Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Default 2006 Mercedes Diesel good or bad?

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where it belonged.

I am getting closer to the buying decision and there is a 2006 Itasca Navion available near me that I am going to look at today. It is based on the sprinter chassis has a 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel and 53000 miles.

I am wondering if these older Mercedes engines are more reliable than the newer V6 engines and what experiences anyone has had with these over time concerning repairs and frequency of repairs on the drive train.

I have absolutely no experience with diesel engines. All my experience is with Ford V10 engines in my last 3 motor homes.

The Navion appears to have an abundance of interior storage, great layout and reasonable exterior storage.

Any thoughts please chime in. Thanks.

Cheers, Mike.
copemanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copemanphoto View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am getting closer to the buying decision and there is a 2006 Itasca Navion available near me that I am going to look at today. It is based on the sprinter chassis has a 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel and 53000 miles.

I am wondering if these older Mercedes engines are more reliable than the newer V6 engines and what experiences anyone has had with these over time concerning repairs and frequency of repairs on the drive train.

I have absolutely no experience with diesel engines. All my experience is with Ford V10 engines in my last 3 motor homes.

The Navion appears to have an abundance of interior storage, great layout and reasonable exterior storage.

Any thoughts please chime in. Thanks.

Cheers, Mike.
From my reading, and I have no experience, folks say the 5 cylinder diesels were the best in comparison to the newer 4 or 6.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Team

The 5 cyl engines are widely considered to be more reliable than the newer ones, based on their relative simplicity and lack of exotic emissions systems. They are, however, comparatively unrefined and truck-like.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #4
Gold Member

One of the best diesel engines ever if maintained properly...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm assuming from the size and weight of that model, that it's a 3500 T1N Sprinter chassis underneath it, rather than a 2500. I don't have numbers, but there weren't many 3500s sold in North America (I've only seen one in the wild).

Yes, the T1N Sprinter is widely perceived as being the more reliable option, supposing you do your maintenance. At this point, they are suffering the effects of age (>10 years out of production) so a lot of belts, hoses, gaskets, etc. parts need to be replaced.

Part of the secret to ownership is to find a good mechanic to help with maintenance. Even if you do a lot of DIY work, you'll probably want some help. I've been unhappy with the service I've gotten in the Houston area. To the extent possible, I plan to use Million Mile Sprinter in Philadelphia going forward (that works for me because I drive from Houston to Nova Scotia every year, so I'm going that way anyway).

Sprinter Forum is the treasure trove of information on mechanical and maintenance issues. Go to the "T1N Talk" and "T1N Write-Ups" subforums.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Our T1N Pleasure-way Plateau Sprinter RV of that era was a 2500 as I think all Sprinter RVs of that era. 22 miles per gallon plus and a 500 mile fill up range was heaven. The only issue was the plastic resonator at the time and we did not get hit in over 65,000 miles and the next owner got my spare aluminum one we carried but never used (unless the dealer kept it for himself). It definitely had the old diesel rattle sound compared to the newer 4 and 6 cyl. Sprinter engines, but not as much as the diesel pickups that dominate the campgrounds pulling trailers and 5th wheels.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Some of the van body T1N rigs were 3500 - I saw one in a local parking lot, but I do not recall the brand. And I'm remembering from somewhere that the 3500 was used for some Class Cs.

The typical 2500 built out as a Class B is very close to the GVWR of 8,500 pounds. Some Class C models are heavier than that, such that manufacturers really couldn't use the 2500s for those configurations.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default 5 cyl MB Turbo

I have a 2006 RT Adventurous on sprinter with same drivetrain. bought it a year ago with 118k mikes and have put 10k more since purchase. It runs great, is surprisingly quiet and gets 22+mpg. 17+ when pulling a toad. Have been in to dealer for oil change and they said these last forever. Note that in the NADA guide, it says do not deduct for high mileage if diesel.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

Watch for rust. These early Sprinters were famous for it.
rrloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by copemanphoto View Post
Hi Everyone,
It is based on the sprinter chassis has a 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel and 53000 miles.

Cheers, Mike.
No fiddly DPF or DEF/emissions issues. Better fuel mileage. 21-22 mpg compared with 17-18 MPG in my 2013 Airstream Interstate with the V6. I still really like mine but the 5 cylinder engine has a very good reputation.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote