Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2009 Roadtrek 210P Bed Options

Saw a post asking about a mattress which got me to thinking of replacing ours. I have similar question for a 2009 Roadtrek 210p. One side is a twin and other is a twin long, figured we'd keep them split apart as I'm a light sleeper. (Use those measurements loosely since neither are truly as wide as a real twin as well as exactly that long.

Issue I have is that distance between existing "bed" and first cabinets isn't usable w 6" so we'd lose about 4-6" of foot space.

There were two options we'd consider: toppers or actually replacing the exist which is converted into back couch or use toppers.

If we're to go topper either of these would be usable. https://www.costco.com/live-comforta....11757939.html

Mattress Topper Twin 39x75 Inches Quilted Plush Down Alternative Pillow Top Fitted Skirt Protector Mattress Pad Reviver Enhancer Deep Pocket Fits 8-20 , 21 Inches Soft White Bed Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5DRRNJ..._a4DaEbSFVCJQV

Recommendation on either topper? What about converting into two separate beds altogether? (Keeping in mind if we converted then would store factory bed in case we sold van.)

Love to hear about someone replacing the automatic bed/sofa in the back with something dedicates, especially split apart.
....long winded I know.
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I don't understand your 2nd paragraph about space between beds + cabinets but I have a PW, so it's probably a RT thing. Anyways we've been camping with the split beds for several years now and enjoy the lack of hassle. We leave the beds setup with quilts and we sit on them when we eat at the table that goes between.

To the heart of it:

The 22 year old foam was hard and what we just recently did was to have a mattress company make 2 mattresses for us. We're storing the originals. In our PW we have cabinets that overhang the ends of the bed. That affected the height of the mattress and limited it to c.6" (as the original). Ours were made with 3" of softer foam, 2" of latex foam and a 2" all-cotton topper. We would have liked to have gone with pocket coil construction but the smallest that they worked with was 6" and that would have put us slightly over 8" which would have made foot clearance with the cabinets an issue.

We got them for Xmas. Will go to southern AZ after NY and test them out but they are more comfortable than the originals.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As far as I know, the cushions should go all the way to the cabinets on both sides, assuming you have all the supports and filler pieces to make it work.

Here is the manual for a 2010 model as they don't show a 2009 manual online. In the bed area of the manual they show how it works and a pic of the cushions all the way to the cabinets.

https://www.roadtrek.com/download/1566&file_id=1567
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I don't understand your 2nd paragraph about space between beds + cabinets but I have a PW, so it's probably a RT thing. Anyways we've been camping with the split beds for several years now and enjoy the lack of hassle. We leave the beds setup with quilts and we sit on them when we eat at the table that goes between.

To the heart of it:

The 22 year old foam was hard and what we just recently did was to have a mattress company make 2 mattresses for us. We're storing the originals. In our PW we have cabinets that overhang the ends of the bed. That affected the height of the mattress and limited it to c.6" (as the original). Ours were made with 3" of softer foam, 2" of latex foam and a 2" all-cotton topper. We would have liked to have gone with pocket coil construction but the smallest that they worked with was 6" and that would have put us slightly over 8" which would have made foot clearance with the cabinets an issue.

We got them for Xmas. Will go to southern AZ after NY and test them out but they are more comfortable than the originals.
There's small section between the beds, see vid around 2:16 https://youtu.be/D1T1bkqZbBU

What the bed on left is used there is ~6" of it under a cabinet with ~6" of clearance so a 6" topper means I lose bed space.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The issue of foot clearance and overhanging cabinets sounds similar. It precludes the solution of adding a thick topper over the existing cushions.

Seems like the OP has the optional folding sofa at the back. And yes, you could remove it and build a fixed base. I’d be inclined include a bridge/nightstand over the middle to preserve the full-width storage under the bed. Then order custom “twin” mattresses to whatever spec you desire in terms of thickness and firmness.

Storing the folding sofa for future resale is probably a good idea. Some people (like us) need the extra belted seats.

I’d try a thin topper first. I can’t speak to the specific ones you linked.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The issue of foot clearance and overhanging cabinets sounds similar. It precludes the solution of adding a thick topper over the existing cushions.

Seems like the OP has the optional folding sofa at the back. And yes, you could remove it and build a fixed base. I’d be inclined include a bridge/nightstand over the middle to preserve the full-width storage under the bed. Then order custom “twin” mattresses to whatever spec you desire in terms of thickness and firmness.

Storing the folding sofa for future resale is probably a good idea. Some people (like us) need the extra belted seats.

I’d try a thin topper first. I can’t speak to the specific ones you linked.
Tough decision as I'm likely to just use the topper. I don't have an issue w the bed, am able to literally sleep on concrete if needed. My wife has issues since she needs something softer. (Yes, literally concrete....did a foot relay race in Texas heat and colder place to sleep wasn't in a van but on concrete.)

Much appreciated on the reply back, any recommendations are always welcome.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

How about a down comforter for your wife? A full size folded in half lengthwise would make a narrow twin. You could make a custom, washable cover. Should make a nice soft surface to sleep on, like a feather bed. Shake and fluff daily.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
How about a down comforter for your wife? A full size folded in half lengthwise would make a narrow twin. You could make a custom, washable cover. Should make a nice soft surface to sleep on, like a feather bed. Shake and fluff daily.
We're doing that right now and works to a degree. Just want something more substantial.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You can have a mattress or multiple ones in any shape and size you desire, that is what we did for our permanent bed in our Roadtrek 190P Chevy.

