Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Default 2001 Great West Vans Classic (not supreme) - turning the front chairs into beds

Hi there,

Just came across the forum and I'm hoping someone here may be able to help. We're first time prospective buyers and we're hoping we've found the RV for us. As the title said it's a non-supreme (no bubble top) 2001 Great West Vans Classic; the silver anniversary edition. It has an electric couch in the back that turns into a bed and allegedly the 4 chairs in the front will fold down into 2 single beds. We have 2 young kids so this should be perfect.

Here's the problem: the owners are a husband and wife who have only ever used the bed in the back. They have no idea how to convert them into beds but they're "pretty sure" it can be done.

As some of you know, Great West Vans is out of business so I can't even email them to ask and I haven't been able to track down any documentation on that year's model online.

So, I'm hoping one of you experts can help me out here. Any idea if those chairs can convert into beds and if so, how? I definitely can't buy an RV that won't sleep us and the kids and we don't need much space but we definitely won't all fit on one bed.

Any advice/ideas/tips?

Thanks,
JP
porizj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi, and welcome to the list!

It would help if you could post a few pics.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

This is the Kijiji posting: Motor home. Great west | RVs, motorhomes | Kitchener / Waterloo | Kijiji

They took a few pictures but they're not the best. I'll see if I can get in there to take a few shots next week (the sellers just left for the long weekend).

Thanks!
JP
porizj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

At this point... with GWV gone... you might have to rig your own system. Most of their rigs didn't have the 4 front seats, so likely no one will show up who tried this. I should think it would just be a matter of turning the two front seats with their backs to the door and adding a platform of some sort... with a pad on the top.

I have seen some camping gear that looked like it could work...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Unless I am missing something, this should be simple. Just inspect the vehicle more closely.... take a friend who is mechanically inclined. Test the rotation of the front seats, get under the 2 passenger seats and simply look. Most of the features in these campers are easily discoverable.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote