Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #1

Default 2013 Great West Vans side airbags

We just purchased a 2103 Great West Legend SE. According to Great West Vans brochure and website, we are supposed to have side airbags. These are not mentioned as being an option.

However, I noticed today that the seats are not marked with the word "airbag" so I'm concerned that our van is not actually equipped with side airbags. Which won't make me very happy as I was In a substantial auto accident last year.

Are the seats supposed to be marked? The chassis is a 2011. Thank you in advance.
dmeni53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2013 Great West Vans side airbags

2013 Great West on a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter?

I think it is Mercedes option code SH9 (or SH6 or SH7) you are looking for. I'm not 100% sure. I suggest checking with Mercedes to know for sure.

Quote:
SH9 - Airbag, Driver/Passenger Window - $720 Front curtain airbag
SH6 Airbag, Driver Thorax - $300 -D side airbag
SH7 Airbag, Driver/Passenger Thorax - $420 -Front side airbag
On my GM van there's a sticker with the list of RPO codes on the passenger door. Those codes are all the options my van came with from GM. I entered them into an online decoder and printed out all of my van's included options. Maybe your Sprinter has a similar sticker.

If there is a Mercedes dealer nearby they should be able to tell you every option that your Mercedes came with. Maybe they'd even give you a print out.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There are two kinds of side airbags. The Thorax side airbag is mounted on the outer side of the seat. The side window airbag is in the panel just above the door window. I double checked my 2011 (2010 chassis) Great West Van and they are not there. If you look in the Mercedes Benz vehicle manual that came with your van you'll see them described. The GWVan brochure mention says, "Driver and passenger side airbags." It is also mentioned in my model year so it is not a new thing. However, it is a semantics thing. I think all they are saying is both the driver's side and the passenger's side has airbags which are standard in the front anyway by law. I didn't misinterpret and just assumed they were talking about standard front airbags as the side airbags are very expensive and would have definitely been listed as an option not a standard. I've never seen any Sprinter B that has side airbags or even mentioned as an option in anyone's brochure.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Thank you both very much for the thoughtful replies. I did not know about the RPO codes, appreciate that idea. And, sorry, it is a Sprinter-based van.

I just joined this forum recently but had been checking in, reading posts, for the past few years as a Class B has been my "dream" RV. I joined as soon as I had the chance after we bought the van. We traded in a truck camper and 1-ton dually for a Great West Legend SE. The truck camper was very nice, but we really love the Legend. It's easier to drive and maneuver and a lot less hassle. We've only had it for a few weeks and haven't had the opportunity to go anywhere with it yet -- we're just enjoying setting it up for travel and will be heading to North Carolina in several weeks.

I agree with Davydd - semantics. I guess you could call it a head slapping moment, my husband actually laughed when I told him (but he'd thought the same thing). I'm disappointed but it won't stop us from enjoying our travels.

Again, thank you.
dmeni53 is offline   Reply With Quote