Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default 2011 PW Plateau Radio Question

Hi all!
I'm finally getting close to picking up my new-to-me PW Plateau! It's in FL and I'm flying down on Sun!

The in-dash chassis radio is simply AM/FM/CD and does not have an AUX input jack for my iPod. I'm planning on getting the radio replaced ASAP since having music while I'm driving is a non-negotiable!

In the back of the coach, by the TV, there is another radio, and oddly enough this one has an AUX input jack for my iPod - I haven't seen it yet but from the picture I have it looks like this radio is also a car radio type....does anyone know if I can take that radio out and have it installed in the dash? That way I can use my iPod while I'm driving and have the sound come out of the high quality Bose speakers? This thought just occurred to me so I could fix the problem without buying new hardware!

I have considered trying to hook up my iPod to that radio and listen to it while driving, but the problem is that the sound from the rear radio doesn't come through the cab speakers so it will be hard to hear over the engine noise and I won't be able to change the song because the cord isn't long enough to reach from the radio to the driver seat....

And before you ask, yes, I've considered getting an FM receiver for the iPod but I had one once and it really didn't work well, I'd rather save the money to put into a good radio. My mom bought me a small iPod speaker that I can use or I can just open up my computer and play directly from iTunes until I get myself together to get it fixed.

The idea to swap out the back radio for the in-dash radio just popped into my head and I wanted to explore if it was even possible!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2011 PW Plateau Radio Question

In the Sprinter-Resource forum there has been extensive discussion on adding an aux jack to the dash radio. I've explored it, even disassembled my radio to check, but haven't attempted it yet. It seems simple enough to do.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thanks Davydd! I hadn't even considered just adding a aux input jack...didn't even know that was possible!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Can't wait to hear your trip report. We got home last night with our new LTV Free Spirit!
puppie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm finding putting a jack in is not as simple as I thought it would be. There is a module in the back of the Mercedes Benz factory Becker Sound 5 radio that is supposed to receive module plug ins connecting to a 30 pin connector for the iPod/iPhone/iPad only those radios manufactured by Mobius in China will not work. Not all Sound 5 radios are Mobius which makes it confusing. Unfortunately mine is. You can still use that module connection with an AUX audio jack which is what most radios have.

I noticed Great West Vans have been swapping out the factory radio with an Alpine Sirius ready and iPod AUX jack radio. I think you can get that radio at Best Buy or one similar. But it takes some work to make it happen and to me just doesn't look like it belongs. I may yet just settle for the AUX jack with the module plug in to the back of the radio and bring it out from under the dash.

This is the cable that will work with older iPods but not iPhones, iPads and newer iPod Touch.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR.html

This is the cable that will work with iPhones, etc. but not with the Mobius manufactured Sound 5 radio.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR2.html

Nor will this work with a Mobius manufactured radio..

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR3.html

This page describes two solutions either 30 pin connector or AUX connector...

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/ ... 20220.html

Except this page says if you have labeled preset buttons you have a Mobius manufactured Sound 5 radio and only the AUX jack will work.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Dodge/in ... d%205.html

Confusing no? If you have a Sound 5 radio with no preset labels you are probably OK. If you don't have a Sound 5 radio in your Sprinter then you have some more research to do.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Gold Member

Davyyd, I read the link you sent last week and was intrigued and baffled at the same time!

I now have my PW (I didn't when I 1st posted) and have looked at the back radio in the entertainment center and noticed that it has the DVD player for the TV in it so I can't move it up to the cab.

My plan for now is to take the coach over to Best Buy or maybe a car stereo store and talk to them about replacing the radio. Should be easy...hopefully!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
Platinum Member

teachergal, can you play a DVD through the sound system while driving? If so, you can make music DVDs that will play on your unit. Each music DVD can hold about 26 hours of music. I discovered this when we bought a minivan awhile back that came with a rear DVD player.

It might also be worth checking out if your sound system connector is set up for a CD changer. I found this to be the case on that same minivan and then found a few manufacturers of a device that plugs into that connector and give both iPod and USB input options. For a USB memory stick, it mimics a CD changer, allowing me to switch between 10 playlists of 99 songs each. GROM was the mfr of the unit I bought, but there were a few others.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The DVD in the back of a Pleasure-way is set up to play through the speakers in the back only and not up front at the cab. Also, it is there for playing movies through the TV. Could you crank up the sound enough to hear? Just barely and unsatisfactorily IMO.

Teachergal, I don't know if I understand what I posted other than the bottom line might be to just go and get a new radio installed. This is what I saw in a new 2012 Great West Legend EX Sprinter this week coming from the factory.

iPod-Serius Ready Radio by Davydd, on Flickr
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #9

We had LazyDays install a JVC custom GPS, bluetooth, HD radio we ordered from Crutchfield. Love the equipment and they did a great job with the installation. Only issue is the camera doesnot come on automatically whem you drop the gear into reverse. I think I can live with that. Takes one extra step, otherwise, works fantastic. (Pricey, but good...)
budnmary1 is offline   Reply With Quote