
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Thanks, guys! Exactly what I needed to know.
Bob
banjerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Gold Member

Looks like you've got the info you need from the above posts. I'll share that for our chevy 1500 awd van conversion we went overkill on the tires and have 10 ply "E" rated all season LT radials and love the handling. This is my wife's daily driver so it is on the road every day and gets about a week of adventuring each month on our mini-trips out camping in our native Pacific Northwest. The van came stock with silly (read; should be illegal !!) passenger rated tires which we swapped out the first week for the real deal. Since i didn't see where you were located i'll mention we purchased ours at a Les Schwab dealer and have been pleased with the ~3 years of service.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Lt tires also have stiffer sidewalls for better handling.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote