Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 Ford Transit Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
It would be nice if Ford took advantage of the conversion market and priced these things reasonably. If they're a decent MB Sprinter substitute, it could spell the end of the Sprinter as a base chassis. Particularly if the interior layout and specs are comparable. Converters could substitute them for the more expensive starting point. Keeping costs down, might allow lower retail prices, and increase sales volume.
Interesting that they don't have dual rear wheels? Wonder why? Or, are the pics simply an artist's conceptions or prototypes from the drafting table?
At that length and like a 2007 Sprinter, it doesnt need dualies out back. Rwd and a good engine/txn(Ford diesel looking promising) and I see a cheaper Sprinter alternative, all interior furnishings being equal. The cost difference would be in the Ford van versus MB Sprinter. I predict the Ford will be the preferred platform. A lot depends though on GVWR. It is easier to park non-dualies on city streets here. In Winnipeg, where I am going this summer, you get a ticket for parking a 6 wheel vehicle on the street for more than ONE hour--unless you get lucky. My 06 PW should be ok.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 / 2015 Ford Transit Van

I finally got around to calling Coach House about a few things about my rig, such as adding dual rear wheels, front stabilizer and a few diagrams about certain things. They were very helpful on most things and was glad that I made the call. I got around to asking him about the Transit and what, if any, plans they had for it. He told me they were very excited about it and had many "secret" plans for it. He wouldn't tell me any secrets on it even when pressed. They have the Arriva on the MB platform but have yet to see a single one except on their facebook page, a very nice rig by the way. Maybe someday soon I'll be able to check one out.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:46 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 Ford Transit Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Ford Transit combinator tool from Ford:

Quote:
Transit Combinator lets you explore all the ways to configure a 2014 Ford Transit cargo van, passenger wagon, chassis cab
or cutaway. You can mix and match the four available bodystyles, five wheelbases and four roof heights. It's as easy as 1-2-3.
http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/t ... ombinator/

[quotej9ps1nc]Transit Van with Long Wheelbase and High Roof

• Carry tall cargo up to 6-ft./5-in. upright
• 11-ft./6-in. load floor length
• GVWR from 9,000 to 9,500 lbs.
• Models: 250 and 350 SRW
[/quotej9ps1nc]

Interesting. With the LWB model a GVWR of around 9500 lbs should be OK with single wheels at back. I have found here that i can park my single rear wheels PW on city streets but with duals out back the cops get grumpy. Bylaws vary but I almost got ticketed parking my previous dualie C class outside my sons house. I think the lwb length will be good for RV conversion. Lengths over 22ft9ins as Davydd and I agree on just become a problem especially with turning circles on 24ft models(actually C's). I believe there is a good market for the Transit and it has good clearance. I am looking forward like you and others to see what emerges from designer drawing boards.
AL
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #44
Platinum Member

I wonder if the difference between singles and duals will make a major difference with how it can be upfitted. With singles, there is a 9000/9500 pound capacity; duals give 9950 to 10360 pounds. Given the choice, I'd rather have singles because it means two fewer tires to worry about, but if it means a useless towing capacity or flirting with the edge of the van's weight limit when upfitted, gear inside, and all tanks full, I'd probably just go for the duals. Plus singles intrude into the coach compartment a bit less.

I like the extended length. It is long enough to have amenities such as a decent bathroom, full size beds in the back, and ample storage, but not so long as to make parking it an exercise in futility other than the RV spaces (which for some apparent reason become compact car spaces) at Cracker Barrel.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If it's priced close, powered better, and has more load capacity as a RWD van than the Promaster, it's got to be a winner for conversion companies. It then becomes a feasible replacement for the Sprinter, and has all the advantages here in North America that we've all discussed already.
The ball is really in Ford's court at this point, and I hope Alan Mulally will close the deal. I suspect there may even be some post-prototype tweaks going on behind the scenes, now that Dodge has put the Promaster cards on the table.
btw, has anyone heard any chatter, good or bad, about the Promaster, by itself, or in it's converted form?
It's been out there for a while now, and I'm starting to see them around.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If it's priced close, powered better, and has more load capacity as a RWD van than the Promaster, it's got to be a winner for conversion companies. It then becomes a feasible replacement for the Sprinter, and has all the advantages here in North America that we've all discussed already.
The ball is really in Ford's court at this point, and I hope Alan Mulally will close the deal. I suspect there may even be some post-prototype tweaks going on behind the scenes, now that Dodge has put the Promaster cards on the table.
btw, has anyone heard any chatter, good or bad, about the Promaster, by itself, or in it's converted form?
It's been out there for a while now, and I'm starting to see them around.
Yes, Mike. You have summed up our collective thoughts pretty well on the Ford Transit(LWB). Even in our comparatively tiny market here, a Ford based Transit the size of current Sprinters no more than 22ft9 ins and, with a diesel option will be an attractive RV package if the fabricators do it right.
AL
Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #47
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
... I think a Sportsmobile upfit on an EB Transit will be just as good (if not better because a gasoline generator can be used instead of a propane one) , as a Sprinter for my needs, without hurting the wallet too badly, especially if Ford matches FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automotive) with the $5000 upfit incentive.
I was just revisiting and catching up on this topic as saw your post mentioning the "upfit incentive"... Yes it will be interesting to see what may be available to entice buyers. When my wife and i purchased our Chevy AWD the fleet manager found a silly loophole for cargo van buyers that allowed us to include the fiberglass roof and fiama awning on the van and was all part of the original loan papers without increasing the cost of the van itself

Thom