Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2013 Sprinter Blown Starter Motor Fuse

Well, we broke Scout (our 2013 GWV Legend) out of storage today. We have been kind of RV distracted after purchasing a new boat and exploring the very cool Florida ICW near us.

On to the story. After parking Scout in the drive, I decided to move it a little bit to the left to make plugging in shore power easier. No Start. The starter did not even turn. I suspected that Scout had chosen to punish us for neglecting her, by forcing us to purchase a new battery. So, we went to work and gained access to the battery to remove it and purchase a replacement. After gaining access, I put a multimeter to the battery and it was producing 12.5 volts. Not a battery problem.

I called Mercedes roadside assistance, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

The dispatcher told me that there is a known issue for certain years of Sprinters that the 20a starter motor fuse blows, and needs to be replaced with a 25a fuse.

I checked and voila, we had a blown starter battery fuse. I replaced it with a 25a fuse and we are good to go tomorrow.

My words of advice are, if you have this generation or Sprinter obtain a spare 20a and 25a fuse and be prepared to replace it should you have this happen.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2013 Sprinter Blown Starter Motor Fuse

Gordon,

Been there, done that. In fact I may have reported the problem online already as I created this photo and posted it showing where to find the fuse. Interestingly, the Freightliner service center claimed it was a cold weather problem. Evidently not, if in Florida. I had already solved my problem before I contacted Freightliner. I just wanted to confirm if the 25 amp fuse was OK to use.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Voila!

http://www.aev.com/uploads/file/SPRINTE ... ART%20.pdf
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Davydd, I should have paid closer attention. I most likely ignored that thinking that my GWV is a 2013. However it is built on a 2012 chassis.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Hmmm ... the Fuse Allocation Supplement booklet that came with my 2013 (built in 9/2012) is incorrect. The correct one for the 2013 is available online. The starter fuse is on the panel on the side of the driver's seat - position 28. And it is indeed 20a rather than 25a. Thanks for the original post.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Amazing how MB can tell dealers to replace 20 amp fuse with 25 when a poor owner has been stranded with a no start condition instead of doing a recall to get the correct fuse installed.