Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2008 Honda Crv Tow Car

I just bought a 2008 Honda Crv to tow behind my 2006 Plateau TS. Do any of you tow a Crv or something like it?

It came equipped already to be towed, was towed behind a Class A.

Weighs around 4000 pound with all tow stuff etc.

Was going to buy a 2010 Honda Fit, but thought it kinda small, but nice car. I talked to Phil at PW and he said may owners do tow Honda Crvs.

Let me have your inputs.
jerrygaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2008 Honda Crv Tow Car

Looks like you're within specs to do it. I'd just confirm your hitch rating etc. Does the CRV have a braking system installed for when you are towing it?

I didn't tow with my B but do tow a Ford Escape with my C. A backup camera is handy to check the towed vehicle periodically.

My setup does not allow me to reverse the C when the towed vehicle is connected. I'm limited to the speed allowed by my Ford Escape owners manual when towing so everyone passes me.

I hardly notice the "toad". It tracks wonderfully. I used all Roadmaster products for the setup. My supplementary braking system draws from the car battery so, for me, I have to start the car every few hours - usually when we take a break or get gas etc. I failed to do that one day and ended up with a dead car battery.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. The pw Plateau is rated for 5000 pound tow. I am within the 5000 pounds. I an putting in an SMI STAY-IN-PLAY DUO braking system.
http://smibrake.com/stay-in-play-duo.html
jerrygaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Just wondering, if the Plateau TS is rated at 5,000 lbs/ towing capacity, does(n't) that include the weight
of the towed vehicle under braking by the van? I see you've both got some sort of additional toad
braking systems. Are they functionally necessary, legally required, or just sensible?
As I said, just curious.

Did a bit of googling and found this statement on another RV related site. http://www.rversonline.org/ArtWtandBal.html

"Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is another design capacity of a towing vehicle. It means the maximum weight rating of a towing vehicle and a towed unit in combination. GCWR takes into consideration such things as the drive train capacity (i.e. engine, transmission, drive shaft and differential), gearing, braking capacity, suspension, and axle loading. When integrating a tow vehicle with a trailer, either a fiver or travel trailer, add the GVWR of the trailer with the GVWR of the tow vehicle. If they add up to more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle it a bad match. The only solution is to pick a lighter trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. The same applies to a self contained unit and a towed unit, either four wheels down or on a dolly. Each of the big three pickup truck manufacturers (Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford) state in their literature a "Trailer Towing Capacity" as well as an alternate method for determining maximum allowable trailer weight. The published towing capacity is maximum allowable trailer GVWR, but usually requires extra optional features - called a towing package, and other options such as a particular engine or rear axle ratio. In addition,

State Laws require that any towed vehicle exceeding a specified weight, usually about 1,000 to 1,500 lb.., must have it's own braking system. The alternate method for determining allowable trailer weight requires that you know the loaded weight of the tow vehicle and the loaded weight of the trailer (something we don't know when we are on the dealer's lot). The sum of these loaded weights must not exceed the tow vehicles GCWR. If you use the alternate method for computing allowable trailer weight, you risk not being able to load the tow vehicle more than the weight you used when you calculated the allowable trailer weight. There are also limits placed on the tongue or "hitch weight" when towing a travel trailer. Plan on 12% of the trailer's GVWR as hitch weight; actual hitch weight when connected should fall between 9% and 12% of the trailer's loaded weight. Fifth-wheel pin weight comes out of the trucks payload capacity, and you should plan on 18% of the fiver's GVWR. With the fiver hitched-up the pin weight should be between 15% and 18% of the trailer's loaded weight. No combination should ever exceed the tow vehicle's Gross Axle Weight Ratings, front or rear."

Seems like para 1 is in conflict with para 2, or State Laws require additional vehicle braking systems for anything heavier than a motorcycle. Unless it's a loophole requirement, with the towed vehicle "having to have it's own braking system"
which most motorized vehicles do anyway. Whether they're in use while being towed or not? My RT has a GCWR of 13,500 lbs. with the 5.7L V8 engine, so I should be able to safely pull and stop a total weight of 13,500 lbs. with the Chev 3500 extended van model, as indicated in the owner's manual.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
...................... Are they functionally necessary, legally required, or just sensible?
Yes

If the toad breaks away the supplementary braking system will stop it.
Legally required in some jurisdictions.
They reduce your stopping distance.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Ahhhh, OK. Makes sense, loose hitches fill ditches.

Actually, thinking about this further, when following a toad, I'll be
more aware that if I see one starting to have problems, it could be
trying to stop in front of me in my lane. Is that how that works?
I was unaware of the auto-braking function of the/a toad.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #7

I Have a 2008 Honda CRV with an SMI brake system which I tow behind my 2009 Pleasureway Plateau, no regrets.

Do not be tempted to carry extra stuff in the CRV, else you will exceed your tow weight limit!

On hills, gear down so that revs keep around 2500 rpm, apparently it is more fuel efficient and kinder to the engine.

You cannot reverse whilst towing without unhooking, so when parking, make sure you can drive forward.

Instead of a rear view camera, I installed a fresnel lens to the rear window so that I can see that the CRV is still being towed.
Not quite so convenient as a camera, but a lot cheaper and no holes drilled into the roof of the RV!

DAVID H
northampton1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'd put all the junk packed into the van, into the toad and use it as a trailer,
just to free up space in my RV.