Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

Default 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau Value

Hello, I'm a newbie and a girl to boot so apologies for the angst represented in this post. I've made an offer on a 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau, Dodge Sprinter Chassis, Mercedes diesel. I've been looking for a PW Excel for the past year but haven't found what I wanted for a price agreeable to me. Then this 2005, with only 50K miles, came to my attention. Although I have found the listed NADA range to be representative of list/sales prices, this one is all off. I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that this is the first year the Plateau was produced by PW? So, NADA lists the used price range at $30-36. I find NOTHING on RV Trader or craigslist even close to this range. Seller is asking $50K and as I was looking at an Excel (granted a 2010 compared to a 2005) with 70K miles, the Plateau seemed the much better deal, even discounting the NADA range. But, when I went to get an insurance quote, they will only insure for $34K. Am I offering too much?
Appreciate your considered opinion. Thanks.
The Jode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I had a 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS I bought new for $63,000 in February, 2006 but the average MSRP price was $78,000. I sold it for $55,000 in February, 2011. I would say $50,000 is way too much. In 2011 the T1N Sprinter body was still a very much desired body compared to the newer Sprinter models so they kept their premium. With the advent of the Promaster there is simply not that much desire anymore since the Promaster fills in that size the MB Sprinter abandoned with much newer models and improvements to boot. Also you are talking an additional 5 years of depreciation. For this one, listen to NADA and your insurance agent. What people ask is not necessarily the selling price. If in good condition I would say it was worth $34,000. It is still a well built and designed Class B for its period.

But with 50,000 miles the original tires if they were Michelins like mine would not be worn out and if they are original they need to be replaced. 50,000 miles/11 years is a little over 4,500 miles per year. It probably never needed brake work but is due. That is not necessarily good if it sat a lot. The Onan generator though maybe little used should have at least a minimum of 130 hours on it if maintained properly (exercised). After a decade, much used or not, any vehicle will start to need some tender care.

2005 was Pleasure-way's second year with a Sprinter but the chassis most likely will be a 2004.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #3

Default 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau Value

Thanks Davydd, you've given me much to ponder this evening. My sticking point is that the market is tight for Class Bs and over the past year, in the Northwest anyway, even PW Excels (gas) of the same vintage in comparable condition are selling for more than $45K. This Plateau diesel seems an upgrade from that. I just looked and there are only 3 used ones I can find on the market for under $60K and they are inconveniently located. Hmmmmm. I so appreciate your response!
The Jode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
Site Team

FWIW: We sold our 2005 Airstream Interstate in 2014 for $45,000. These are comparable vehicles (both Sprinter T1N-based). I would expect to see a small (and unjustified) premium for the "Airstream" name, and that was two years ago. But...
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The Excels are pretty highly regarded and hard to find, so that could explain a premium on them. Comparing such different models may not be very helpful. You are best comparing Sprinters to Sprinters.

If I were to choose though, I'd probably prefer an Excel over that vintage Sprinter.

Also, keep in mind you are also shopping in peak season in the northern states. Prices will soften as you get into the fall.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 AM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

For comparison:

2005 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser Class B RV Mercedes Sprinter Diesel MB Cruiser | eBay

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #7

Default New-To-Us 05 Pleasure Way

We recently bought our 2005 PW Plateau from a private part and paid $42,500. for it. It has 119K miles on but looks brand new. Motor is strong five cylinder Mercedes Benz Turbo diesel with the five speed auto. trans. This unit is the twin bed layout(would have preferred the pull out couch) and all of the fabrics look new and hardly used! I have replaced the missing back up camera system with a Wifi system.
I think the asking price for the one you are looking at is about $7k High and would offer the seller accordingly. Good luck!
fxpthl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Along with all the other suggestions I believe all of us, would suggest this;

Do you have a trusted friend who is a qualified mechanic?

Even better, a friend who is a Mechanic & works on RV's.

Take both.

Someone whom you pay for their thorough, earnest & careful inspection.

If so, have them fully inspect the vehicle & the house part - after all you are not buying just a vehicle but a house attached on wheels with propane, water & poop.

Someone who knows that industry well will* help find those problems that a newbie wouldn't.

*I hope, maybe some of the people in your local area might be able to recommend a professional who is impartial to the seller & committed to you.

I won't go into the list of "things that go wrong" but such an inspection will be worth the peace of mind.

And they will reward you by helping you negotiate those invisible to you things that need repair.

Its a seller's market today, the market might flop when Covid is no longer an issue.

And while NADA & the Insurance companies are generally very accurate in terms of actual cash value the reality is there is usually a Premium on top ie; my actual cash value of my 2005 Roadtrek is approximately $23,500 but I have it insured for $56,000 because that is the market plus multiple upgrades.

But all these answers can be clarified with an expert who does the inspection.

Hope this helps ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

Default Pleasure Way Newbie

Thank you Mexicodoctor for your candid suggestions. Although my experience with a Class B is almost non existing, my late parents were avid Class A & C owners. Through my travels with them, I was able to learn quite a lot of knowledge, albeit my Dad's versions of "maintenance" was of the "shade tree mechanic" type! His motto was ' keep plenty of duct tape and chicken wire' on hand and almost anything can be fixed' attitude! I do believe that duct tape has valuable use's but not as any kind of permanent repair of anything. Regular preventive maintenance is how I believe Any vehicle can made to last much longer. With that in mind, I am slowly but surely changing all the fluids in our vehicle along with any filters involved. Not too sure I an able to do the transmission service though. Body doesn't bend or fold like it used too! Getting my hands dirty isn't an issue either. I am going to Harbor Freight and buy one of their multi-tool kits to keep on the RV. So many metric fasteners needed for the Mercedes side of the rig as well as "hex" type's for the RV. Buying a small compressor is another thing I have been thinking about too, for pumping up the suspension bags in the rear.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

An RV Expert is a must.

Perhaps you can find a Mobile RV Repair Professional in your area you can take.

Everything can be fixed & during Covid, Time isn't such an issue until it is.

Regarding the Excel; great unit, very heavy to begin with, the Plateau sounds a better deal but from a chair in another state, its the Expert you take with you whose opinion will be most relevant.

Maybe you could start a thread with that model & year in the title, this way present & past owners can add their 2 cents worth.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #11

Default Starting a new thread

Excellent suggestion sir. Now all I need to d9 is figure just how to do that!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpthl64 View Post
Excellent suggestion sir. Now all I need to d9 is figure just how to do that!

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your rv!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fair market value