We found the best to be latex foam for comfort so that is what we got, in 5." thick with a regular mattress cover on one side and plain fabric on the the other. We then had it upholstered to closely match the rest of the van.

You can check with marine mattress companies, which we did for ours, but they are expensive with excellent quality. Minnesota Mattress will also make you whatever you want in any foam you want and would be much less expensive, I think. That is where we got our home mattress made to our foam choice.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You can have a mattress or multiple ones in any shape and size you desire, that is what we did for our permanent bed in our Roadtrek 190P Chevy.

We found the best to be latex foam for comfort so that is what we got, in 5." thick with a regular mattress cover on one side and plain fabric on the the other. We then had it upholstered to closely match the rest of the van.

You can check with marine mattress companies, which we did for ours, but they are expensive with excellent quality. Minnesota Mattress will also make you whatever you want in any foam you want and would be much less expensive, I think. That is where we got our home mattress made to our foam choice.
How do you do that with the power folding sofa at the back?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
How do you do that with the power folding sofa at the back?

They will make the latex mattresses in folding versions, at least at the marine companies. I did ask about it back then, and they thought it would work OK on a folder, but never pursued it because we were going to a full time bed.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We did similar to what Booster did, i.e., having a local mattress company make custom ones. We made some paper or cardboard templates of the exact shape we wanted as the walls of Chevy Express van taper fore-and-aft, and also there are the rather large rear corner posts to work around. Hence, our mattresses are constant width, but the aisle is wider in the front than the back. And lotsa storage under the bed without the couch supports there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV bed 028.jpg (138.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg RV bed 011.jpg (182.9 KB, 13 views)
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

To the OP, many people put in the filler between the beds and one or the sleepers put their feet in that are to get extra length. I think that might also work with a topper for added height.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

This is so helpful to me, I was just about to ask something similar! I have the same issue with the power sofa in the rear of my 2003 Sprinter Xplorer van. I have back problems and feel like I'm sleeping on the floor, despite a 2" memory foam topper and a thick doubled sleeping bag being on it.. I was also thinking about removing the sofa and having a custom bed built also but have the issue with much needed closet space at the foot of both sides of the bed.☹️
paminmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

The power sofa bed in my RS Adventurous killed my back from day one. I took the rig to a local cabinette maker and had him take it out and build two platforms and a bed side stand. I ordered custom size mattresses from www.thefoamfactory.com. I slept great on the new bed on my last trip which was for the entire month of November.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191026_105133.jpg (233.9 KB, 15 views)
gwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:53 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanpierce@gmail.com View Post
Saw a post asking about a mattress which got me to thinking of replacing ours. I have similar question for a 2009 Roadtrek 210p. One side is a twin and other is a twin long, figured we'd keep them split apart as I'm a light sleeper. (Use those measurements loosely since neither are truly as wide as a real twin as well as exactly that long.

Issue I have is that distance between existing "bed" and first cabinets isn't usable w 6" so we'd lose about 4-6" of foot space.

There were two options we'd consider: toppers or actually replacing the exist which is converted into back couch or use toppers.

If we're to go topper either of these would be usable. https://www.costco.com/live-comforta....11757939.html

Mattress Topper Twin 39x75 Inches Quilted Plush Down Alternative Pillow Top Fitted Skirt Protector Mattress Pad Reviver Enhancer Deep Pocket Fits 8-20 , 21 Inches Soft White Bed Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5DRRNJ..._a4DaEbSFVCJQV

Recommendation on either topper? What about converting into two separate beds altogether? (Keeping in mind if we converted then would store factory bed in case we sold van.)

Love to hear about someone replacing the automatic bed/sofa in the back with something dedicates, especially split apart.
....long winded I know.
I have 4” Memory Foam topper on my single bed...made a HUGE difference in comfort!!
Had a $600 custom made bed made for my former tear-drop trailer, it was not as good as my current (much cheaper) topper!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:57 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Did you consider Froli springs, they are gaining popularity in NA.

https://nickleatlantic.com/

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #18
Silver Member

Default Twin Rear Beds from Power Sofa

We have left our power sofa in place in our PW but we leave it down. From that we have had created a 2" thin topper by a handy neighbor and a custom 2" thin topper for the area on the sofa between the two beds which our cat lays on. It is a tight fit for our feet under the cabinets, but on a cold night in sleeping bags we hardly notice.

I suppose the idea of removing the power sofa altogether and ottoman cushions is a good idea because it gives you more mattress options and more storage, but then you need to store the original equipment somewhere, and truth be told we are not that handy - although it doesn't seem too hard to make a platform.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:33 AM   #19
Platinum Member

GeorgeRa: Yes. This is the next step. On my PW I had to put down a solid base for the new mattresses since the original cushions had 1/2' ply as the support. If the new ones aren't soft enough I will add this system under.

Will update forum after we camp for the first time with the new mattresses. Not sure when but the end of Jan at the latest.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote