Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2001 Roadtrek rear door lock

My 2001 Roadtrek 190 (Dodge chassis) has power locks. When you put the key in the driver's door and turn it twice all doors should open. I just realized today that the rear door does not lock, but all the other doors work with the double turn of the key. However, I can lock and unlock the rear door manually with the key.

I looked at the Dodge factory manual and it mentions the two front doors, but not the rear. Of course, this is a modified van with a unique rear door compared to a commercial work van. I am assuming that all doors should operate with the turn of the key.

1. Can someone with a similar model check to see if the rear door is supposed to lock?

2. Has anyone with a similar problem taken any of the the doors apart?
(I assume that the power locks in all the doors all operate the same way)

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Problem solved

The side and rear doors do not have a wiring harness in them The electrical current is supplied via two dime-sized metal "buttons" on the door sills. Subsequently, there are two smaller "buttons" on the door. when the doors are closed these make contact.

I simply cleaned the oxidation off the "buttons" with some fine sandpaper and everything is back to normal. Nice easy fix!
Old 12-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Silver Member

Should it happen again, check the door auto lock linkage inside the rear door. My 1997 B3500 has a single rear door and the linkage broke, rendering the rear auto door lock inop. It works OK manually. I think the shape of that linkage causes it to be prone to fatigue and failure. I am pretty sure the doors are the same ~1995 thru 2003 (and perhaps earlier).
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LeisureTravelDodge View Post
Should it happen again, check the door auto lock linkage inside the rear door. My 1997 B3500 has a single rear door and the linkage broke, rendering the rear auto door lock inop. It works OK manually. I think the shape of that linkage causes it to be prone to fatigue and failure. I am pretty sure the doors are the same ~1995 thru 2003 (and perhaps earlier).
I bought a 1997 Roadtrek 170P with a rear door that did not electrically lock, but would with the key. After opening up the door panel, I found the link rod was broken in two pieces. Something must have forced it hard enough that it broke the rod, right at a bend. I found there was a similar lock mechanism on ebay with good pictures of the rod, and from that and the two pieces -- I made a new rod out of some steel wire that I had in a junk drawer. Surprisingly, it worked the first time without any further adjustment.

So check ebay if you need a new lock mechanism. It might still be there.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks for the linkage tips. Luckily, I did not have to remove the door panel.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
Gold Member

Mine turned out to be a bad solenoid on the rear side door. I replaced it with one from "all electronics" Here is a link: https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...ctuator/1.html