Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: 2002 era Chevy Express Van fuel pump replacement

10-4 on FWT. Booster had a thread in the tweaks, mods, and projects section which covered his
addition of a fan boost for rad airflow. Quite a nice set up, and hopefully will help his Chev based
van to keep cool in the summer heat of Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma, etc.
Should he ever be crazy enough to go there in the summer.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #22

I have a 2004 Roadtrek 190 Versatile. For several trips I have had a problem with the engine cutting out or dying at either high altitude (mountains) or high temperaturs (desert). I have almost aborted 3 vacations due to this nagging problem. On the last one the check engine light finally came on (provides codes) and the Chevy dealer in New Mexico diagnosed it to a leaking intake manifold gasket, charged me $2200 to fix, and sent me on my way. The next mountain pass on the way to San Diego, the problem came back. I was then in LA at another Chevy dealer and fortunately for me the mechanic spent his spare time reading GM Service Instructions.....
He produced one published in 2006.
"#05-06-04-046A Crank and No Start, Reduced Power, Intermittant Hesitiation, Hesitiates in High Altitude/High Ambient Temperatures (Replace with Newly Designed Fuel Pump Module without Fuel Level Sensor - (Aug 14, 2006)".
They replace the fuel pump with the NEWLY designed fuel pump for $1100 and sent me on my way. The next three weeks I went over the entire northwest including several mountains and had no more problems. I consider the problem finally fixed. Ironically my gas mileage got about 2 mph worse, but at least I don't lose my engine at 9,000 feet on a mountain road.
Ask me how happy I am to have spent $3300 on repairs for a GM DESIGN problem...
I hope the above info helps you and others.
GM and / or Roadtrek should have notified all Roadtrek owners and given them the option of getting this fixed while still under warranty... Grif
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I've read about that power loss or stalling at altitude somewhere but I don't recall what the fix was
for the problem, but the intake manifold gasket issue related to Dexcool usage in Chevy engines,
doesn't ring a bell.
However, I replaced the same manifold gaskets in my 2002 after discovering a small leak just over
a year ago. Cost me $1100 I think, to get it fixed. No damage/leakage into any cylinders, luckily.

I just googled it and now I recall the stalling, power loss, was some combination of altitude and high
ambient temperatures, resulting in some sort of fuel line or fuel tank vapor lock, cutting fuel pressure
and causing power loss and stalling, iirc. I think it happened to someone else on this forum a while back.

Found this lengthy hit on the net. Describes all sorts of problems related to fuel pumps and PCM/VCMs.
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/16rfe-2 ... nning.html
Is this your problem as your LA mechanic found? ("I was then in LA at another Chevy dealer and fortunately for me the mechanic spent his spare time reading GM Service Instructions.....")
btw, was LA = Louisiana or Los Angeles?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
Platinum Member

We had the engine dying, stalling & not wanting to restart with our '02 Chev. 5.7L. Sometimes at altitude & high temps, sometimes just random - even at sea level. I tried 3 different mechanic shops. None could find the problem as there were no "Computer C0DES" and the check engine light never came on (only a 'check gauges' light - but I don't think that is the same thing). I had the fuel filter replaced twice, that seemed to remedy it for a while, but not permanent.
The only way it would start during these episodes was to hold accelerator at about 1/2 throttle and then drive away. It was fine after that for many miles & many re-starts. The last time it happened was in my drive-way taking it into the mech. shop for an unrelated issue. I finally convinced them to DO something - no mention of the fuel pump though. They talked to the local GM dealer ( not much help there!). Finally replaced what they called an IDLE CONTROL MOTOR. Never heard of that...
At least now it starts - I've had it out a few time and it runs fine.
HOWEVER I do believe the fuel consumption has been adversely effected!
We are headed out next Tuesday for our Seattle, Canada, Yukon, Alaska trip. I'll keep close track of MPG at least until we get to Canada & plan to carry extra gas cans. As long as it doesn't stall or leave us stranded for bear bait I'll be happy.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #25
Platinum Member

"As long as it doesn't stall or leave us stranded for bear bait I'll be happy."

I would be too.
Good luck, safe trip.
Wish I was going along. Maybe next year.....
Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #26

Default 2002 190 Roadtrek Chevy Express 3500 fuel Pump

I have a 2002 190 Roadtrek Chevy Express 3500. The vehicle fuel pump failed and I replaced it with a Spectra Premium Fuel Pump PN SP61072M with port for aux fuel. The vehicle runs fine now.

Except now the Onan generator is now not getting fuel. The generator runs fine when I run the fuel tube to an external fuel source. But when hooked to the vehicle, it will not draw fuel from the vehicle fuel tank. All the lines are good and no damage to them.

Is there a 'special' fuel pump that I'm supposed to use
johnemillerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #27
Platinum Member

The generator pickup tube is usually installed to get fuel above the 1/4 tank level. Have you tested it with 1/2 tank of fuel?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #28

yes it has a full tank of gas, but where the fuel line is connected to aux port on the vehicle fuel pump underside there doesn't seem to be a hose or line that goes down into vehicle fuel tank. I threw the old one out, (because when I changed it everything was working, the gen worked because of the residual in the line and gen ) so I have nothing to compare it to.
johnemillerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I'll post a link to the Spectra Premium Fuel Pump PN SP61072M - https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/SP61072M - you installed. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with info here.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote