Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Question 2006 Great West Legend, need help with power sofa

Hello. We have a fairly new to us 2006 Great West Legend. When we purchased this a couple of months ago, the sales person showed us how to lay the rear electric trifold sofa flat and it's been in that position since we got it. We're now getting ready to replace the crappy carpet in the van, and cannot get the sofa to fold back up. We've checked the fuses and they're OK, but it still appears to not be getting any power. The key is turned on, the switch is on - no motion. Does anyone have any ideas? The owner's manual is pretty useless in this case.

Also, is there a way to refold the sofa manually? I would be happy with that right now..... just so I can get the floor done.

Thank you in advance for any information or suggestions!

Julie
jvyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you checked for the presence of power at the drive motor, or are you assuming it isn't getting power because it isn't running? It is possible that the wiring is fine but the motor has burned out (although I doubt it), so I think I would determine that for sure. Assuming there is no power at the motor when the switch is pushed, the only choice is to debug the wiring and switches. On my (newer) van, that circuit is protected via a circuit breaker, not a fuse. The CB is plugged into a fuse socket, though. If there IS power at the motor but it is not running, then the motor will need to be replaced.

Don't forget that there is a second redundant switch all the way in the back of the van, on the left bulkhead (or, at least there is on ours). Maybe that one will work?

The only way to fold it up manually would be to disconnect the drive screws from the fronts of the seat bottoms. There is one on each side--you would have to disconnect both.

Edit: One more thought--if the motor is OK but the wiring is bad, you could hook up a temporary circuit and drive the motor directly. The polarity of the wires will determine the direction of motor motion.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

Thanks!! Got it working. The fuse tested good, but we replaced it anyway and that did the trick. Thank goodness - no expensive repairs needed!
jvyap is offline   Reply With Quote